Author Topic: Outdoor sports - Golf  (Read 425 times)

Devonian

Outdoor sports - Golf
« on: Oct 18, 2019, 07:35:26 PM »
Leaving Sainsburys back in April with a heavily loaded trolley it suddenly developed a mind of its own on a slight incline down to the car, causing me apparently to do an aerial cartwheel landing on my left hip. Needless to say it had broken, so had a titanium implant a few days later then out of action and stuck at home for about 5/6 weeks hobbling around with an equally mindless Zimmer.

As I've played a lot of average tennis and golf down the years and the main hip ligament now firmly attached to the bone I hope (!), I started thinking safest way to start playing again is with golf first and tennis later. Now I don’t know if there are any expert golfers here but if there are it would be interesting to hear their views. So googled around and found the website below which said….

“You may consider slightly altering your technique as well. While pro golfers may teach you to swing with your feet flat on the ground, orthopedic surgeons often recommend any golfer with a hip replacement to play “on the toes” to reduce stress on the joint. On the backswing, lift the front heel off the ground and on the downswing, lift the back heel off the ground….” the latter in italics sounding very interesting indeed. However because it doesn't say which foot is being referred to, I found it easiest in the lounge to lift the left heel on the backswing and the right heel on the follow through downswing, not once losing my balance after many practice swings which is very much a first !

https://thekennedycenteroshkosh.com/2019/04/golfing-after-joint-replacement-surgery/

So went into the garden and discovered that remarkably I was still able to keep my whole upper body steady for the first time ever, instead of trying to keep still throughout the whole swing without once overbalancing and the usual hook or slice !

Next stop is the local driving range in a day or two so would be interested to first hear any views on all this.

Tennis next…. :)

Hugh

Re: Outdoor sports - Golf
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2019, 07:56:56 PM »
Hello Devonian so pleased some one else on here shares my love of Golf. My advice to you listen to what your own body telling you. I am 80 and with it comes pains of old age. My right knee will not allow me to walk to far so I use a buggy. Doing a full swing getting very hard to do so like many other elderly people in our club do an half swing. Chances are the ball will land on the fare way and not in the rough like many big hitters. I did not start playing golf until I was in the seventies, 73 I think. So listen to your body and play to your ability which I have had to do.

I have started swimming to gain some upper body strength and get fitter with out hurting myself.