Author Topic: butler sinks  (Read 232 times)

sparky

butler sinks
« on: Nov 05, 2019, 03:47:06 PM »
When watching programmes like escape to the country, they often remark about the lovely butler sink, why, I would not give one house room , with their dirt traps between sink and drainer, for me an easy to clean smooth stainless steel etc sink  beat  them hands down .

Traveller

Re: butler sinks
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2019, 04:30:23 PM »
I think that participants on "escape to the country" are sold on the dream, but not the reality. The ones who want to keep livestock really need to think hard about it.
I agree that I wouldn't want a butler sink in the kitchen, but they're fine in a utility room.  Good for washing veges straight from the garden, Welly boots etc..
You'll have had your tea.

Butterpuff

« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2019, 06:14:32 PM »
I recall that these butler sinks were in most kitchens back in the 50's and they , through time got chipped with heavy pots and pans, nothing you could do to fix the chips so they must have been harbouring germs...I wouldn't have one either

Raven

« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2019, 07:04:57 PM »
We have one in the utility room and I hate it.  >:(

minniemouse

« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2019, 07:09:31 PM »
They're usually too low as well.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Raven

« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2019, 07:16:42 PM »
I have to stand on tip toe to get the plug out lol. Would fall in if I'm not careful.

GrannyMac

« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2019, 10:06:21 AM »
Both my kids have butler sinks. Daughters is in the utility, but her kitchen sink although stainless, is set in to the island like a butler sink.  There are double butler sinks in son's kitchen, its an old farm house, and seems appropriate.  I like their depth and size for washing really large items that don't fit in the dishwasher.

I've found no problems in keeping them clean. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2019, 12:25:51 PM »
We had one in a house in which we lived briefly in about 1942. Never understood why it was so low - not that I was interested at the time, being only about 7 years old, but it must have been backbreaking for mum who was quite tall for  a 40s woman - 5' 7"
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!