Author Topic: Broadband Costs  (Read 3155 times)

Raven

Re: Broadband Costs
« Reply #30 on: Nov 07, 2019, 08:17:55 PM »
What speeds do you get Raven ?

I have no idea how to measure the speed but it's a lot faster than I had with BT. It's not like normal broadband as it works on 4G. 

zoony

« Reply #31 on: Nov 07, 2019, 08:21:29 PM »
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Cassandra

« Reply #32 on: Nov 07, 2019, 08:41:06 PM »
We are £17 a month from Three, we both have our mobile phones with Three so get a fiver discount. Don't need a phone socket, just plug the modem in and away you go. You can also take it away with you. Say you rent a holiday cottage for a couple of weeks with no WiFi, just unplug and pack it, then plug it in at the other end. I have the desk computer hard wired into it as the computer is quite old and doesn't have WiFi on it but it's easy enough to disconnect.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/E5573bs-322_4G_Mobile_Wi-Fi?memory=0&colour=White

What an excellent idea and thank you very much for the link. I pay £37.00 from Talktalk which includes a call package I hardly use these days. I only have a desktop and a Sky connection for catch up TV, which I rarely use, as Sky connects via their dish anyway. I have just got a Smartphone, because I was told about 'Whats App' which saves me £100's a year on overseas calls. That said the wretched thing makes my brain hurt. Next doors grandchild (aged 12) however got it all working for me in 5 mins flat thank god! However apart from the one 'App' above, I leave it alone and retain my Doro 'thicko mobile' phone for outside!. I see '3's offer is on unlimited data too, currently at £22,00 a month with a 24 month contract. I had a Hauwie mobile router when I first moved here until Talk Talk could manage to hook me up etc. That was  four years back, 3G and was really rather good I remember. In fact the TalkTalk 'brick' number replacement that eventually pitched up to this day remains perched, hidden from view on the Library steps and is quite inferior in comparison.

Also how intelligent that the only price increase yearly is linked to RPI as well.

Of course that could soon mean paying double if the Corbynisters win the election!

My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Diasi

« Reply #33 on: Nov 08, 2019, 07:32:21 AM »
What an excellent idea and thank you very much for the link. I pay £37.00 from Talktalk which includes a call package I hardly use these days. I only have a desktop and a Sky connection for catch up TV, which I rarely use, as Sky connects via their dish anyway. I have just got a Smartphone, because I was told about 'Whats App' which saves me £100's a year on overseas calls. That said the wretched thing makes my brain hurt. Next doors grandchild (aged 12) however got it all working for me in 5 mins flat thank god! However apart from the one 'App' above, I leave it alone and retain my Doro 'thicko mobile' phone for outside!. I see '3's offer is on unlimited data too, currently at £22,00 a month with a 24 month contract. I had a Hauwie mobile router when I first moved here until Talk Talk could manage to hook me up etc. That was  four years back, 3G and was really rather good I remember. In fact the TalkTalk 'brick' number replacement that eventually pitched up to this day remains perched, hidden from view on the Library steps and is quite inferior in comparison.

Also how intelligent that the only price increase yearly is linked to RPI as well.

Of course that could soon mean paying double if the Corbynisters win the election!

I've checked the Three Mobile traffic management policy & there are no speed reductions with their unlimited price plan so if you get a good signal it looks to be a good deal.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #34 on: Nov 08, 2019, 11:16:39 AM »
I use BT for landline and BB, averaging about £56 a month. Download speed today is 13 mps - about the norm, and upload only 1.3 - never understood why the two are so different, but then there isn't much I do understand in this field.
My mobile is with 3 - no complaints, but then I scarcely use it for phone calls, and not much for texts - prefer, when possible, to use the Ipad

Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #35 on: Nov 08, 2019, 12:01:51 PM »
I use BT for landline and BB, averaging about £56 a month. Download speed today is 13 mps - about the norm, and upload only 1.3 - never understood why the two are so different, but then there isn't much I do understand in this field.
My mobile is with 3 - no complaints, but then I scarcely use it for phone calls, and not much for texts - prefer, when possible, to use the Ipad

Mike

It's because BB is asymmetrical & the structured capacity for downloading is much higher than the structured capacity for uploading.

Think of it as a road (download) with a cycle lane (upload).

Our download speed averages around 50 Mbps & upload speed around 12 Mbps.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Cassandra

« Reply #36 on: Nov 08, 2019, 12:49:49 PM »
I've checked the Three Mobile traffic management policy & there are no speed reductions with their unlimited price plan so if you get a good signal it looks to be a good deal.

All that glisters etc ... my actual speeds are 39mbps up and 9.03 down with Talktalk. '4g' only admit 'Very Good Service' in this area, but as I only browse and send about 3 emails a week it might be enough? Sky are one of the fastest and I used to be with them, but changed as they prevented the use then (10 years ago +) of a pre dial service who did cheap calls to the middle east etc. With retirement that need has now gone. However SKY are particularly wilful in adding the odd £1.50 on here and there. Like, it seems all these utilities, you only find out the real speed performance after you unpack the router, connect to the inernet and then apply a 'real-time' speed test, by which time although not legally bound there's a hill of grief and caveats waiting withdrawl?
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...