Author Topic: Bodies found in container lorry  (Read 10699 times)

Traveller

Re: Bodies found in container lorry
« Reply #15 on: Oct 25, 2019, 01:30:25 PM »
Anyone who wants to come to the UK in it's present state must be desperate.  If they want to arrive in the back of a lorry, they are criminals and I've got no sympathy for them. The ones who arranged to bring them here should be shot.
You'll have had your tea.

zoony

« Reply #16 on: Oct 25, 2019, 01:35:05 PM »
I am unsure what type of vehicle they were found in.

They were in an air-tight, refrigerated container on the back of a tractor unit.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Alex22

« Reply #17 on: Oct 25, 2019, 01:47:32 PM »
I think it was a dreadful way to die, truly awful.  But as I've said before, we should send illegal immigrants back to where they came from - end of.    Would be immigrants to Britain KNOW there's little chance of them being deported, but if we started to send them all back, they just might realise their journey is futile and the deaths would stop. 

Australia did it, now they're a big BIG country with plenty of space for newcomers so I don't really understand why they adopted their policy, but they turned the boats back and eventually it worked.  We need to do the same here.

Diasi

« Reply #18 on: Oct 25, 2019, 02:38:25 PM »
As usual the police are being heavy handed arresting the driver when its not clear he did anything wrong, raiding his home/parents home etc. It looks like all he did was take his trailer to pick up a container.

I completely agree.

The Essex police gave three different versions as to the refrigeration unit's journey but it seems that it  was shipped from Belgium to Purfleet & the Irish driver had driven his tractor unit to collect it.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

biglouis

« Reply #19 on: Oct 25, 2019, 03:37:49 PM »
President XI is posturing that Britain is to blame for not providing "safe and humane" routes for these people. Perhaps instead he should use his resources to root out and punish the smugglers and those who employ their services.

If illegals were treated more harshly then they would not wish to come here.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Diasi

« Reply #21 on: Oct 25, 2019, 04:15:20 PM »

They were in an air-tight, refrigerated container on the back of a tractor unit.

They certainly couldn't have been in it for more than a few hours at the most & I've not seen any mention as to whether or not the refrigeration unit was switched on or if it was then was it set to chill or to freeze.

But like all the other such news in the UK, we're only given half the story.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

sandancer

« Reply #22 on: Oct 25, 2019, 04:22:07 PM »
I think the EU has a lot to answer for with this ridiculous freedom of movement dictum, you have people and vehicles wandering around the continent completely unchecked (as far as I can see)

Ashy

« Reply #23 on: Oct 25, 2019, 09:09:24 PM »
We finish up with a society where respectable people can find themselves homeless while criminals are looked after beyond their wildest dreams. Where political party leaders are harassed and imprisoned for publicising their policies. Where the largest ever public vote is cancelled by less than 400 illuminati.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #24 on: Oct 25, 2019, 10:51:39 PM »
Makes one want to weep
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Devonian

« Reply #25 on: Oct 26, 2019, 02:02:45 PM »
Beats me why there are no webcams inside the containers....

firenze

« Reply #26 on: Oct 26, 2019, 05:11:33 PM »
I've experienced and had a home in countries where desperate people try to find a home.  Sadly it is not always Valhalla for them.  Sorting wheat from chaff results in casualties.   
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

stellamaris

« Reply #27 on: Oct 26, 2019, 05:56:06 PM »
I see the the lorry driver has now been charged with 39 cases of manslaughter and trafficking.  He was arrested under suspicion of murder, so I will be interested to hearing why the charge was downgraded.  I'm too sickened [almost to the point of depression] by the grotesque cruelty that goes in the world to try to attribute blame to any government or country. That blame lies with the people to who do this to their fellows and with those who actively or tacitly encourage it.   I know these victims and families are tempted by their own people at the start of the journey but all the Europeans through the middle and at the end of the journey are just as culpable.  In many ways I have more contempt for the people who are born in the west, live in the west, with all the advantages of being here, who then go on to abuse the privilege.   I agree with Sandancer's post about unchecked freedom of movement.  I wish we could stop all this nonsense about all of us caring about each other as all one big happy EU family.

As a general comment, what is the point of quarrelling about who doesn't emote enough, or who emotes too much.  Each to his own of course, but all a bit irrelevant wouldn't you say?
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

zoony

« Reply #28 on: Oct 26, 2019, 05:57:52 PM »
  It seems that police have formerly charged the driver with 39 counts of manslaughter and conspiracy to traffik people plus some other related charges.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Audrine

« Reply #29 on: Oct 26, 2019, 10:11:05 PM »
You say he as been charged. I wonder if he is the only one  guilty? Surely others were involved? I didn't find much about it in our local news. What a cruel world we live in.  Simply shocking. Those poor innocent people who thought they were going to a better country & life. Audrine