Author Topic: Terry Thomas, Jeeves etc. characters....  (Read 1121 times)

Devonian

Terry Thomas, Jeeves etc. characters....
« on: Nov 07, 2019, 12:20:08 PM »
During these dreadful political days I keep hearing TT saying "En absolute shar what", or Jeeves "Can't make the blighters out" and so on. All great prewar stuff the RAF during the war was full of chaps with handelbar moustaches then Jimmy Edwards "Whacko !", Margaret Rutherford with chins wobbling and loads more.... ;D
Anyone got any more favourites ? Two of mine were PC 49 Jack Warner "Evening all" and Alastair Sim (loved him !)....

I keep trying to remember the name of the late 40's/50s actor who played a headmaster with glasses and a mortar board also a wacky scientist role ?

Raven

Re: Terry Thomas, Jeeves etc. characters....
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2019, 12:35:02 PM »
Was that not Jimmy Edwards?

I loved crime programmes when I was growing up as I do now and adored the Sherlock Homes films with Basil Rathbone playing him. I also loved a kids programme that would cause ructions nowadays as it was so un PC. That was Billy Bunter of Greyfriars School, he used to make me howl with laughter. My gran used to try and put me off watching it but I was too hooked.

zoony

« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2019, 12:43:13 PM »
During these dreadful political days I keep hearing TT saying "En absolute shar what", or Jeeves "Can't make the blighters out" and so on. All great prewar stuff the RAF during the war was full of chaps with handelbar moustaches then Jimmy Edwards "Whacko !", Margaret Rutherford with chins wobbling and loads more.... ;D
Anyone got any more favourites ? Two of mine were PC 49 Jack Warner "Evening all" and Alastair Sim (loved him !)....

I keep trying to remember the name of the late 40's/50s actor who played a headmaster with glasses and a mortar board also a wacky scientist role ?

Are you thinking of Will Hay?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Devonian

« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2019, 12:53:56 PM »
Yes Will Hay thanks ! He had me in stitches.... ;D ;D

Devonian

« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2019, 01:02:09 PM »
My first TV memory Alexander Palace with the radio waves spreading out from the top of the mast and Annette Mills with Muffin the Mule.... ;D

https://www.muffinthemule.co/

Raven

« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2019, 01:26:53 PM »
My first TV memory Alexander Palace with the radio waves spreading out from the top of the mast and Annette Mills with Muffin the Mule.... ;D

https://www.muffinthemule.co/

We have a member on here called Muffin, with the mule as her avatar.....When she looks in but it's not a lot at the moment. ;D

Devonian

« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2019, 01:57:25 PM »
 ;D ....

Diasi

« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2019, 02:23:55 PM »

Are you thinking of Will Hay?

Yes, although Jimmy Edwards did play a schoolmaster in Whacko, the character that Devonian describes was Will Hay.

This is how he'd have dealt with Brexit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94X3P2XmREc
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Raven

« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2019, 03:00:26 PM »
I don't remember him at all. But love his way of dealing with Brexit. ;D

Devonian

« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2019, 03:43:01 PM »
Haven't seen that one before great.... ;D

Jacqueline

« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2019, 06:43:34 PM »
Just perfect, should show that one to Nigel, Brexit Party could do it through the EU anthum.

Cassandra

« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2019, 08:05:15 PM »
Yes, although Jimmy Edwards did play a schoolmaster in Whacko, the character that Devonian describes was Will Hay.

This is how he'd have dealt with Brexit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94X3P2XmREc

Will Hays schoolmaster role (to which your picture relates Diasi I believe) was in the 1941 production
'The Ghost of St Michaels'.

It was on 'Talking Pictures' a few months back and very funny it was too for nearly 80 years ago! A fantastic cast, including a young Charles Hawtrey!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033661/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_6
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Alex22

« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2019, 08:12:54 PM »
I remembering watching Z Cars and as Devonian mentioned Dixon of Dock Green.     The old Ford Anglia panda cars too - remember those ? 

Diasi

« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2019, 09:12:50 PM »
Will Hays schoolmaster role (to which your picture relates Diasi I believe) was in the 1941 production
'The Ghost of St Michaels'.

It was on 'Talking Pictures' a few months back and very funny it was too for nearly 80 years ago! A fantastic cast, including a young Charles Hawtrey!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033661/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_6

I thought it was a clip from the 1942 film 'The Goose Steps Out' where he ends up teaching in a Hitler youth camp.

These old films would have been timeless comedies if it wasn't for the pervasive creep of political correctness.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

zoony

« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2019, 09:46:43 PM »
I think they're priceless social documents which reflect, for good or ill, the prevailing attitudes of their time.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.