Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 5097 times)

Coastal

Re: Windows 10
« Reply #15 on: Nov 03, 2019, 12:03:57 AM »
Me too, a simple operating system wouldn't require the constant updates that Windows 10 does.
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

Michael Rolls

« Reply #16 on: Nov 03, 2019, 05:36:52 AM »
I've been using Windows for over 20 years and I think that I can honestly say that with two exceptions none of the later versions gave me anything that I didn't already have and often confused me by changing the way things work. The two improvement were the ability to cope with long file names - early versions limited you to 8 characters which was a nightmare - back then I was doing consultancy work for several hospitals and trying to come up with meaningful file names with just 8 characters was a nightmare - although even then there was a quickly developed stand alone programme which enabled one to use long names. The other improvement is in Word, early versions of which couldn't cope with big files - I can't remember the level at which it ran out of puff, but it was probably around 100,000 words, perhaps less, whereas now I have a number of documents of over a third of a million words.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #17 on: Nov 03, 2019, 06:12:06 AM »
I've never had any real issues with any version of Windows.

With Windows 10 I delay the major updates for six months by which time any bugs have been fixed.

The only annoying issues I've had were with Linux when many commercial programmes didn't support it so I ditched it.

What it's like now I don't know.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Ashy

« Reply #18 on: Nov 03, 2019, 09:17:55 AM »
Thanks for the Blocker tip, Coastal. I will try it.

xetog

« Reply #19 on: Nov 03, 2019, 09:54:53 AM »
It's quite surprising how many companies are still on old versions of Windows including the company I used to work for and refuse to update .  I have always been happy to use the latest version of Windows software, but W10 is beyond parody as the worst version so far (and that includes Vista).

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Ashy

« Reply #20 on: Nov 03, 2019, 10:02:47 AM »
Windows 10 works the same as Windows 7 for me*, which wasn't so far from XP, but with every update we get more built in use, for example recognition of USB devices and stability.

* If you install Classic Shell that is.

Coastal

« Reply #21 on: Nov 03, 2019, 10:11:26 AM »
The annoying thing is with the likes of Cortana, in some of the versions of Windows 10 it's either not included or you are able to totally disable it, why isn't that option available to all the apps and let the purchaser decide (so much for the customer is always right) Microsoft force it on you, like it or not.
I hate being dictated to by huge companies like Google & Microsoft, and would no more use Cortana than I would Alexa or other similar spying apps.

Traveller

« Reply #22 on: Nov 03, 2019, 10:23:40 AM »
This is one reason to use Linux.  It's Free and open source and does what you tell it.  You have full control over updates.  The versions of Ubuntu are supported for 5 years after release.

Here's a screenshot from my laptop and as you see, it looks superficially like Windows - except that the icons are down one side, or across the bottom.

You'll have had your tea.

Ashy

« Reply #23 on: Nov 03, 2019, 12:32:20 PM »
I got the update blocker to work, as soon as I had installed it the "you need to restart" icon has gone.... happy days!!

mick607

« Reply #24 on: Nov 03, 2019, 02:48:18 PM »
Me too, a simple operating system wouldn't require the constant updates that Windows 10 does.
A simple OS that can be easily hacked. ?
Or even Linux. Free too.

Coastal

« Reply #25 on: Nov 03, 2019, 03:57:54 PM »
A simple OS that can be easily hacked. ?
Or even Linux. Free too.

What I meant was, one that didn't have a load of unwanted apps that also require updates, if it was just a basic stand alone OS so that I can add the apps that I want, it doesn't have to be vulnerable just easier for me to control. 

prestbury

« Reply #26 on: Nov 03, 2019, 10:08:25 PM »
I have found that W10 is a right pain. Been using it since its inception on my laptop but  every update seems to bring issues which I have to solve. Might follow Diasi's move and disable updates for some months until they become stable.

Some issues I have found a work around, one being my trusty bit old HP laser printer which invariable has to have a frig of the software to make it work. It occasionally prints out a single sheet that says 'Unsupported Personality' That must be HP's thoughts on W10  ;D

I also use Office 2007 Pro and some issues of this fail on some W10 updates prompting me to reinstall parts of Office.
I also have a big machine that still runs faultlessly on XP and fast considering its age.

Devonian

« Reply #27 on: Nov 03, 2019, 11:24:46 PM »
I had similar problems with my Lenovo Win 10 laptop slowing down 8 or 9 months ago, so took it my local repair guy who works from home and he installed a similar free update to below and has now been working fine ever since. But I wouldn't do it yourself if you're not an expert....

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Hope this is of some help....

biglouis

« Reply #28 on: Nov 03, 2019, 11:37:21 PM »
I have 2 PC desktops and 2 laptops. One laptop is still chugging along on win 7 and the other came with win 10. Both my PCs are win 7.

Like some of you I was happily working with XP on the desktops because I HATE change with a passion. Eventually I had to upgrade to windows 7 because my nephew built me these two new computers and persuaded me to upgrade. He made windows 7 look no different from XP on the surface and he says he can do the same with windows 10.

I am dreading having to update but I already have 10 on one of my laptops because the machine came with it on. What I normally do is to have the upgrade on a less used machine until I can get to grips with it.

I dont know about the forced updates but I will ask Chris about them. He probably knows how to stop them. He builds and fixes computers for a living.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Traveller

« Reply #29 on: Nov 04, 2019, 07:47:04 AM »
I use 'Classic Shell'. It's a bit of free software that can make your Windows 10 look much 'friendlier' - like having an XP look.  However appearances are only skin deep and it's still the Satanic Win 10 under the surface.
You'll have had your tea.