Author Topic: What's the next "emergency"?  (Read 382 times)

Traveller

What's the next "emergency"?
« on: Nov 08, 2019, 09:51:30 AM »
I get the impression that hardly a day goes by when we aren't  given something to worry about.
Going back, there was WW1 followed by a flu epidemic.  Then there was the depression and hunger marches and WW2.   After the real war there was the 'Cold war' and the threat of extermination, but we got through that (only just) and had to think of more things to worry about.

We have recessions, depressions,  energy crisis, Obesity and Diabetes "epidemics" - neither of which are epidemics, and of course Global warming and declaring a  "Climate emergency".

Do we actually need something to worry about all the time? Are we never just happy that things occasionally go OK?

Well, I'm declaring a Walnut oil crisis.  Looked everywhere for it without success.  And please don't suggest Waitrose as the nearest one is 175 miles away.
You'll have had your tea.

GrannyMac

Re: What's the next "emergency"?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2019, 11:32:39 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50333233

I think this qualified as an emergency for some yesterday! I drove home from a meeting, a ten minute drive took an hour because the main road was flooding.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

em

« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2019, 11:33:06 AM »
Amazon?

Ashy

« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2019, 12:02:29 PM »
I'm still trying to find a shop selling Obesities.

Diasi

« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2019, 12:12:14 PM »

Well, I'm declaring a Walnut oil crisis.  Looked everywhere for it without success.  And please don't suggest Waitrose as the nearest one is 175 miles away.

Apparently walnut oil comes from the Amazon.

https://amzn.to/33ApdXC
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Alex22

« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2019, 02:30:42 PM »
I've got a small bottle of Walnut Oil, it's Sainsbury's own label, have you tried there ?

Traveller

« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2019, 03:03:40 PM »
Thanks Alex. Unfortunately the nearest Sainsbugs is on the outskirts of Aberdeen so I'm not there very often.  There's a Sainsburys Local in the city, but it's very small.  I'm surprised that M&S doesn't stock it.
You'll have had your tea.

Ashy

« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2019, 03:17:33 PM »
The number of urban foxes will reach new lows as they are driven out by an influx of polar bears.

biglouis

« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2019, 12:14:16 AM »
We dont have many polar bears here and I continue to feed the urban foxes because I know it annoys my neighbour.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

mick607

« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2019, 11:32:35 AM »
My wife feeds birds, foxes in fact any wild animal. Some people don't like it but life can be tough !

Diasi

« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2019, 03:40:07 PM »
My wife feeds birds, foxes in fact any wild animal. Some people don't like it but life can be tough !

There's nothing wrong with her doing that.

We don't seem to get any wild animals in our garden in this house, except a hedgehog who sometimes just wanders through one corner of it en-route to wherever it's going.

If we did we'd feed them.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

mick607

« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2019, 03:48:58 PM »
Our local council are quick to issue £70 FPN for feeding ducks & pigeons etc.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2019, 07:26:48 PM »

It can be for a fox with the thought of a 12 bore cartridge homing on their bum!

Goingtoseed

« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2019, 07:31:50 PM »
Our local council are quick to issue £70 FPN for feeding ducks & pigeons etc.

Two very good reasons for doing that.
1. you are likely to leave some residue of what you are feeding them with on the ground - classed as fly tipping
2. you are likely to encourage these pests to come back for more thus causing a nuisance to other members of the public.

Ducks can be legally shot and make a cheap meal for two. As for pigeons they too can be legally shot and are best thrown on the rubbish heap and left to disintegrate

Alex22

« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2019, 07:39:31 PM »
It can be for a fox with the thought of a 12 bore cartridge homing on their bum!
If that comment was intended to wind people up, you succeeded
Next !   ::)