Author Topic: Delivery  (Read 979 times)

xetog

Delivery
« on: Nov 14, 2019, 10:48:04 AM »
I have a lot of printing to do over the next few days so yesterday I took the precaution of ordering a new set of cartridges from Amazon.  We have Prime, so the delivery was for today.  Since we have a busy day I looked at the tracking screen at about 8.30 and saw that my package was not yet out for delivery.  I checked again at 10.30 an was presented with a map on screen that showed my delivery about 2 miles and 2 stops away.  More than that, I noticed the map was being updated in real time, so watched the deliveries progress around the local area until the map showed the delivery van in my road.  I went to the front door and opened it just as the delivery driver reached for the bell.  He was so surprised that he actually continued and rang the bell despite the fact I was standing in front of him!

I know the technology has been in use for some time, but this was the first time I have actually used it to pinpoint the precise time.  Fascinating.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

sparky

Re: Delivery
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2019, 11:08:54 AM »
xetog, Coincidence, I had ordered an optical audio cable from Amazon yesterday, should  have been delivered 13.45-16.45, when tracked it was later updated to 17.15, it was later updated  again to 19.30 and the moving map showed 4 stops, then  one. then  I see our outside  PIR drive light come on and it came though the letter box, absolutely fascinating.,,,,,,,,,,,,,, pity I had ordered the wrong one should have been the mini version optical termination.

Jacqueline

« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2019, 12:54:01 PM »
In one way this is great, in another it's scarey that we could potentially be pinpointed by big brother whatever we do.

I went to my hairdressers in the centre of Carmarthen yesterday.  I was a bit cross that my husband drove to the car park and I had to walk in the rain when he could have dropped me at the door and driven to the carpark.  I said this to my hairdresser who told me it's a good job he didn't as there are two white estate  type cars going around photographing and issuing £75 fines.  Apparently some poor old chap stopped outside the Charity shop to drop his donations off and was fined for doing so. I'm all for being tough on illegal parking and people who cause obstruction but I think that's taking it to far.  Big brother is watching you.

Cassandra

« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2019, 01:31:13 PM »
In one way this is great, in another it's scarey that we could potentially be pinpointed by big brother whatever we do.

I went to my hairdressers in the centre of Carmarthen yesterday.  I was a bit cross that my husband drove to the car park and I had to walk in the rain when he could have dropped me at the door and driven to the carpark.  I said this to my hairdresser who told me it's a good job he didn't as there are two white estate  type cars going around photographing and issuing £75 fines.  Apparently some poor old chap stopped outside the Charity shop to drop his donations off and was fined for doing so. I'm all for being tough on illegal parking and people who cause obstruction but I think that's taking it to far.  Big brother is watching you.

Hardly surprising Labour and Plaid Cymru / Big Brother Nationalised!

Chair of the Council:    Cllr Kevin Madge,    Labour, Since 16th May 2018
Leader of Council:        Cllr Emlyn Dole,      Plaid Cymru
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Alfred

« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2019, 04:54:02 PM »
Yes I too have used amazon for many years , and to be fair they are very good , as it is you can track your delivery and know which day your package will arrive,

other people who live in the cul de sac,  take in other peoples deliveries as well which I too have  iv done for many other residents  which is nice and it makes for pleasant  neighbours who other wise might not have known each other,

iv done that for royal mail as well, which my neighbours have also done,

eegrek

« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2019, 06:12:56 PM »
I am very ambivalent towards Amazon as my experience has been a bit varied. I only went on the internet just over a year ago and during that time I have wasted over £300 on items that I should not have purchased. The truth is that it is too easy to buy what looked to be a good deal. It was mostly my fault as what I purchased was not suitable for the purpose I bought the items for. I know that I probably could have sent them back but the process looks complicated. I have at the same time had some success for Items that would have been difficult to source locally. I also pressed some wrong buttons at some point an found I had signed up to Prime Delivery at a cost of £7.99 per month. I decided then that I would severely restrict my requirements and would give local retailers another chance.

zoony

« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2019, 06:19:58 PM »
It's all too easy to accidentally sign up for Prime. Did it myself once but realized quickly and cancelled it before it cost me anything but Amazon are very cunning.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2019, 07:02:36 PM »
For those of you with Alexa, she'll even order for you.  As one of my children found out when an unexpected parcel arrived...for a grandchild.  Luckily it was something inexpensive.  ::)
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Goingtoseed

« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2019, 11:39:17 PM »

No excuses I'm afraid will wash. If it says no parking then that actually means no parking?
That is unless you have one the 10's of thousands of Blue Badges that are awash in Britain then you can park anywhere you want except for a red line zone or if there are two yellow lines painted on the edge of the pavement or yellow or white zig zags. Apart from those you get 3 hours free and can dump your car anywhere else.

zoony

« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2019, 12:00:53 AM »
A harsh judgement GTS. I assume that you're still able-bodied and I'm happy that you are but many aren't and shouldn't be harassed by folk like you who resent them.. If you're railing against those who use Blue-badge privilege illegally then I wholeheartedly agree but that wasn't made clear. Otherwise and I'd take strong issue with your tainted view.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2019, 05:28:46 AM »
As would I, knowing how difficult it can be to transport a disabled person sometimes
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2019, 08:26:47 AM »
I am very ambivalent towards Amazon as my experience has been a bit varied. I only went on the internet just over a year ago and during that time I have wasted over £300 on items that I should not have purchased. The truth is that it is too easy to buy what looked to be a good deal. It was mostly my fault as what I purchased was not suitable for the purpose I bought the items for. I know that I probably could have sent them back but the process looks complicated. I have at the same time had some success for Items that would have been difficult to source locally. I also pressed some wrong buttons at some point an found I had signed up to Prime Delivery at a cost of £7.99 per month. I decided then that I would severely restrict my requirements and would give local retailers another chance.

Amazon can't be blamed for those who don't know what they're buying or what button's they're pressing.

We find that Amazon Prime is brilliant value for money as we do a lot of shopping with Amazon which saves us a fortune on high street prices & we get free same-day / next-day delivery.

We occasionally use our Prime membership for videos but we've never used the included music facility.

The return process is so simple that most 5-yr-olds could do it with ease.

https://bit.ly/2OhMmaF
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

xetog

« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2019, 08:59:59 AM »
I have to say that I agree with Diasi.  Look for anything, even cut to size timber for DIY and you will find it there at competitive prices.  Also, if you can't remember quite when you purchased something, Amazon keep a record so you don't have to.  Want a repeat purchase? Just look up the record and 'buy again'.  I know that their employment practices are sometimes questionable, but hopefully pressure will change some of that.  When they started I thought it a huge risk selling books on line, but just look at it now.  It's the future.

MikeX
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2019, 10:11:08 AM »
I've never had any problems with Amazon - quite the reverse, in fact. Also there are a couple of their adverts I love!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

biglouis

« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2019, 03:57:31 PM »
Amazon come in very handy for all the mundane little things I need. I sold so much stuff yesterday (Black Friday) that I was running out of paper to print packing slips and had to order more which duly came today.
I have Amazon Prime and a fire stick for Amazon video streaming so I consider it a good service.
The deliveries have improved lately and I have several time been outside waiting for the courier to turn up outside my door. It saves him trolling round looking for the front door of my back-to-front house.
In the past some of these deliveries have been left with neighbours, in/behind bins, dumped in gardens etc but they seem to have improved lately.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.