Author Topic: waistcoats  (Read 322 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: waistcoats
« Reply #15 on: Nov 04, 2019, 06:27:24 PM »
My over-riding memory of my paternal granddad - he ran a pub in a tough area just off the Old Kent Road - we lived there for a short while immediately after WW2  - was his blood curdling threat if we didn't behave 'I'll cut a hole in the back of your neck and the wind will blow your tongue about' We never actually believed him - he was a right old softy - but it was a good idea to seem to take him seriously!
Mike
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

« Reply #16 on: Nov 04, 2019, 06:36:46 PM »
I only ever wore a waistcoat, or 'vest' as the Yanks would have it, for a few years, a black leather one and that was on stage. It became too hot as I grew stouter. It'd fit me again now!  ;D
" There ain't no Devil, it's jus' God when he's drunk.."

Tom Waites

Michael Rolls

« Reply #17 on: Nov 04, 2019, 06:42:37 PM »
Well done!
I have to admit, that, as a natural born slob, I really used to feel the bees' knees, especially as in the summer of 1955 a pal, who was still at school but working in the hols in a nursery, provided me with afresh button hole ever working day
Mike

Raven

« Reply #18 on: Nov 04, 2019, 06:44:19 PM »
I only ever wore a waistcoat, or 'vest' as the Yanks would have it, for a few years, a black leather one and that was on stage. It became too hot as I grew stouter. It'd fit me again now!  ;D

Like that Rossi guy from Status Quo? You never see him without a black leather waistcoat.

zoony

« Reply #19 on: Nov 04, 2019, 07:05:47 PM »
  He's probably got dozens..I had just the one..The little pockets were useful for capos and picks 'n stuff..
" There ain't no Devil, it's jus' God when he's drunk.."

Tom Waites

Dayjo

« Reply #20 on: Nov 04, 2019, 10:27:15 PM »
I still have the three piece suit, I was married in, 50 years ago.
 Not seen it, for some time. But, it's still at the back of the wardrobe. I think!

I wear a waistcoat, most days. Recently bought two, from Burtons.
David & Christine...... NE Derbyshire.

Life happens, when you connect with people.
Not, constantly working to be better, or to have more......

Raven

« Reply #21 on: Nov 04, 2019, 10:29:09 PM »
I think you either love them or loathe them.  8)

eegrek

« Reply #22 on: Nov 06, 2019, 04:36:27 PM »
Oh Yes I loved wearing a waste coat. Nice and tight, Braces underneath and of course a silk Paisly pattern Cravat. I wore the outfit about 20 years ago probably for a bet, and I would wear it again today if ever I had to go out somewhere posh.

little bob

« Reply #23 on: Nov 06, 2019, 08:54:19 PM »
I never wore a waistcoat but what I did wear was a decent collar and tie-I always wore a tie for work -does anyone remember the matching cards same colour as the tie for the top pocket -folk thought it was a hanky.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #24 on: Nov 06, 2019, 09:14:19 PM »
I remember them, but never had one - always used a white hanky. In addirion to the waistcoats and bottonoles I wore a different tie every day - had quite a collection, costing 2/- a time!
Mike

little bob

« Reply #25 on: Nov 06, 2019, 09:39:05 PM »
Mike --I never felt dressed without a tie I still have a few stashed away.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #26 on: Nov 06, 2019, 10:21:25 PM »
Me too,, but now I only wear a black one.
Mike

biglouis

« Reply #27 on: Nov 07, 2019, 10:57:09 PM »
I bought an afghan in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul years ago. Can't recall what became of it. Somewhere it my house I also have a full burka which I got in Afghanistan and several sets of Islamic dress I bought to travel in Iran and Syria. Very handy if you want to hide your identity in a largely Moslem area.
He who laughs last never got the joke in the first place!

prestbury

« Reply #28 on: Nov 08, 2019, 12:12:28 AM »
Dawned on me the other day that I haven't seen that sort of waistcoat in the shops in donkeys' years, and although some rather flimsy looking items can be found on E-bay it doesn't seem to be the same.
Do such things still exist? I have no intention of buying one - just being idly curious.
Mike

Most towns will have a small independant gents outfitters that will stock waistcoats, I am luck that my small market town actually has two such outfitters and none of the mainstream types like Burtons.

prestbury

« Reply #29 on: Nov 08, 2019, 12:13:41 AM »
Did you check in the Vintage Section?
I have two waistcoats that I got in the early 70s, both from a trip with a pal down to London, we wanted to get some clothes from the Boutiques in the hot spot of Carnaby Street. I got a leather waistcoat and a fringed black suede one, couldn't choose between them so I got both. They're still hanging in the wardrobe today.
When I first saw the photo I thought it was a frock of the type fashioned in Carnaby Street