Author Topic: waistcoats  (Read 3687 times)

Michael Rolls

waistcoats
« on: Nov 04, 2019, 01:51:41 PM »
Back in the 50s and 60s, when office premises tended to be less warm than modern equivalents, a suit was de rigeur and as an impecunious junior clerk, two piece suits were considerably cheaper than three piece - and I upped their comfort factor by having a non-matching waistcoat - in fact I had two, one a deep port colour, the other a sort of dark mustard and felt myself quite the fashion plate (!! ;D ;D ).
Dawned on me the other day that I haven't seen that sort of waistcoat in the shops in donkeys' years, and although some rather flimsy looking items can be found on E-bay it doesn't seem to be the same.
Do such things still exist? I have no intention of buying one - just being idly curious.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Raven

Re: waistcoats
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2019, 03:14:36 PM »
Did you check in the Vintage Section?
I have two waistcoats that I got in the early 70s, both from a trip with a pal down to London, we wanted to get some clothes from the Boutiques in the hot spot of Carnaby Street. I got a leather waistcoat and a fringed black suede one, couldn't choose between them so I got both. They're still hanging in the wardrobe today.

minniemouse

« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2019, 03:15:53 PM »
I went to a Peaky Blinders event a while back and everybody was dressed accordingly. Lots of men wearing waistcoats and my daughter remarked how great the men looked in suits/waistcoats. Some wearing overcoats.  There were stalls there selling them, maybe they'll make a comeback, who knows?
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Raven

« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2019, 03:17:26 PM »
My waistcoats got a new lease of life at the Linedancing.  ;D

Alex22

« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2019, 03:24:04 PM »
You quite often see men in 3 piece suits on TV, I think they look very smart.
 I've got a black suede long waiscoat edged with leather it's quite heavy.  That goes back to the late 60s early 70s I wouldn't part with it.

p.s. I probably would for a good offer ! :)

Raven

« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2019, 03:39:56 PM »
Did you have one of those Afghan Coats? I did I loved it, but it stank to High Heavens when it got wet. I got rid of it eventually as I couldn't stand the smell.  ;D

Alex22

« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2019, 03:42:37 PM »
No I didn't have an Afghan, but I had a fur coat and now I look back, I don't know what possessed me as most of them were imported rabbit fur.

Traveller

« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2019, 03:56:58 PM »
I have two 'Landhaus' waistcoats that I bought in Germany.  I used to wear them when I was working, but only occasionally now I've retired.  I like nice brightly patterned ones.
You'll have had your tea.

Butterpuff

« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2019, 04:25:14 PM »
my husband had two 3 piece suits, I think they looked rather smart and stylish at the time...( 1960's)

Alfred

« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2019, 04:33:37 PM »
when my wife and I married I too had a smart three piece suite made complete with a waistcoat , and I agree they were in style then and did look smart, which I wore when our wedding album with family members then had been  photographed and taken,

seeing any one wearing one today still looks nice, but out of zinc with the torn jeans, and odd jackets  nothing matching at all as if some one had walked out of  a charity shop wearing odds and ends, as anything goes,

Butterpuff

« Reply #10 on: Nov 04, 2019, 04:59:02 PM »
Did you check in the Vintage Section?
I have two waistcoats that I got in the early 70s, both from a trip with a pal down to London, we wanted to get some clothes from the Boutiques in the hot spot of Carnaby Street. I got a leather waistcoat and a fringed black suede one, couldn't choose between them so I got both. They're still hanging in the wardrobe today.
I think your waistcoat is gorgeous Raven...I could see that fashion coming back

Butterpuff

« Reply #11 on: Nov 04, 2019, 05:01:51 PM »
when my wife and I married I too had a smart three piece suite made complete with a waistcoat , and I agree they were in style then and did look smart, which I wore when our wedding album with family members then had been  photographed and taken,

seeing any one wearing one today still looks nice, but out of zinc with the torn jeans, and odd jackets  nothing matching at all as if some one had walked out of  a charity shop wearing odds and ends, as anything goes,
I saw a girl today when I was shopping, her jeans were ripped to bits....that's fashion. maybe I'm just old

Michael Rolls

« Reply #12 on: Nov 04, 2019, 05:16:59 PM »
Raven - that weskit (Pickwick Papers spelling) looks great (although it wouldn't suit me  :'( ). When I became more senior and more (relatively speaking) affluent, I used to have 3 piece suits made to measure rather than frequent the 50/- Tailor (so how come my first suit was £9-19-6?), then, as time moved on and offices were warmer I reverted to two piece (dropped the settee  ;D )
I don't intend to buy one, even if I were to find one - nowadays I only wear a suit to weddings, christenings and funerals (hopefully in that order) where the sort of waistcoat I used to have wouldn't really be appropriate.
Mike

Raven

« Reply #13 on: Nov 04, 2019, 05:57:11 PM »
When I was wee, after we came over from Mull to live with my Grandparents I remember my Gramps always wore a 3 piece suit, he had several. When it was hot the jacket came off, the shirt sleeves were rolled up BUT, that waistcoat stayed in place, complete with his watch on it's chain fixed to it. I don't remember ever seeing him without one, one memory that always makes me smile is seeing him as I described but with the trouser legs rolled up, a knotted hankie on his head, paddling in the Sea munching an ice cream cone.  ;D

Michael Rolls

« Reply #14 on: Nov 04, 2019, 06:20:14 PM »
Lovely memory!
Mike