Author Topic: Sunday dinner...  (Read 3821 times)

minniemouse

Re: Sunday dinner...
« Reply #30 on: Nov 03, 2019, 03:20:11 PM »
I was clearing out my cupboards today and came across a 3 tier steamer.  When Mom lived with me during the last years of her life I always used the steamer for the vegetables, especially with the traditional Sunday lunch.  Living on my own I no longer bother.  Do other members use a steamer when cooking vegetables?
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Floydian

« Reply #31 on: Nov 03, 2019, 03:35:02 PM »
Yes we have one Min, it was one of lidl's middle aisle bargains a couple of years ago. Does anyone still use a pressure cooker these days? I'm sure we got a 'prestige hi dome' one as a wedding present.
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

Alex22

« Reply #32 on: Nov 03, 2019, 03:40:49 PM »
I haven't got a steamer my veg goes in a pan or the microwave, no pressure cooker either, but I do have an air fryer and that's great  ! 

Hugh

« Reply #33 on: Nov 03, 2019, 03:58:51 PM »
I have one Minniemouse and must start using it again because it makes greens tasted much better.

Scrumpy

« Reply #34 on: Nov 03, 2019, 05:16:54 PM »
I too have a 3 tier steamer..

I use it to steam fish.. along with veg.. I wrap the fish in tinfoil with a knob of butter..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

zoony

« Reply #35 on: Nov 03, 2019, 05:19:40 PM »
Tut! One-track mind you 'ave..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

minniemouse

« Reply #36 on: Nov 04, 2019, 09:24:05 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

That's a great idea Scrumpy, I think I'll try that.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Alfred

« Reply #37 on: Nov 04, 2019, 01:56:20 PM »
We have a roast most Sundays, beef, or lamb , some times its change then it could be a nice chicken pie, with roast potatoes and vegetables and all the trimmings, as their are four of us for dinner, my son, and daughter,.

so  our Sunday roast does, and can vary,
on other occasions I'm partial to a nice couple of pork chops roasted  in apple sauce , plus roast potatoes ,vegetables, etc,

Regarding pressure cookers, my wife has several, but in recent times depending on say really cold  weather then out comes the slow cooker instead, then we could end up having a nice meaty stew instead , not a roast  but very enjoyable never the less,.

sparky

« Reply #38 on: Nov 04, 2019, 02:04:08 PM »
Alf,  yeah I think we are traditionalists, we also have a roast on a Sunday, for me Sunday would not b the same without a roast, and then more often than not, a kip in an armchair.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #39 on: Nov 04, 2019, 02:24:34 PM »
For those of you sitting down to a roast - how many at table? Once the children had left home, Veronica and I didn't think it worthwhile to have a roast just for the two of us, and obviously that is even more the case now that it is just me
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Hugh

« Reply #40 on: Nov 04, 2019, 03:17:18 PM »
Mike it just a question of having a balanced diet. We are both on our own so I know how easy it is not to eat correctly. Sunday I had a full Sunday roast for a change, Brisk, mixed veg, roast & mash potatoes and Yorkshire puddings.

Alex22

« Reply #41 on: Nov 04, 2019, 03:34:31 PM »
For those of you sitting down to a roast - how many at table? Once the children had left home, Veronica and I didn't think it worthwhile to have a roast just for the two of us, and obviously that is even more the case now that it is just me
Mike
I enjoy a roast dinner,  I'm also on my own  but that doesn't stop me enjoying one of life's little pleasures.
Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life Mike.

Hugh

« Reply #42 on: Nov 04, 2019, 05:32:29 PM »
This evening a simple meal sausage's, eggs and chips. 

Michael Rolls

« Reply #43 on: Nov 04, 2019, 05:45:11 PM »
When you say a roast - if you are on your own - how big a roast? The amount I eat, a roast pigeon would be adequate portion-wise.
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #44 on: Nov 04, 2019, 05:52:52 PM »
And on the question of ready meals, when Veronica was so ill in December 2017 and her sister Mary was up here I laid in three frozen turkey dinners for us as cooking would have been a distraction. In the event, sdaly, Veronica never came back from hospital and those turkey dinners stayed in the freezer for a while. Mary came up at the Easter and we had one each, and I had the last one a month or two later. OK, they weren't as good as the turkey dinners Veronica had cooked over the years, but they were very palatable. Thinking about it, Veronica used to make gorgeouas stuffing to accompany the bird - the ready stuffing wasn't a patch of her's
Mike