Author Topic: Banged up abroad  (Read 1163 times)

biglouis

Banged up abroad
« on: Nov 16, 2019, 04:29:29 PM »
This is a series of programs about foolish people who (mostly) got caught smuggling drugs and were imprisoned abroad.

It brings to mind a (possibly) narrow escaps I had back in the 1970s when I was traveling back from Bangkok to Heathrow. I got chatting in the check in queue to an older well dressed man (Tony) who had his arm in a sling. He sort of chatted me up and we went into the bar for a pre flight drink. When the time came to go through security he asked if I could take his bag through (as he had his arm in a sling). This raised a red flag with me. I refused on the grounds i had my own bag to manage but offered to find someone at the airport to help him. He immediately became curt and walked off.

Later at the boarding gate I saw Tony with a much younger woman (I was in my 30s then) and she was carrying his bag. He had obviously picked her up for that purpose. During the long flight back I debated whether to say anything to the flight crew. If he had any contraband then the girl was an innocent dupe, probably flattered by the attentions of a well presented older man. There were very few airport scanners back in those days.

I mentioned this to the stewardess expecting her to dismiss it, but soon found myself relating my tale to the purser in a non public part of the plane. We were heading into Bahrain which is a country notoriously tough on smuggling. I asked if I was likely to be detained to make a statement, and what would happen if I missed my flight. The purser said he would inform the captain and it was up to him what happened. It was unlikely I would be detained as I had done nothing wrong and in the event I missed the plane the airline would arrange for my onward travel.

At Bahrain (which was a small airport in those days) there was no sign of Tony and his companion, not did they re-board when we again took off - 2 hours late. It was obvious that they had been detained. However no one approached me or took me aside. There was a fresh flight crew from Bahrain onward and they affected to know nothing about the matter or the reason for the delay.

I never found out what happened to them. There was no google in those days. The only way of finding out anything was to read the papers and watch the TV. There was no mention in the news of a British couple stopped at Bahrain.
So I will never know what Tony had in his bag.

I once got stopped at the airport for having too much tobacco on me and it scared the s***s out of me. I was lucky that it just got confiscated.

If the same thing happened today I would keep my mouth shut and let events take their course.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Raven

Re: Banged up abroad
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2019, 04:52:56 PM »
Scary. I'd never carry anyone's bag/case through any check point for them, I have always had a too suspicious mind and the way things are today, anyone who does carry another's bag is just asking for trouble. Just not worth the risk, Airport Staff are there to help so if the person is on the level then they should ask for their help..

richmond62

« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2019, 07:31:02 PM »
"This is a series of programs about foolish people who (mostly) got caught smuggling drugs"

Foolish for smuggling drugs or foolish for getting caught?  That does look just a wee bit ambig.  :)

biglouis

« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2019, 11:00:21 PM »
Foolish for smuggling drugs. I would not do it for a million pounds

zoony

« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2019, 11:45:17 PM »
Devlish cunning these smugglers. Nowadays they are very sophisticated or, like those exposed on such busts, stupid. Innocent people can sometimes be used as well as greedy or desperate people but the vast majority of high-level drug trafficking in this country goes undetected. Despite crowing headlines to the contrary. Legalize it all and take out the criminals. It works.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

richmond62

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2019, 07:24:38 AM »
Legalising it, restricting its usage (as per cannabis cafes in Holland) and taxing it might give the government(s)
more money to spend on healthcare and education.

xetog

« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2019, 10:52:20 AM »
Throwing users in jail for 6 months would also solve the problem, particularly amongst users with good jobs as they would loose those as well and others might avoid taking the risk.  A bit like driving and mobile phones.  If the penalty for using whilst driving were harsher, fewer would do it.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

richmond62

« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2019, 06:56:06 PM »
Hanging people for crimes in the 1700s didn't seem to do much good; that's why the Fielding brothers
removed the death penalty for so many things.

xetog

« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2019, 07:55:42 PM »
I didn't suggest we hang them!

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

richmond62

« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2019, 09:27:02 PM »
Very expensive banging up every prawn who smokes a spot of cannabis when
revenue from taxing the filthy stuff and money saved by the prison service
could be used to fund hospitals and school.

Of course hanging people is also quite cheap: but one has to grow cannabis (hemp) to
make the rope; so that's a bit fudgey in terms of morals.

zoony

« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2019, 10:08:39 PM »
 ;D  A great book! But if you follow her recipes using today's weed you'll need your guardian angel close by.. ;D

cowboy wisdom.

biglouis

« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2019, 11:13:50 PM »
Are we just talking about weed here or legalising more lethal stuff like crack cocaine?

zoony

« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2019, 12:16:01 AM »
Alice B belonged to a simpler era of stoners. Crack is whole different discussion.

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2019, 06:08:51 AM »
Legalising it, restricting its usage (as per cannabis cafes in Holland) and taxing it might give the government(s)
more money to spend on healthcare and education.

I'd vote for that.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais