Author Topic: Supporting a charity.  (Read 928 times)

brian54

Supporting a charity.
« on: Oct 23, 2019, 06:59:45 AM »
Somebody was moaning last night that I only support CRUK because it affected my wife.
Most of the people i know who support cruk have been affected by cancer.
He said i support the homeless. Why should i. Cancer can affect anybody. The homeless just want an easy life.

ronyork

Re: Supporting a charity.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2019, 09:02:30 AM »
I support that crowd in the house of lords   plus the royal shower, (that crowd who have wonderful trips, the best of everything and call it hard WORK!!!!!? ??? ?

Maddie Malone

« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2019, 09:35:37 AM »
Brian May I suggest through this coming winter you put your coat on take Andy and Peter with you and stand outside your house , imagine that all you have is the clothes your wearing , no house , no car and possibly no family just you Andy and Peter .
It suddenly starts snowing , you have no where  to go , no money and nothing to eat .
Your freezing cold and know where to go .
Then let yourself back into your warm cosy home and perhaps for once be grateful that you are lucky for what you have  and there are others who aren't so lucky .
Being homeless could happen to anybody .

brian54

« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2019, 10:09:41 AM »
Brian May I suggest through this coming winter you put your coat on take Andy and Peter with you and stand outside your house , imagine that all you have is the clothes your wearing , no house , no car and possibly no family just you Andy and Peter .
It suddenly starts snowing , you have no where  to go , no money and nothing to eat .
Your freezing cold and know where to go .
Then let yourself back into your warm cosy home and perhaps for once be grateful that you are lucky for what you have  and there are others who aren't so lucky .

I went to my daughters house last winter when my central heating broke down. Andy and Peter came. British Gas repaired it the next morning. With 2 dogs the house is never perfect.

Floydian

« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2019, 10:17:36 AM »

Really? Do you personally know of anyone it's happened to? I haven't. Anybody else?
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

brian54

« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2019, 10:19:07 AM »

Really? Do you personally know of anyone it's happened to?

No. Everybody I know has jobs or pensions.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2019, 01:06:03 PM »
Homelessness can happen, although hardly to anyone/everyone. About fifty/fifty five years ago a friend of my late sister was evicted for non-payment of rent. He was, at that point, homeless, but he didn't end up on the street - he dossed with friends (not us - couldn't stand the man) until he was able to sort things out, but I suppose if he hadn't had helpful friends he could well have ended up on the street, although as he still had a job, hopefully not for long
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

GrannyMac

« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2019, 01:15:40 PM »
I used to interview people who presented as homeless.  Some were trying to jump the housing queue, some were the result of broken relationships, some were teens whose parents had introduced a new partner into the home, some had lost their home through unemployment, illness, brereavement. Some unfortunately were extremely difficult cases, a roof over their head wasn't the answer.

For those of us in stable families, with the ability and opportunity to earn enough to support ourselves, becoming homeless may seem like irresponsibility, or laziness, or money going on alcohol/drugs/gambling.   Any of those may feature, but some folk just seem to have drawn very short straws. 
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/homeless-children-child-homelessness-social-housing-crisis-shortage-affordable-homes-what-is-it-like-a7865461.html

I count my blessings to be of reasonable intelligence, to have been born in the UK, to have a warm home and enough to live on.  I'm very aware that many beggars are not homeless, and I don't give money to them. But I still support a local charity for the homeless.  A shoebox at Christmas is one way they help not only those on the street, but children like those in the link, or the elderly who have no one, and little money.  My shoebox will go to a young woman in a refuge.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Ashy

« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2019, 01:46:04 PM »
Let those that want to support the homeless do so, and those that don't, do not so. If you got it, get it.

zoony

« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2019, 02:08:35 PM »
I used to interview people who presented as homeless.  Some were trying to jump the housing queue, some were the result of broken relationships, some were teens whose parents had introduced a new partner into the home, some had lost their home through unemployment, illness, brereavement. Some unfortunately were extremely difficult cases, a roof over their head wasn't the answer.

For those of us in stable families, with the ability and opportunity to earn enough to support ourselves, becoming homeless may seem like irresponsibility, or laziness, or money going on alcohol/drugs/gambling.   Any of those may feature, but some folk just seem to have drawn very short straws. 
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/homeless-children-child-homelessness-social-housing-crisis-shortage-affordable-homes-what-is-it-like-a7865461.html

I count my blessings to be of reasonable intelligence, to have been born in the UK, to have a warm home and enough to live on.  I'm very aware that many beggars are not homeless, and I don't give money to them. But I still support a local charity for the homeless.  A shoebox at Christmas is one way they help not only those on the street, but children like those in the link, or the elderly who have no one, and little money.  My shoebox will go to a young woman in a refuge.

Good on yer Mac. The world would be a nicer place with a few more like you in it.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

sparky

« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2019, 02:12:16 PM »
Like GrannyMac. I have all I need and more, I am sure many  homeless just need a kick up the a**e. but there must also be many that have ended up in that situation due to various circumstances, that we cannot imagine, and they  find it impossible to rise out of,  so there but for the grace of God.

GrannyMac

« Reply #11 on: Oct 23, 2019, 02:28:00 PM »
Let those that want to support the homeless do so, and those that don't, do not so. If you got it, get it.

Absolutely. People support different causes, that's natural.

R. Gervais

Alex22

« Reply #12 on: Oct 23, 2019, 03:05:37 PM »
Never mind,  that famous "someone" who keeps accosting Brian will be at it again tomorrow - probably back to pensions  8)

GrannyMac

« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2019, 03:47:52 PM »
Never mind,  that famous "someone" who keeps accosting Brian will be at it again tomorrow - probably back to pensions  8)

A very safe bet Alex!

R. Gervais

biglouis

« Reply #14 on: Oct 25, 2019, 03:59:55 PM »
How do (genuinely) homeless people manage to charge their mobile phones?
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.