Author Topic: agony aunts,and good advice,?  (Read 346 times)

Alfred

agony aunts,and good advice,?
« on: Nov 14, 2019, 08:34:58 AM »
For some people who on hearing either matrimonial or problems of people separating because of infidelity , there's an agony aunt some where, ready to offer either good or possibly  some puzzling advice on what to do or how to try and solve a problem or dispute,

and then you wonder how these people got into various difficulties in the first place  as most likely because of  not staying loyal to the person they're living  with,

I'm sure when people read some of these problems they must think
why did they  let this get out of hand or control , or is it some people are gullible ,and easily led,

Q; do you hold any views on the information and advice that agony aunts give and does their opinion really count,

Scrumpy

Re: agony aunts,and good advice,?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2019, 10:49:10 AM »

Agony Aunts..!  How can they possibly know what others are experiencing.! It's just a job to them and I bet anyone in the office at the time will answer the queries.

I think I remember someone called Marjorie Proops.. She wore very large glasses..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Alex22

« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2019, 08:52:17 PM »
Dear Deirdre was another one. ;)

zoony

« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2019, 09:56:22 PM »
  Advice columns go back to Daniel Defoe in the early 18thC. Many of the Victorian/Edwardian 'Agony Aunt'-type columns were actually written by men.
 There was a BBC4 doc about it not very long ago..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Diasi

« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2019, 10:03:40 PM »

I think I remember someone called Marjorie Proops.. She wore very large glasses..

I thought she advertised ladies Tena pants until I realised she was called Proops & not Poops.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)