Author Topic: a different life then.  (Read 2261 times)

Traveller

Re: a different life then.
« Reply #30 on: Nov 12, 2019, 10:10:06 AM »
I too was forced to go to Sunday school and Bible class and later. church.  I also argued the point with the teachers and eventually my parents stopped making me go.

Ah, the Sunday school outing.  The most memorable one was at a time when steam trains were being replaced by diesels.  My father got word that one of the trains was in trouble and when it rolled into the station, it was surrounded by staff who evacuated the passengers.  The diesel loco sat there slightly smoking until suddenly flames broke out and before long it was engulfed by the fire.  The fire brigade arrived and extinguished it, but for a long while, I didn't like travelling on a diesel train.

And on a different note, we had Camp coffee at home.  I preferred it to tea.
You'll have had your tea.

xetog

« Reply #31 on: Nov 12, 2019, 10:24:42 AM »
I remember Camp coffee in my grandmothers house, although as a child I don't remember drinking it although I would have thought the very word 'camp' would get you ostracised by the thought police these days.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #32 on: Nov 12, 2019, 01:00:25 PM »
I remember Camp coffee in my grandmothers house, although as a child I don't remember drinking it although I would have thought the very word 'camp' would get you ostracised by the thought police these days.

Mike.X
Which just demonstrates how far snowflakes have become. The lunatics are running the asylum
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

biglouis

« Reply #33 on: Nov 12, 2019, 02:13:58 PM »
Yes it was Camp coffee. Of course as a child I was completely unaware of racist connotations and so was my gran. As previously mentioned she spent many years living in India and then later as what were then called the Trucial States but are now the UAE.

I later visited the UAE many times but by then my gran would not have recognised it. It was pretty tribal still when grandpa was based there.

I never asked my gran why she drank it. I imagine it was for preference as she certainly was not poor!

When she died she left her house between her surviving children but the contents were left to me! None of the relatives had any idea what the contents were worth until I organized a house clearance and then there were a few eyebrows raised at the value. That was how I got into selling antiques as opposed to being purely a collector.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

zoony

« Reply #34 on: Nov 12, 2019, 02:50:15 PM »
BL..My dad was born in India and we had Camp coffee around when I was young. I think the Indians preferred it because of the chicory plus it was a damn sight cheaper and less trouble than buying, milling and brewing 'proper' coffee..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.