Author Topic: His Dark Materials  (Read 2920 times)

Bee

Re: His Dark Materials
« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2019, 10:45:48 AM »

I started watching His Dark Materials and couldn't stay with it .. The words were not clear and the plot flew over my head..  None of the actors had the charisma to keep me interested...
I like fantasy but I am not a Harry Potter watcher.. Game of Thrones is my favourite.

I am watching  World on Fire and I am enjoying it..  I don't study films to see what mistakes there are..

I am also enjoying World on Fire and I don't study films either to find mistakes in them.
The only way is up....

xetog

« Reply #16 on: Nov 06, 2019, 10:58:49 AM »
I don't particularly look for mistakes but when great glaring ones come up, often for seemingly PC purposes I do jump to criticism. World on Fire falls into that category.  I can forgive the odd 'plane or car, or even location from being of the wrong vintage, the correct types and models often not being available or the director simply being ignorant on the subject, but when the mistakes are clearly engineered to fog up the truth I cannot go along with it.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

sandancer

« Reply #17 on: Nov 06, 2019, 07:35:21 PM »
One strange scene in World on Fire was two Polish guys wandering through a forest stumbled upon a company of British tommies, I have never heard of the British even setting foot in poland

zoony

« Reply #18 on: Nov 07, 2019, 01:13:56 AM »

I started watching His Dark Materials and couldn't stay with it .. The words were not clear and the plot flew over my head..  None of the actors had the charisma to keep me interested...
I like fantasy but I am not a Harry Potter watcher.. Game of Thrones is my favourite.

I am watching  World on Fire and I am enjoying it..  I don't study films to see what mistakes there are..

Due to this thread I started watching HDMs but I watched an Alan Yentob interview with Philip Pullman ( BBC2) about his writings, first. That gave me the insight that was a bit necessary in understanding HDMs and where it was coming from. Knowing that, I enjoyed the piece very much. A bit clunky on the CGI front but otherwise, as I said, enjoyable.. I'm sure much of the target audience (pre-teens and young adults) have read one or more of the trilogy of books that it's based on. Unlike us.?
  Scrumpy, I agree about the lack of charisma among the lead actors.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

xetog

« Reply #19 on: Nov 07, 2019, 08:58:18 AM »
These days 'clunky' CGI has no excuse, especially when a good chunk of the £50m probably went on it.

Mike.X

biglouis

« Reply #20 on: Nov 07, 2019, 10:51:51 PM »
Being something of an expert on costume I often notice mistakes in period films. If does make me laugh as quite often the stylists have come to one of my online shops for some of the props. Downton Abbey was an exception as the costumes were usually correct.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

prestbury

« Reply #21 on: Nov 08, 2019, 12:19:22 AM »
Never watched a Harry Potter film. Fantasy is not really my thing. I am a confirmed SiFi fan.
I'm sure you meant to put a smiley after that comment, the irony  ;D

zoony

« Reply #22 on: Nov 08, 2019, 12:40:21 AM »
Oh dear, you've done it now.. ;D   There's a yawning gulf between Sci-Fi and Fantasy that The Enterprise would have difficulty traversing..Though I can see it from your point of view. I tend to enjoy anything that I find good to read/watch at the time I'm reading/watching it. Genre notwithstanding.

cowboy wisdom.

Alex22

« Reply #23 on: Nov 08, 2019, 04:53:00 AM »
Checking for mistakes is the job of the continuity department I imagine, but sometimes they miss one  ;D

xetog

« Reply #24 on: Nov 08, 2019, 09:10:24 AM »
Zoony is right that there is a vast difference between genuine scifi and fantasy.  Of course scifi is fantasy because its a myth that someone creates but proper scifi has the 'what if' element which is not necessary in fantasy. Unfortunately the boundaries are being blurred from both sides.  Most scifi published these days seems to be more fantasy than anything else so I don't bother.  Another problem is that as we learn more about thy universe, some older scifi looses its realism.  I don't in general read fantasy, Lord of the Rings being an exception, but I will watch films just to see how technically convincing they can be. Real, new,  'could happen,' scifi is a rarity these days so I have stopped looking.

Mike.X

Michael Rolls

« Reply #25 on: Nov 08, 2019, 10:56:10 AM »
Zoony
How would you see the works of Asimov and Clarke? I used to read everything they wrote but probably over 40 years ago somehow just lost interest.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

« Reply #26 on: Nov 08, 2019, 01:04:47 PM »
Me too but as you say, a long time ago. Everything of Asimov's starting with I Robot. As has been said, the lines blur with authors like Robert Heinlein, for example.

cowboy wisdom.

xetog

« Reply #27 on: Nov 08, 2019, 01:13:36 PM »
I too think Asimov is the top Scifi writer ever.  There were other good writers (I never could get on with Arthur C Clarke), but Asimov, for me will forever be the pinnacle of Scifi writers.

Mike.X

zoony

« Reply #28 on: Nov 08, 2019, 03:17:09 PM »
Having already complained about the sheer number of homosexual characters being levered into tv shows and films, I noticed a statistic, put out by LGBTQ organisation GLAAD, that such characters now make up 10.2% of all prime-time series regulars. 'S funny, seems like more.. ???

cowboy wisdom.

biglouis

« Reply #29 on: Nov 09, 2019, 12:21:45 AM »
What makes me hoot with mirth are the numbers of black actors which appear in classic Jane Austen/Dickens type serials. Yes of course there were black, Chinese etc people in the UK at that time but they would have been seen as something of a curiosity. Its doubtful if they would have been accepted in to what passed as "polite" society at that time except as someone's servant carrying their belongings.
The last series of Poldark has a black woman in it as the wife of an Englishman. At every turn she was stared at and sometimes insulted in public places. That would probably have been nearer the mark in those days.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.