Author Topic: banking on line,  (Read 2818 times)

Alfred

banking on line,
« on: Nov 04, 2019, 02:58:35 PM »
Not that long ago it was announced in the papers of A.T.M. machines slowly and gradually disappearing off a number of village high streets, .and so what with the added menace of some cash points still being forcefully removed by ram rod  J.C.B Machines,so

Could there be a time  when as mentioned previously on this forum, not that long ago,  of cash gradually being done away with, and replaced  by credit cards, to pay for all our purchases  instead, which is becoming more and more  apparent each day, as more and more shops close,

so in the event that many people are already buying on line, will banking on line gradually replace A.T.M.s instead, even though many are already doing this, and I suppose some time in the future it will become the norm ,

Q; have you any thoughts regarding banking on line, ?

Alex22

Re: banking on line,
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2019, 03:16:40 PM »
It's very useful, but one drawback is I rarely have cash in my bag these days and sometimes I get caught out, like when the Avon lady brings the item you ordered two weeks ago and had forgotten about.. ;D

Hugh

« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2019, 03:27:54 PM »
I bank on line which is quite useful. I check my account every day so I know if any thing should go missing. I use a debit card for most transactions, but I have a small amount of cash in the house to pay the milk man. I never use an ATM machine, for cash I get that by asking for cash back when I go shopping.

sparky

« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2019, 03:51:07 PM »
I have banked on line for yonks, but I am maybe a bit  paranoid about possible  risks, I would never use a smart phone for the purpose, I  have an old desktop PC solely for banking, it has no email access , it has only the bare minimum on it to enable banking, its hard wired to my router, rather than Wifi, I have also never used an ATM. I just go to my bank and get enough cash to last for a few weeks. In addition I have made sure my 1 bank, and 1 credit cards or not contactless.

Butterpuff

« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2019, 04:19:55 PM »
I would never bank online I don't feel easy about doing that, I just get cash back when I do my weekly shopping

Alfred

« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2019, 04:40:02 PM »
I regularly go on line mainly to check my payments and can down load and print off my statement, which is handy if I have a doubt about payments very easy to check, particularly if iv bought on line as well,.

Hugh

« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2019, 04:49:43 PM »
Well Butterpuff online banking just fine and very safe. Checking my bank details every day I know where I stand all the time. Scam are a problem with elderly people, fooled into giving their pin number out. Banks tell you they will never ask for your pin number and you must never give it to any one.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2019, 05:39:40 PM »
It took me a long time to give in and bank on-line, but I have been doing it for several years now and the sheer convenience is great, especially as my 'local' Lloyds branch is 230 miles away and my local TSB only opens on Thursdays! My local Barclays in 15 miles away and I don't even know if MBNA HAVE branches (it's a credit card only).
Imagine having to use a card for everything - newspapers, cash for beggars (don't tell Brian). When my sister Sheila was dying down in south London I had ot use a bus on a couple of occasions - they didn't take cash. Fortunately, I had a contactless card which I used - grudgingly - for the very first time - but until I could check my statement on-line when I got home (500 miles away) I had no idea what those bus fares might have been. Sheila was very thirsty at times and there was a machine dispensing cold drinks - but it needed cash. I wonder how much it would cost the economy to replace every such machine? Etc., etc..
Mike

Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Hugh

« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2019, 05:51:02 PM »
Contactless card although very useful but could be used illegally if lost. £30 limit but how many before the bank froze the card?

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2019, 05:53:29 PM »
Another worrying point
Mike

Jacqueline

« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2019, 01:28:12 AM »
My local bank closed, no banks at all in town, and 30 mile round trip to the bank now, so forced to bank online or use the damned machines in the bank, hardly any staff either.

I draw out my housekeeping in cash every week.  I know what I'm spending can get a bit carried away with a card.  But I need to pay all my bills by direct debit, gone are the days when I could pay my gas bill in the Gas showrooms or Electric bill in the Electric showroom.

I do not want to be cashless, I'm the awkward so and so the more they try to push things the stronger I resist.

zoony

« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2019, 02:21:13 AM »
My local small town centre went from having three busy major banks and a couple of Halifax outlets to none of either in two years. I use my contact debit card more and more but still carry a few quid just in case. Not interested in internet banking as I own no smart phone. I'm happy that I don't have enough money to have to worry about it as much as some do but I'm sure I would if I did.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2019, 06:03:29 AM »
In our local shopping area we still have a Lloyds, Barclays, Yorkshire Bank and Halifax. The most recent closure is the Nat West. I've used online banking for years, checked very regularly.  I don't feel the need to carry much cash but we keep a few quid at home for the window cleaner.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2019, 07:16:09 AM »
In an average month I spend around £2200 - that's everything 'normal' - food, heating, council tax, petrol, la toute ensemble. Somewhere between £200-£300 will be cash, mostly small purchases where using cash rather than a card simplifies keeping track of expenditure rather than have umpteen tiny items to have to check all the time in the bank statements. To be fair, a lot of them could be by card, but I find it more convenient to use cash. What I have just realised it that it used to be quite common to see shops displaying a notice saying 'no card transactions under ' then a limit, usually £5 or £10. Haven't seen such a sign in ages.
Mike

mick607

« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2019, 08:24:23 AM »
I resist online banking. That eventually will cost jobs.
Just the same as supermarket self service checkouts.