Author Topic: Abomination  (Read 991 times)

Diasi

Re: Abomination
« Reply #15 on: Oct 21, 2019, 01:57:14 PM »
We have family on the Isle of Lewis and they say the island is pretty divided about the Sunday Trading Laws. The older generations and long time residents want to keep the Sabbath. The Incomers and young ones want it to end..

If I went to live on one of the islands I'd see it as my duty to fit in with their way of life & not for them to change it to fit in with me.

If the islanders wanted to change things then that would be a different matter.

I was invited to a bonfire night social do in a tiny hamlet in Scotland & the village hall was on a very narrow single track road & the protocol was that all the drivers left their cars unlocked with the keys in the ignition so that anyone wanting to get past could move them, so I did the same.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

xetog

« Reply #16 on: Oct 21, 2019, 02:40:47 PM »
In the case of Lewis, I am pretty sure that the population in the main wanted to move a bit more with the times but were represses by religious dogma on an island isolated from outside influence.  The control exercised by the church was akin to the middle ages with a population in fear of the religious hierarchy.  I understand the desire to keep old ideas and traditions alive but the hold of the kirk over ordinary people was unhealthy.  Unfortunately, once one bastion falls, others are not slow to follow, but I believe it has been for the general good, although not every change has proven so.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Raven

« Reply #17 on: Oct 21, 2019, 03:56:22 PM »

Your correct Xetog, as far as I can remember it was all because an incomer who owned a shop in Stornaway decided to go in one  Sunday and catch up with some paperwork, the shop was closed but visitors saw her through the window and knocked. She let them in....as you do, and she ended up doing a fair trade. The church heard about it and a massive row started.
I remember when I was small and we still lived on Mull, I wasn't even allowed to go out and play on a Sunday, I had to stay in the house and play QUIETLY in my room. It was very different when we moved over to the mainland.

stellamaris

« Reply #18 on: Oct 21, 2019, 04:19:50 PM »
The Palace Theatre was where it opened on the 9th August 1972.

Thanks Diasi,  l, I have been looking at that.  My problem is that I am not relating to The Palace Theatre [sizewise] or the timeline at all.  I'm beginning to think we went to see some sort of practice/rehearsal/trial run type show in a fringe theatre.  Those that organised it were involved in theatre production/stage work etc but I haven't seen or heard any of them for years and years and they could be dead. I don't want to renew acquaintance with the only one I could contact.    I thought the film was good anyway, so I'll just forget the rest.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Traveller

« Reply #19 on: Oct 21, 2019, 04:38:46 PM »
I see that the DUP have failed to force through anti-abortion legislation when the SDLP walked out and so they couldn't agree (as required) a speaker with cross party support. To his credit, the speaker appointed by the DUP refused to suspend  parliamentary rules to allow 'debate' to take place.   It does however leave  N.I. with the most unregulated abortion laws which brings its own problems.
You'll have had your tea.