Author Topic: waistcoats  (Read 3686 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: waistcoats
« Reply #15 on: Nov 04, 2019, 06:27:24 PM »
My over-riding memory of my paternal granddad - he ran a pub in a tough area just off the Old Kent Road - we lived there for a short while immediately after WW2  - was his blood curdling threat if we didn't behave 'I'll cut a hole in the back of your neck and the wind will blow your tongue about' We never actually believed him - he was a right old softy - but it was a good idea to seem to take him seriously!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

« Reply #16 on: Nov 04, 2019, 06:36:46 PM »
I only ever wore a waistcoat, or 'vest' as the Yanks would have it, for a few years, a black leather one and that was on stage. It became too hot as I grew stouter. It'd fit me again now!  ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #17 on: Nov 04, 2019, 06:42:37 PM »
Well done!
I have to admit, that, as a natural born slob, I really used to feel the bees' knees, especially as in the summer of 1955 a pal, who was still at school but working in the hols in a nursery, provided me with afresh button hole ever working day
Mike

Raven

« Reply #18 on: Nov 04, 2019, 06:44:19 PM »
I only ever wore a waistcoat, or 'vest' as the Yanks would have it, for a few years, a black leather one and that was on stage. It became too hot as I grew stouter. It'd fit me again now!  ;D

Like that Rossi guy from Status Quo? You never see him without a black leather waistcoat.

zoony

« Reply #19 on: Nov 04, 2019, 07:05:47 PM »
  He's probably got dozens..I had just the one..The little pockets were useful for capos and picks 'n stuff..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Dayjo

« Reply #20 on: Nov 04, 2019, 10:27:15 PM »
I still have the three piece suit, I was married in, 50 years ago.
 Not seen it, for some time. But, it's still at the back of the wardrobe. I think!

I wear a waistcoat, most days. Recently bought two, from Burtons.
David, Christine, + Mia...... NE Derbyshire.

Life happens, when you connect with people.
Not, constantly working to be better, or to have more......

Raven

« Reply #21 on: Nov 04, 2019, 10:29:09 PM »
I think you either love them or loathe them.  8)

eegrek

« Reply #22 on: Nov 06, 2019, 04:36:27 PM »
Oh Yes I loved wearing a waste coat. Nice and tight, Braces underneath and of course a silk Paisly pattern Cravat. I wore the outfit about 20 years ago probably for a bet, and I would wear it again today if ever I had to go out somewhere posh.

little bob

« Reply #23 on: Nov 06, 2019, 08:54:19 PM »
I never wore a waistcoat but what I did wear was a decent collar and tie-I always wore a tie for work -does anyone remember the matching cards same colour as the tie for the top pocket -folk thought it was a hanky.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #24 on: Nov 06, 2019, 09:14:19 PM »
I remember them, but never had one - always used a white hanky. In addirion to the waistcoats and bottonoles I wore a different tie every day - had quite a collection, costing 2/- a time!
Mike

little bob

« Reply #25 on: Nov 06, 2019, 09:39:05 PM »
Mike --I never felt dressed without a tie I still have a few stashed away.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #26 on: Nov 06, 2019, 10:21:25 PM »
Me too,, but now I only wear a black one.
Mike

biglouis

« Reply #27 on: Nov 07, 2019, 10:57:09 PM »
I bought an afghan in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul years ago. Can't recall what became of it. Somewhere it my house I also have a full burka which I got in Afghanistan and several sets of Islamic dress I bought to travel in Iran and Syria. Very handy if you want to hide your identity in a largely Moslem area.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

prestbury

« Reply #28 on: Nov 08, 2019, 12:12:28 AM »
Dawned on me the other day that I haven't seen that sort of waistcoat in the shops in donkeys' years, and although some rather flimsy looking items can be found on E-bay it doesn't seem to be the same.
Do such things still exist? I have no intention of buying one - just being idly curious.
Mike

Most towns will have a small independant gents outfitters that will stock waistcoats, I am luck that my small market town actually has two such outfitters and none of the mainstream types like Burtons.

prestbury

« Reply #29 on: Nov 08, 2019, 12:13:41 AM »
Did you check in the Vintage Section?
I have two waistcoats that I got in the early 70s, both from a trip with a pal down to London, we wanted to get some clothes from the Boutiques in the hot spot of Carnaby Street. I got a leather waistcoat and a fringed black suede one, couldn't choose between them so I got both. They're still hanging in the wardrobe today.
When I first saw the photo I thought it was a frock of the type fashioned in Carnaby Street