Author Topic: ready prepared frozen meals ,  (Read 1711 times)

Alfred

ready prepared frozen meals ,
« on: Nov 04, 2019, 04:53:31 PM »
For many of us having say a frozen meal whether it be a curry, a dinner , or even a dessert, and the choice is good, and varied,

for single people at work the convenience of having say a micro wave oven most likely is ideal. And for many of us a quick easy meal to save all the preparation and cooking of a meal, cooked in minutes,

although sitting down to a home cooked meal whether it be  a roast or anything else , it does satisfy us , knowing the personal touch of the person who has cooked the meal for us,

how ever with more people living alone at home for some it does away with having to decide what or which meal to make and cook as the choices are very good ,and time spent else where,

of course there is nothing better than home cooking even though convenience foods are taking over and saving mums the chores of preparing a meal,

and these meals bought in many super and hyper markets are growing popular in demand , the choice of home deliveries by independent suppliers is also on the increase, as were getting spoilt for choice,

so with home deliveries growing ever more are ready prepared foods eventually going to make more and more people switch to ready meals

Q; do you have any thoughts on the way ready meals are gradually making life easier  but at a price, and choice,of home cooked food,

Butterpuff

Re: ready prepared frozen meals ,
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2019, 05:13:44 PM »
I wouldn't like to think that ready meals will take the place of home cooked meals,but then who knows. Once in a while is ok if you,ve had a hard day out working , picking children up from school, but thinking back to our mothers and grandmothers, I don't believe there were ready meals then, they cooked from scratch as well as all the housework...no washing machines or fridges ,so their day was busy too with no mod cons

sparky

« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2019, 05:19:23 PM »
I have never had a frozen meal other than one I have frozen  myself, I am far to fussy, having done  work in many kitchens and a few food assembly lines, I am only to aware of the way the hygiene practises are so often flouted. I would be thinking of the sort of people that had been involved, if I ate one.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2019, 05:23:36 PM »
I only cook 'properly' if I invite a neighbour round, or have a family member/s staying other than on the odd occasion, in which it won't be a 'proper' meal, but an omelette or the like. I used to cook for the two if us when Veronica was alive and when the tremors in her hands meant that it wasn't safe for her to try and cook - something which, understandably - really upset her. I actually enjoy cooking, but something 'fancy' for one person is just a bit daft, given my idle outlook on life.
Oh - and every now and then I treat myself to a nice big steak with chips, onions and mushrooms - that does make sense for a 'loner'!

Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2019, 05:24:08 PM »
I have never had a frozen meal other than one I have frozen  myself, I am far to fussy, having done  work in many kitchens and a few food assembly lines, I am only to aware of the way the hygiene practises are so often flouted. I would be thinking of the sort of people that had been involved, if I ate one.
You're no fun! Where's your sense of adventure?
Mike  ;D ;D ;D

Raven

« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2019, 06:10:44 PM »
I use them if I'm down in Perth at my own home, but up here at the farm I use my slow cooker most days. I always make too much.....On purpose, then freeze what's left in single meal size bowls. It's handy for himself when I'm away all he does is take one out of the freezer in the morning and heat it when he wants it in the evening. Always got boil in the bag white rice so he heats that too and it gives him a big healthy meal with nothing added in to it.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2019, 06:18:50 PM »
Sounds good, ma'am
Mike

Bee

« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2019, 06:27:52 PM »
I usually have 2 or 3 frozen ready meals as a standby in the freezer.......the best ones I have bought ( in my opinion) are from Iceland.
The only way is up....

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2019, 06:38:20 PM »
Don't have an Iceland anywhere near, but back in Surbiton days 40+ years ago I would have agreed with you - no basis for comparison now
Mike

Bee

« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2019, 06:46:17 PM »
That's a shame Mike, where I live I can do an on line shop or go on a 20 minute bus ride to the town where Iceland is and depending how much I buy if it is too heavy to carry back home on the bus I can ask for it to be delivered.
The only way is up....

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Nov 04, 2019, 06:52:57 PM »
 must try and track them down again. One of my memories - my first wife and I had three cats. At the time Iceland were selling Chinese rabbit for 2/- a pound and Susan and I went to one of the big freezers to pick some up. We were discussing how much to buy - we didn't have a freezer, only a fridge, when we realised that the young couple next to us were discussinf whether they could afford it for themselves !
Made me feel about six inches tall!
Mike

Raven

« Reply #11 on: Nov 04, 2019, 06:55:29 PM »
Don't have an Iceland anywhere near, but back in Surbiton days 40+ years ago I would have agreed with you - no basis for comparison now
Mike

Mike, Didn't you say you were near Perth? They have an Iceland again now. They moved into the old B&Q place in the wee industrial estate beside Curry's and the like.

Alex22

« Reply #12 on: Nov 04, 2019, 07:00:31 PM »
I usually double up on any meals I cook and stick one in the freezer.. Talking about Iceland, I was in there on Saturday and saw a range of Gino D'Acampo ready meals and they did look nice - from the box that is !  ;D   has anyone tried them  ?

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Nov 04, 2019, 07:07:00 PM »

Mike, Didn't you say you were near Perth? They have an Iceland again now. They moved into the old B&Q place in the wee industrial estate beside Curry's and the like.
Thanks - I'll have a look
Mike

sparky

« Reply #14 on: Nov 04, 2019, 07:20:40 PM »

You're no fun! Where's your sense of adventure

Mike, Spending hours in the toilet as a result of eating a iffy meal that some equally iffy person has had a hand or what else  in, is an adventure I can well do without,