Author Topic: Postal Vote  (Read 2467 times)

Ashy

Re: Postal Vote
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2019, 12:01:07 PM »
I prefer to go to the village hall and place my vote, I would worry that a postal vote might be tampered with, although must admit I am tempted not to vote this time, it has caused such ill feeling in our family

It's not their business whether you voted or not or for whom. Therefore don't tell them.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #16 on: Nov 15, 2019, 01:47:39 PM »
That's right - it is supposed to be  a secret ballot for that very sort of reason
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Bee

« Reply #17 on: Nov 15, 2019, 03:51:01 PM »
I think postal votes should be done away with, unless you are in the military - which is what it was intended for,  are disabled,  or are 80 +

I am neither disabled or 80+ but if my postal vote was taken away, I would stop voting..........where my house is situated to the polling station, it is a 20-25 minute walk with a long steep hill to walk up on the way back home.......I have no private transport to make it easier and it is an hourly bus service, there are people that live further away from the polling station than myself..........the polling station used to be a 2 minute walk from my house but in their wisdom they moved it.
The only way is up....

Alex22

« Reply #18 on: Nov 15, 2019, 09:33:07 PM »
That would be your choice Bee, but I don't suppose it will ever happen - too many student votes at risk.

zoony

« Reply #19 on: Nov 15, 2019, 09:57:11 PM »

I am neither disabled or 80+ but if my postal vote was taken away, I would stop voting..........where my house is situated to the polling station, it is a 20-25 minute walk with a long steep hill to walk up on the way back home.......I have no private transport to make it easier and it is an hourly bus service, there are people that live further away from the polling station than myself..........the polling station used to be a 2 minute walk from my house but in their wisdom they moved it.

My sympathies Bee. I'm more fortunate in that regard. I just have to walk across the street to the wonderful library we still have. Should they do the same to me I'd be using the postal vote too.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Bee

« Reply #20 on: Nov 15, 2019, 10:13:07 PM »
That would be your choice Bee, but I don't suppose it will ever happen - too many student votes at risk.

Nothing wrong with students voting, they have to be aged 18 to vote and at 18 they are classed as an adult and old enough to vote and old enough to fight for their country so they have every right to vote.
The only way is up....

Bee

« Reply #21 on: Nov 15, 2019, 10:14:47 PM »

My sympathies Bee. I'm more fortunate in that regard. I just have to walk across the street to the wonderful library we still have. Should they do the same to me I'd be using the postal vote too.

Thanks zoony, as I mentioned it was so much easier where the old polling station was and I didn't need a postal vote then.
The only way is up....

Alex22

« Reply #22 on: Nov 15, 2019, 10:31:07 PM »

Nothing wrong with students voting, they have to be aged 18 to vote and at 18 they are classed as an adult and old enough to vote and old enough to fight for their country so they have every right to vote.
Correct but there's everything wrong with them voting in their home town and in their university towns too. 

Bee

« Reply #23 on: Nov 15, 2019, 10:44:50 PM »
Correct but there's everything wrong with them voting in their home town and in their university towns too.

Students are allowed to register in their home towns and their university towns but they can only vote once, they have to choose between their home address or their university address in which to vote otherwise they would be breaking the law.
The only way is up....

Goingtoseed

« Reply #24 on: Nov 15, 2019, 11:24:37 PM »

That reminds me. Being a student should make no difference - they can either vote in the area where they are in uni or at home. Although it is not unheard of in some uni's /colleges for students to vote twice - once where registered at uni and a vote from their home address. Totally illegal but very little can be done about it as there is no national checking system.

In fact if you can find 20 people at different addresses who are willing to put your name on their voting register technically you would get 20 polling cards!!

Even worse you don't even have to have the polling card when you vote or any form of ID - you just tell them your name and address and hey presto you get a voting paper!!

Alfred

« Reply #25 on: Nov 16, 2019, 11:29:39 AM »
do you think, possibly that  of all the illegal immigrants there are in the country that they too will included to vote,  as most likely some of them might be living as many as thirty to a room and at the same address,

klondike

« Reply #26 on: Nov 16, 2019, 11:35:30 AM »
Students are allowed to register in their home towns and their university towns but they can only vote once, they have to choose between their home address or their university address in which to vote otherwise they would be breaking the law.
Indeed. I don't doubt that this is thoroughly checked and the local councils have complete lists of the two locations every student is registered in and diligently cross check with each other to ensure such double voting never occurs.

We can be sure that it is very very rare as I don't recall ever seeing a prosecution reported for double voting.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Alex22

« Reply #27 on: Nov 16, 2019, 06:54:22 PM »
"  Although it is not unheard of in some uni's /colleges for students to vote twice - once where registered at uni and a vote from their home address. Totally illegal but very little can be done about it as there is no national checking system.  "
Correct GTS,  one silly student even boasted about it on Facebook.   The postal voting system is flawed.

Ashy

« Reply #28 on: Nov 16, 2019, 07:26:29 PM »
Students are allowed to vote in two places if the elections are different, for example in two council elections, but not in a general election or a national referendum. That gives rise to the student being registered at two addresses and poll cards being sent out.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #29 on: Nov 16, 2019, 11:33:54 PM »
do you think, possibly that  of all the illegal immigrants there are in the country that they too will included to vote,  as most likely some of them might be living as many as thirty to a room and at the same address,

As you know every year a notice is sent out to every address asking to confirm who lives there. Put 20 or so names on the form and send it back. There is no check whether the form is correct or not - it relies on the honesty of who signs it.