Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 5099 times)

mick607

Re: Windows 10
« Reply #30 on: Nov 04, 2019, 08:15:09 AM »
I must be the only one who likes Windows 10.
Updates when I want it to & the most stable & secure version yet.

Traveller

« Reply #31 on: Nov 04, 2019, 09:28:31 AM »
You're the only one I've come upon who is prepared to admit to liking it.
You'll have had your tea.

StephenM123

« Reply #32 on: Nov 04, 2019, 09:41:38 AM »
You're the only one I've come upon who is prepared to admit to liking it.

I wonder if they have the Professional rather than Home version. The Home one is far worse!

Coastal

« Reply #33 on: Nov 04, 2019, 09:43:28 AM »

Devil worshiper
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

mick607

« Reply #34 on: Nov 04, 2019, 10:00:00 AM »

I wonder if they have the Professional rather than Home version. The Home one is far worse!
Home version.

klondike

« Reply #35 on: Nov 04, 2019, 11:46:19 AM »
Buy a windows Pro licence on eBay - less than £5 last time I bought one for an ex Linux machine I'd cobbled together and was passing on to a family member who wouldn't have coped with that.

Here's one at £1.58
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windows-10-Pro-Professional-32-64bit-Product-Key-License-Code-UK-INSTANT/113948961994?epid=6031187488

You'll probably need to download the installer from Microsoft and do a fresh install though.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Is it worth the hassle to avoid a few updates you should be installing anyway though?
So long and thanks for all the fish

Alfred

« Reply #36 on: Nov 04, 2019, 02:12:45 PM »
Yes I agree Klondike,

I too always let the up dates down load just in case I end up regretting missing out on some thing or other,  usually the up dates down load when I'm shutting down the computer, so I guess I'm lucky in not having the problems which others seem to have ,.

Ashy

« Reply #37 on: Nov 04, 2019, 04:58:07 PM »
It's no good if you arrive somewhere to give a presentation, take out your laptop, switch it on and it spends hours fluffing about before you are allowed to use your own equipment. Updates are fine but I need to decide when I can tolerate updating.

biglouis

« Reply #38 on: Nov 04, 2019, 05:07:18 PM »
I just spoke to Chris about the updates on windows 10. He says you can schedule them for when you are not using the computer.

I do tend to use mine in the early hours as I sell online to (mostly) Americans but I rarely use it between 3-6 am. As I have two PCs I can schedule the down times for  alternating periods so there will always be one computer I can use.
The reason I had to move up from XP was that Chris built me two new machines and the mother boards would not work with XP - they were expecting win 7 or 10.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Diasi

« Reply #39 on: Nov 04, 2019, 05:23:00 PM »

I've never had any issues with any version of Windows & all my computers dual-boot with Windows 7 Professional & Windows 10 Professional.

I bought one licence key for Windows 7 Professional years ago & the same licence key is running on three different computers.

Because I had Windows 7 Professional, it meant that I upgraded all three computers to Windows 10 Professional for free.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

mick607

« Reply #40 on: Nov 04, 2019, 06:02:14 PM »
Quite perversly my favourite all time Win OS was M.E.I'll await the flak  ! ;D

mick607

« Reply #41 on: Nov 06, 2019, 06:28:45 PM »
For all the Windows 7 fan boys & girls make sure you have the latest Win 7 with all updates installed. This can be downloaded from MS & adtivated with your key.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7

Diasi

« Reply #42 on: Nov 07, 2019, 07:11:53 AM »
For all the Windows 7 fan boys & girls make sure you have the latest Win 7 with all updates installed. This can be downloaded from MS & adtivated with your key.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7

Top Tip: If the licence key isn't accepted at time of installation, use the telephone activation system & it will be accepted.

That's how I got one licence key onto three computers.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

paloma63

« Reply #43 on: Nov 07, 2019, 10:27:40 AM »
so glad you put this on - thought it was only me with this torment. of forever pop ups saying "need more disc space" .. "Windows can't install this & that etcI don't want windows to install anything.. it really spoils things for me... it really is a pest  and you can't seem to override it -- you have to click on what it says otherwise... wouldn't mind but this is a new laptop .. well 18 months old .. I hardly ever use windows only for letters or downloads ... haven't a clue what to do about it ..but you're right it's an absolute pest - if I could get rid of the Windows part altogether I would.

Diasi

« Reply #44 on: Nov 07, 2019, 10:32:20 AM »
so glad you put this on - thought it was only me with this torment. of forever pop ups saying "need more disc space" .. "Windows can't install this & that etcI don't want windows to install anything.. it really spoils things for me... it really is a pest  and you can't seem to override it -- you have to click on what it says otherwise... wouldn't mind but this is a new laptop .. well 18 months old .. I hardly ever use windows only for letters or downloads ... haven't a clue what to do about it ..but you're right it's an absolute pest - if I could get rid of the Windows part altogether I would.

You're using Windows all the time that your laptop is switched on, it's the OS (operating system).