Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 5095 times)

Ashy

Windows 10
« on: Nov 02, 2019, 04:51:56 PM »
I have Windows 10 on a computer. You can't select or turn off updates in this version. They force them on me. They shut my computer down for three hours yesterday and today they want to restart it umpteen times. I don't like this, it is intrusive and annoying. Anyone know a program that stops it?

Jacqueline

Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2019, 05:11:18 PM »
You have my sympathy.  I had XP for years, no problems, then it became unsupported, so I got updated to Windows 10.  I hate it, I don't understand it, it has bloody annoying things, silly updates, sorry I can't help you but can tell you you are not alone out there in your frustration and annoyance, and they call it progress!!

Butterpuff

« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2019, 05:22:29 PM »
I liked xp too...never had any problems, then as you say , they stopped supporting it , I still used it as long as I could, then changed to w10, I'm getting used to it now ...but I wish I still had xp. I remember one of the big updates for w10, I kept puting it off till it was actually forced on me, but sorry I can't help either

StephenM123

« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2019, 05:37:12 PM »
You have a level of control with W10 Professional but not with Home edition. The updates seem to add two bugs for every one they address. Much like the carp Android software on my phone. W7 was OK but 8 and 10 were backwards steps!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2019, 05:38:34 PM »
Another one not happy
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Ashy

« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2019, 05:46:04 PM »
I had Windows 7 on a computer and it was OK but it started playing up so I changed it to Win 8, so far so good. Win 7 refused to save my profile in the end, I tried everything on the net to cure it. Although Win 10 works its constant gnawing updates (which are probably needed to fix bugs put in by the last update) are such a proctalgic nuisance.

Traveller

« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2019, 05:49:38 PM »
Load Linux. I use Ubuntu 16.04, but 19.04 is available.  It's faster, less cluttered, relatively immune to viruses  and FREE.  You can control updates and you have to permit any software loads.   You can also get most popular software too - FREE.  If you don't want to get rid of Win 10, you can  set up a Dual Boot option.

If you want to develop your own applications, it comes with its own language called Python and an code editor  called Idle (named after Monty python).
You'll have had your tea.

Jacqueline

« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2019, 07:14:42 PM »
Why doesnt somebody make a simple computer for dummys like me.  I only want to search the internet and send/receive emails.  I use Word to write a letter but it's so complicated to find what you want,  if you know where to look it's probably ok but if I don't use it again for a week or two I've forgotten.  I don't want to know technical stuff, please someone make one that's easy.

Alex22

« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2019, 07:19:50 PM »
I'm with Windows 7  -  still  !   I hope I'm not forced to change as I like this system

zoony

« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2019, 07:48:42 PM »
I'm also using W7. Didn't like 10. Trouble is they're withdrawing support for 7 soon though it'll still be usable.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

mick607

« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2019, 09:29:27 PM »
Please tell me what is wrong with Win 10  ?

Raven

« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2019, 09:51:56 PM »
I much preferred the earlier versions as well, too many updates that I can't stop, and they change things all around and I can't find what I need.  :'( 

zoony

« Reply #12 on: Nov 02, 2019, 10:25:07 PM »

It woke me up in the early hours too often.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Coastal

« Reply #13 on: Nov 02, 2019, 11:40:12 PM »

I don't like the forced updates (there is a very effective and free tool called Windows Update Blocker by "Sordum" available to download, and that stops it altogether) if you try stopping it yourself there's an unstoppable program called Update Medic that restarts it, but the WUB stops that as well.
Other things I don't like are, Cortana, MS Edge, and all the other intrusive apps (some of which still run in the background even when stopped) that can't be uninstalled, It's my laptop and I should be the one that decides what apps I want or don't want, without having to go into the registry and risking an error ........ bring back 8.1
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

Butterpuff

« Reply #14 on: Nov 02, 2019, 11:48:03 PM »
Why doesnt somebody make a simple computer for dummys like me.  I only want to search the internet and send/receive emails.  I use Word to write a letter but it's so complicated to find what you want,  if you know where to look it's probably ok but if I don't use it again for a week or two I've forgotten.  I don't want to know technical stuff, please someone make one that's easy.
I second that