Author Topic: Christmas debt.  (Read 1498 times)

brian54

Christmas debt.
« on: Nov 01, 2019, 02:29:21 PM »
I heard somebody say they will have to take out a loan for Christmas. Surely it will be better to do without.
I pay 0ff my credit cards before interest is due.

Traveller

Re: Christmas debt.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2019, 03:53:00 PM »
Oh Brian, what big ears you have..

All the better to overhear random bits of conversations.
You'll have had your tea.

Ashy

« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2019, 03:57:32 PM »
Huge Grins.

brian54

« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2019, 06:24:45 PM »
If they close  the money lenders people will not get in debt.

GrannyMac

« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2019, 06:25:29 PM »
I heard someone say they couldn't afford Christmas, and might have to borrow money to pay for basic necessities like heating and food.  I suggested that a Credit Union might be able to help, and suggested that she went to the CAB or Age UK to have her finances checked in case she wasn't getting her entitlements.

I didn't gloat that I can afford to pay my credit cards off, even though I do.  Having available cheap credit is easy for people who are financially secure, not so for those who are struggling.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Goingtoseed

« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2019, 06:38:48 PM »
Surely the best way is to budget for Christmas throughout the year?
Say put £100 away each month and by the end of October you will have £1000 for Christmas.
No need for a credit card or loan.
I have just moved that amount into my wife's personal account so that she has the funds to pay for all of the presents.

brian54

« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2019, 06:47:35 PM »
My daughters are saving to hopefully buy my granddaughters a house each so they in effect owe money.
I am helping them with this.

Traveller

« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2019, 07:00:39 PM »
Well, I think this just illustrates what is "wrong" with Christmas.  It has been hijacked by commercial interests preying on people with unrealistic and unnecessary expectations.

We're not religious and I'm not going on about the "real meaning of Christmas", but I'm damned if I'm spending out £1000 in gifts.  We buy gifts for Yuletide, birthdays etc  throughout the year.  Not to budget, but to buy interesting or unique gifts when and where we see them.

GrannyMac

« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2019, 07:22:39 PM »
Surely the best way is to budget for Christmas throughout the year?
Say put £100 away each month and by the end of October you will have £1000 for Christmas.
No need for a credit card or loan.
I have just moved that amount into my wife's personal account so that she has the funds to pay for all of the presents.

Some people don't have £100, or even £10 a month spare.  Minimum wage jobs don't leave much over.  As a councillor, don't you have constituents in the lower income brackets? 

Every year I fill a shoebox.  Sheffield Cathedral has an annual appeal, and its a simple and fairly cheap way of giving a gift to someone who may have little in their lives. The box could be for an older, isolated person for whom Christmas is especially bleak. It might be for a young woman fleeing domestic violence, or a homeless teenager whose parent has moved a new partner in and made the youngster leave home. 

My grandchildren get plenty, spending a few quid elsewhere won't mean we go without good food, drink, games, presents in a warm house.   It reminds the grandchildren too, that not everyone is as fortunate as they are.  The kind of lesson my parents taught me.

R. Gervais

Goingtoseed

« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2019, 07:46:25 PM »
Some people don't have £100, or even £10 a month spare.  Minimum wage jobs don't leave much over.  As a councillor, don't you have constituents in the lower income brackets? 

Every year I fill a shoebox.  Sheffield Cathedral has an annual appeal, and its a simple and fairly cheap way of giving a gift to someone who may have little in their lives. The box could be for an older, isolated person for whom Christmas is especially bleak. It might be for a young woman fleeing domestic violence, or a homeless teenager whose parent has moved a new partner in and made the youngster leave home. 

My grandchildren get plenty, spending a few quid elsewhere won't mean we go without good food, drink, games, presents in a warm house.   It reminds the grandchildren too, that not everyone is as fortunate as they are.  The kind of lesson my parents taught me.

Fortunately no the make up of our town is definitely middle class although we do have one enclave of social housing but that is only a minor number compared to the 12,000 residents in total.
The other info is that over 55% are outright owners over 65 with a further 40% being homeowners with a mortgage/outright owners and under 65. The other 5% represents the social housing and other rented properties.

Our Council Tax precept is one of the highest in the county simply because we spend a lot of money on the environment/open spaces.
We have a 2.3m£ Community Centre as well as numerous play areas, picnic areas two new dog runs, and a small country park.
We have a second to none bus service that not only connects us to the towns but an express service that connects us to the rest of the county.
We have very little industry as the majority of the workers commute out to other parts of the county as well as into London.
All of my children and grandchildren love the town and apart from the odd bits of anti social activity which is stopped as soon as it starts via our two PCSO's.

Scrumpy

« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2019, 08:09:46 PM »
Goingtoseed.. The area you live in sounds just perfect..
 Anyone on benefits living there must feel out of place..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Traveller

« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2019, 08:23:40 PM »
Oh dear, although we're "comfortable", I often get the notion that we're in the bottom tier of village income.  I think there are still two "council houses" in the village, but otherwise virtually everyone owns their own house.

Irrespective of how much you've got, I still think that there is too much pressure to spend (or overspend) at Christmas.

eegrek

« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2019, 08:58:43 PM »
We always just send a little money to everyone Two Daughters each with a partner and four grand children at £50 each that's already £400. This year there is a boy friend and a girl friend so that's now £500 I can only see it getting more expensive as time moves on. and of course there are birthday presents throughout the year. so there's your £1000 per year and what is £50 quid going to buy nowadays?

Traveller

« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2019, 09:42:58 PM »
so there's your £1000 per year and what is £50 quid going to buy nowadays?

Well, that rather proves my point.  We're under pressure to spend or overspend because of expectations.  It matters not a jot what £50 buys.  You cannot measure love in pounds and pence.

GrannyMac

« Reply #14 on: Nov 01, 2019, 11:16:37 PM »
Goingtoseed.. The area you live in sounds just perfect..
 Anyone on benefits living there must feel out of place..

I doubt it Scrumpy.  GTS has told us all he gets all sorts of benefits.  Of course, the majority of claimants don't have trust funds to dip into. 🙄

R. Gervais