Author Topic: Christmas debt.  (Read 1499 times)

Goingtoseed

Re: Christmas debt.
« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2019, 11:19:26 PM »
We always just send a little money to everyone Two Daughters each with a partner and four grand children at £50 each that's already £400. This year there is a boy friend and a girl friend so that's now £500 I can only see it getting more expensive as time moves on. and of course there are birthday presents throughout the year. so there's your £1000 per year and what is £50 quid going to buy nowadays?

Absolutely, with two daughters + one step son and one step daughter, 5 grandchildren and another 6 step grandchildren + 2 great grand step daughters and not forgetting my wife £1000 for Christmas alone does not go very far I can tell you.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #16 on: Nov 01, 2019, 11:23:24 PM »

I doubt it Scrumpy.  GTS has told us all he gets all sorts of benefits.  Of course, the majority of claimants don't have trust funds to dip into. 🙄

A discretionary Trust Fund yes, but by it's very nature I cannot just dip into it. First of all I am barred from having any of that money because it was me that put the money into it in the first place and secondly all three trustees have to agree the amount and when any of the beneficiaries can have anything.

Butterpuff

« Reply #17 on: Nov 02, 2019, 12:36:21 AM »
there are a lot of single parents out there who can't afford to put away £100 a month ,and a lot of married couples too, Christmas has become far too expensive, it must be a nightmare for some parents, lots of people get into debt over Christmas, trying to buy gifts , and it shouldn't be like that, the real meaning of Christmas has been lost

zoony

« Reply #18 on: Nov 02, 2019, 01:09:36 AM »
True 'nuff. If parents have little, it seems that their children don't get the reality of that at all. Is it the kids or the parents at fault? It's the parents. It's the modern version of 'keeping-up-with-the-Jones's. Difference being that nowadays the parents seem to feel as entitled as their kids do!
 People will be as people are and generalisations serve nobody well plus it's probably our fault somehow anyway. Nicer to reflect on than endure..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Diasi

« Reply #19 on: Nov 02, 2019, 06:43:31 AM »
A discretionary Trust Fund yes, but by it's very nature I cannot just dip into it. First of all I am barred from having any of that money because it was me that put the money into it in the first place and secondly all three trustees have to agree the amount and when any of the beneficiaries can have anything.

Lol!!

Of course, legally you may be barred from having any of the money, you just get the trustees to approve  a payment to a third party who then gives it to you.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

GrannyMac

« Reply #20 on: Nov 02, 2019, 06:44:27 AM »
True 'nuff. If parents have little, it seems that their children don't get the reality of that at all. Is it the kids or the parents at fault? It's the parents. It's the modern version of 'keeping-up-with-the-Jones's. Difference being that nowadays the parents seem to feel as entitled as their kids do!
 People will be as people are and generalisations serve nobody well plus it's probably our fault somehow anyway. Nicer to reflect on than endure..

Ain't that the truth!
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #21 on: Nov 02, 2019, 06:46:00 AM »

Who do the Jones's keep up with & are there any poor Jones's?
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Goingtoseed

« Reply #22 on: Nov 02, 2019, 12:55:27 PM »
Lol!!

Of course, legally you may be barred from having any of the money, you just get the trustees to approve  a payment to a third party who then gives it to you.

Now why didn't I think of that?

biglouis

« Reply #23 on: Nov 04, 2019, 12:07:16 AM »
I stopped buying presents back in the 1970s when I went on a very expensive holiday just before Christmas. For years I just bought small token presents for my parents but no one else.
Nowadays I do not buy gifts or send cards. I am not religious.

I have no objection to other people spending money as I do run an online business and they are welcome to buy stuff from me.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

zoony

« Reply #24 on: Nov 04, 2019, 12:16:40 AM »
  You're all heart BL.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

biglouis

« Reply #25 on: Nov 04, 2019, 05:33:31 PM »
I dont see any point in buying people a load of old tatt they dont really want and getting a load of tatt in return. I would rather keep the money for myself and spend it on things I really want or need  - like not having to worry about my winter fuel bill. I am also one less person for my relatives to have to buy for so I am really doing them a favour.

Many of the people I know wish they could cut down what they spend at Christmas but say they dont know how to go about it as they would feel "mean". It does take a certain strength of character but at least I dont have to dread the January credit card bills.

I would suggest beginning by cutting out the cousins aunts uncles and workmates and only buying for ones immediate family. You can make agreements to limit the cost of presents. You can also cut down on cards by only sending them to people who live far away whom you are not going to see, Or sending e-cards.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #26 on: Nov 04, 2019, 06:35:09 PM »
I mostly send E-cards, although I do feel guilty when I see Peter the local postie and think - well, if nothing gets posted, how can he still have a job? He has been a great guy - a tremendous source of local knowledge and on one occasion when I was out shopping and Veronica had a fall, he heard her calling for help, arranged help, etc, saw me on the way back and put my mind at rest after telling me what had happened, Can't easily replace someone like that with some sort of machine - oh, and he gets a bottle of Malt every Christmas as a thank you
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Raven

« Reply #27 on: Nov 04, 2019, 06:50:50 PM »
When I lived in Perth full time my postie Alan was a great help to me, especially after I had a full knee replacement. He would open the back door and leave any mail on the bunker, if I needed anything from the shop over the road he'd pop over for me. Even when there was no mail he came to see I was Ok. When I started living up north for weeks at a time he kept an eye on the house for me. I was sick when he left to move to a Country run with a van, he'd been my postie for around 12 years.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #28 on: Nov 04, 2019, 06:54:36 PM »
Nice to know that Peter isn't the only one
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Scrumpy

« Reply #29 on: Nov 04, 2019, 07:16:48 PM »
I too have a lovely postie.. I saw him as I came out of our local shop and he said ‘I have a package for you Irene.. I need signature’..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.