Author Topic: His Dark Materials  (Read 2918 times)

xetog

His Dark Materials
« on: Nov 04, 2019, 07:47:46 PM »
Did anyone watch the first part of the new (expensive)  BBC Series 'His Dark Materials'?  I have never read the books, but I was told that it was not unlike Harry Potter  which, for the most part I enjoyed, but I did not like HDM at all.  It was not the story, although I will admit it's a bit obscure, although I do not see that as an impediment to a new interest in the storyline.  However, I thought the production values poor and acting less than convincing. How they managed to spend £50m on it I don't know.  The technical content (I always watch for that) was a standard we reached 10 years ago and the animation not a patch on Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings or Lion King. The actors sounded like they were acting, unlike the other examples I mentioned where the characters, even the children lived the parts.  In short, I found it entirely manufactured and lacking in belief (I didn't like it.)  I have read various views, mainly complementary and I would like to know if anyone agrees with me?

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

em

Re: His Dark Materials
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2019, 08:01:31 PM »
Sorry,never watch TV.But I am happy for all those people who derive great pleasure from doing so.

Raven

« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2019, 09:40:12 PM »
No not seen it.

zoony

« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2019, 09:58:16 PM »
I tend to download such things and watch as the mood takes but with this I'd also be reminding myself that I'm not the target audience, teenagers and young adults are. Not that that's any excuse for weak writing or poor production values but I find it helps me be patient with things that might otherwise irritate me.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Alex22

« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2019, 10:44:24 PM »
I saw the trailer and didn't fancy it at all, but then I've never watched a Harry Potter film.

Raven

« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2019, 10:48:43 PM »
I enjoyed the Harry Potter Films, but liked the books more as there was so much extra in them. Actually I think I still have them all on MP3 Discs, may have a root around tomorrow and see if I can find them again.

zoony

« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2019, 11:03:25 PM »
  I referred to 'young adult' stuff. It's not a favourite genre but I watch some. I have a problem when, in some perfectly watchable drama I'm suddenly watching men making out with men, or women with women, or women that thought they might be men...It seems like every new series episode now ends with the " If you or anyone you know is affected by these issues contact...." rider.

cowboy wisdom.

biglouis

« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2019, 02:04:04 AM »
Never watched a Harry Potter film. Fantasy is not really my thing. I am a confirmed SiFi fan.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

xetog

« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2019, 12:54:43 PM »
I don't like fantasy books, although a few films are OK.  Books are a superior form of story telling because they let the reader use their imagination. For me a film that relies on special effects has to be careful to maintain the illusion between technology, writers and actors.  Some pull it off like Harry Potter, but some like the C.S.Lewis series fail because one element (like in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe) is clearly not up to snuff, in this case the animation.

Technology moves fast and some of the films I refer to are now getting long in the tooth.  All the more reason a modern BBC production should be beyond reproach, it is not.  To be completely believable all the elements have to be right, for me, none of them were.

Whilst I am on about entertainment another programme where your opinions are of interest to me is World on Fire.  Another BBC leftist propaganda film and totally false The standout performances that made it for me were Sean Bean and Leslie Mandeville.  For an actor whose main talent was his beefy looks and screen presence seemed to only weapon in his armoury, I think his performance as an ageing, shellshocked WW1 veteran turned conscientious objector is perfect.  Leslie Mandeville is underrated, but superb in the part of a Nazi sympathiser turning patriot.  the rest of the cast is pretty good too were it not saturated with gay men and over represented black faces and I wonder how many Indian majors there were in the British army let alone in the rarefied world of intelligence?  Too many errors, too much propaganda, but saved by the actors.

Mike.X

Alex22

« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2019, 03:01:16 PM »
 I'm enjoying World on Fire but I too picked up on the BBC propaganda, particularly the Indian intelligence officer as you pointed out Mike !   The good old Beeb has to have a good share of homosexual characters in all of their dramas, as does Channel 4 and ITV.

xetog

« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2019, 03:15:58 PM »
Quite so Alex and I do wonder why TV producers seem to think that men chat between urinals, although these did seem to be particularly decorative ones.  I have conversed whilst washing my hands but when standing prefer to keep my mind on the job!

Mike.X

Alex22

« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2019, 03:17:21 PM »
"when standing prefer to keep my mind on the job!"
Very necessary I would imagine   ;D

zoony

« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2019, 04:23:41 PM »
  I'm afraid they have to follow 'diversity guidelines' these days if they want to get programmes broadcast.

cowboy wisdom.

xetog

« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2019, 04:34:19 PM »
Unfortunately young audiences tend to think it's true.

Mike.X

Scrumpy

« Reply #14 on: Nov 06, 2019, 08:57:14 AM »

I started watching His Dark Materials and couldn't stay with it .. The words were not clear and the plot flew over my head..  None of the actors had the charisma to keep me interested...
I like fantasy but I am not a Harry Potter watcher.. Game of Thrones is my favourite.

I am watching  World on Fire and I am enjoying it..  I don't study films to see what mistakes there are..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.