Author Topic: banking on line,  (Read 2817 times)

Sheila

Re: banking on line,
« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2019, 08:43:55 AM »
I check our accounts online most days.

I worked for one of the big banks for 19 years.  When I first started it was all about customer service but changed to targets for selling.

I remember I was tasked with teaching the customers how to use the cash machines when they were first installed.  There was some resistance and customers were telling me I was doing myself out of a job.  In the end I was happy to leave and go and work for one of the customers.  The pressure to sell was immoral.  I rarely go into the bank nowadays, usually just when I have bagged up my husband's loose change from his side of the bed.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #16 on: Nov 05, 2019, 09:03:10 AM »
When we moved here, 16 years ago this month, Coupar Angus, 2 miles away and a large village/small town according to how you classify such things, had three banks open Monday-Friday. It now has just one and that is only open on Thursdays. On-line banking has already had a big effect on the sector.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

GrannyMac

« Reply #17 on: Nov 05, 2019, 09:21:42 AM »
I resist online banking. That eventually will cost jobs.
Just the same as supermarket self service checkouts.

It has cost jobs overall, however there are still plenty of vacancies advertised within the banking sector.   As banking has changed, so have the skills needed for supporting and developing the systems. A young person with an aptitude for maths and/or IT could do much worse than an apprenticeship/ traineeship in that field.   
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

mick607

« Reply #18 on: Nov 05, 2019, 09:38:07 AM »

It has cost jobs overall, however there are still plenty of vacancies advertised within the banking sector.   As banking has changed, so have the skills needed for supporting and developing the systems. A young person with an aptitude for maths and/or IT could do much worse than an apprenticeship/ traineeship in that field.
The net result will still be less jobs.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #19 on: Nov 05, 2019, 09:55:53 AM »
The net result will still be less jobs.
You're right - but it is inevitable and has been going on for quite a while. Just as other changing practices reduce jobs. Back in the mid-60s I was in charge of a stores accounts section with 16 clerks working for me. All totally manual - including hand-cranked adding machines. Today all that work could be handled by two or three folk at most. Look how swiping barcodes at checkouts has speeded up shopping. Change is inevitable (other than from a cash machine as somebody says  ;D )
Mike
Mike

GrannyMac

« Reply #20 on: Nov 05, 2019, 11:23:36 AM »
You're right - but it is inevitable and has been going on for quite a while. Just as other changing practices reduce jobs. Back in the mid-60s I was in charge of a stores accounts section with 16 clerks working for me. All totally manual - including hand-cranked adding machines. Today all that work could be handled by two or three folk at most. Look how swiping barcodes at checkouts has speeded up shopping. Change is inevitable (other than from a cash machine as somebody says  ;D )
Mike
Mike

Fewer jobs in some areas of work started with the industrial revolution, with machines being smashed etc.  My first job as a clerk in Dundee Corporation was in the rates department. We  stamped out names and addresses onto small tin plates which were fed into a printing machine, which then produced the rates books for the city. Computer databases superseded those a long time ago.

Mike, I became an accounts and wages clerk, and remember these adding machines!  You've brought back memories of manually inputting bank reconciliations, i'm surprised more of us didn't develop RSI. 😊

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #21 on: Nov 05, 2019, 12:19:02 PM »
It hadn't been invented back then!
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #22 on: Nov 05, 2019, 12:20:44 PM »
My 16 included two typists who spent their entire day typing invoices on Fanfold machines (remember those) - must have been soul destroying
Mike

GrannyMac

« Reply #23 on: Nov 05, 2019, 12:48:05 PM »
It hadn't been invented back then!
Mike

True..😄

R. Gervais

Devonian

Re: banking on line
« Reply #24 on: Nov 05, 2019, 07:55:55 PM »
We used to have 4 rural banks for farmers on Exmoor coming to weekly markets 4 or 5 years ago Nat West, Barclays, Lloyds and HSBC. Now they've all slowly gone with Barclays closing a few months ago leaving luckily for myself just Lloyds, once meaning a round trip of about 30 miles for the nearest HSBC my other bank. Fortunately my village Post Office now handles all my banking transactions also saving me the round trip to HSBC.

Since then every market day 1 of them I think Barclays uses the local community office's Library, whilst more remote areas like Torrington have mobile banks in the main car park once a week.

em

« Reply #25 on: Nov 05, 2019, 08:30:37 PM »
A "bus-bank" comes to my nearest village for an hour once a week.It is very useful for basic transactions.

Butterpuff

« Reply #26 on: Nov 06, 2019, 12:42:34 AM »
our bank closed quite a few years ago but there was one just a couple of miles away, then it closed too ..the reason being there was not enough people using it....every time I visited it was busy    now I have to travel 15 miles each way to use the bank. the bank I used in my own home town had been there for years before I was even born. but as most people use internet banking now...there's no need for banks

zoony

« Reply #27 on: Nov 06, 2019, 12:57:37 AM »
The rise in internet banking, it seems to me, is because banks want to centralize their operations and employ as few people as possible. Which makes perfect sense business-wise. They will sell their valuable town-centre real estate, or at least not have to pay rent and rates as in the past which will swell the coffers nicely..It's win-win for the big money and a big up yours to the customers, once 'valued', who are left disadvantaged by their bonanza. Those who live in places with dodgy or no connections to the internet or don't have/can't use a computer or a smart phone, those who live in villages that now are lucky to still have a pub or a post office let alone shops! There's no reason that big business should care or even pretend to anymore and maybe we're fools for expecting them to or even hoping that they might.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Coastal

« Reply #28 on: Nov 06, 2019, 01:52:48 AM »
Well I'm with Tesco Bank and there are no stores near me that take cheques etc, so I have to freepost them to Edinburgh, fortunately that's rarely a problem these days as most payments or refunds are direct, I use internet banking a lot, most of my bills are standing order or direct debit, the only one that isn't is my monthly ground rent and electric as it varies in total, as soon as I get the bill I go to online banking and set up for the appropriate amount to be automatically be paid the day before rent day, it only takes a few minutes.
I have a few spreadsheets on my laptop that I keep up to date with my online accounts, along with all my other finances.
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

Devonian

« Reply #29 on: Nov 06, 2019, 10:55:46 AM »
I would have thought it would be worth doing some in depth research via the link below might help....
https://www.gocompare.com/money/mobile-branch-banking/