Author Topic: Broadband Costs  (Read 3156 times)

Raven

Re: Broadband Costs
« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2019, 09:10:17 AM »

We are £17 a month from Three, we both have our mobile phones with Three so get a fiver discount. Don't need a phone socket, just plug the modem in and away you go. You can also take it away with you. Say you rent a holiday cottage for a couple of weeks with no WiFi, just unplug and pack it, then plug it in at the other end. I have the desk computer hard wired into it as the computer is quite old and doesn't have WiFi on it but it's easy enough to disconnect.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/E5573bs-322_4G_Mobile_Wi-Fi?memory=0&colour=White

Yellowbird

« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2019, 10:12:24 AM »
They have just put fibre in our village, a nightmare with the paths dug up everywhere,which I hope will be worth it, if they ever arrive to get it going. Anyone experienced it if so, roughly what is the cost and is it worth it. I am with Sky at the moment, when we get fibre not sure wether its worth changing to another supplier price wise
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly

Diasi

« Reply #17 on: Nov 07, 2019, 10:38:35 AM »
They have just put fibre in our village, a nightmare with the paths dug up everywhere,which I hope will be worth it, if they ever arrive to get it going. Anyone experienced it if so, roughly what is the cost and is it worth it. I am with Sky at the moment, when we get fibre not sure wether its worth changing to another supplier price wise

Who's installed fibre in your area, Openreach or Virgin?
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

xetog

« Reply #18 on: Nov 07, 2019, 11:26:50 AM »
I have heard a lot of people knocking TalkTalk but I have been with them for yonks, ever since they were just talk in fact :-).  I have had very few problems over the years, the only real difficulty is their Indian call centres because I can't understand the accents.  I have Faster fibre broadband, anytime phone calls (inc mobiles) and You View.  The cost is currently £32.00 per month and actual speed at my laptop is around 30mbs.  They promise not to put up your broadband charge during your contract. I have always found them willing to negotiate when prices go up and in fact now pay 50p per month less that I did 2 years ago.  I have had an offer to fix my fee at £38 for the next 18 months but I expect to get that down to the same as I pay at present when my contract comes up.  We expect to move soon and will see what it is like moving our broadband account.  These days with modern TV's we really don't need a You View box as we can stream most of what we want and I would prefer to use Voip for voice calls, but my wife has vetoed that.  My contract finishes in March, so I will see what is available.
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Sheila

« Reply #19 on: Nov 07, 2019, 11:33:10 AM »
You mention call centres xetog.  I called Plusnet a while ago and a friendly northern sounding young man was very helpful.
I also had to phone First Direct once and a lovely helpful northern lady sorted out the problem.
I enjoy going on holiday to India but really can't cope with their call centres.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #20 on: Nov 07, 2019, 11:40:35 AM »
Xetog
For the ignorant such as myself, what is Voip?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

xetog

« Reply #21 on: Nov 07, 2019, 12:15:06 PM »
Voice Over Internet Protocol (Skype is an example).

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

klondike

« Reply #22 on: Nov 07, 2019, 02:43:32 PM »
I was with Plusnet for some years but swapped to TalkTalk at the end of the last contract six months or so ago as they were not interested in negotiating against the deal I had found only offering to match it and ignoring the £85 cashback entirely.

I spotted a TalkTalk offer to boost the fibre from 40/10 to 80/20 (on which I know my line can deliver over 70Mbps). Well the upgrade process upgraded the price and started a fresh 18month contract which wasn't mentioned but didn't result in the 40/10 speed cap being lifted.  Getting that fixed involved hours on the phone to various overseas agents and two engineer visits although before the second one arrived I had got it fixed via the TalkTalk forum. Should I have any problems in future I'll try the forum before taking to the phone again being passed from one clueless support person to the next, cut off, treated like an idiot, and not getting the problem fixed.

When it works it is fine but any problem is likely to result in elevated blood pressure because their support is useless.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #23 on: Nov 07, 2019, 02:55:07 PM »
Voice Over Internet Protocol (Skype is an example).

Mike.X
Thanks
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

JCBDriver

« Reply #24 on: Nov 07, 2019, 04:51:17 PM »
xetog, I am with TalkTalk, currently paying fixed £30 for phone and broadband.
Getting speeds of 38Mbps without much fluctuation which is more than enough for us.
I took advantage of a deal while they were trying to recover from the last big data breach.
I did it with a bit trepidation given their previous record but so far so good and no need to contact any support services.
They have never been highly rated on Trustpilot but the price is good for the speed I get in my location. 

mick607

« Reply #25 on: Nov 07, 2019, 05:54:12 PM »
We are £17 a month from Three, we both have our mobile phones with Three so get a fiver discount. Don't need a phone socket, just plug the modem in and away you go. You can also take it away with you. Say you rent a holiday cottage for a couple of weeks with no WiFi, just unplug and pack it, then plug it in at the other end. I have the desk computer hard wired into it as the computer is quite old and doesn't have WiFi on it but it's easy enough to disconnect.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/E5573bs-322_4G_Mobile_Wi-Fi?memory=0&colour=White
What speeds do you get Raven ?

Yellowbird

« Reply #26 on: Nov 07, 2019, 07:39:10 PM »
Diasi I think its only BT openreach that supply the fibre cables. Suppliers use their cables but I think its only BT openreach that supply the cables. May be wrong?
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly

Goingtoseed

« Reply #27 on: Nov 07, 2019, 07:55:43 PM »
Are you paying £168 a month for phone and TV then GTS  ?  or hopefully I've read that wrong.  ???

Correct! £87 for Sky TV and £78 for broadband and line from BT.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #28 on: Nov 07, 2019, 07:59:30 PM »
BT, Anytime calls, TV. Standard Broadband, sport , 2 mobiles, around  £52 a month, plus landline.
BT Anytime, Fibre Broadband, no sport, 1571, and no mobiles.

If you want to include mobiles then that is another £26 a month for the basic level

All, Sky, BT and 2x mobiles (EE) are out of contract. The mobiles ran out 4 years ago.

eegrek

« Reply #29 on: Nov 07, 2019, 08:04:55 PM »
So on average of 9 people the cost of broadband is £41. I  amazed at the range from £17 to £78 per month. I wonder if some of us are paying more than necessary to get higher speeds where in fact a normal average speed of about 25mbs per second is quite adequate for normal domestic use.
BT Guarantee me at least 17 but I normally get 25 which I find is adequate for the number of devices I have and still ok if my wife is watching Netflix while I am on say Utube on our televisions, and I then a have a computer running on Linux and perhaps updating itself which now only takes about 2 minutes instead of 20 minutes. I forgot to mention that we only make about 2 phone calls per week as it is more convenient for the family to call us, knowing we are nearly always in.