Author Topic: abortions,  (Read 2616 times)

Alfred

abortions,
« on: Nov 19, 2019, 08:44:01 AM »
Reading on today's  sky news the amount of teenagers having abortions
five teenagers had six abortions in one year  and the news makes alarming reading, as the list goes on,

its alarming to say the least that evidently these teenagers cant be using any contraceptives and neither are the men in their lives, either,
and yet there is a lot of help out there for any one wishing to get and use these preventatives ,

but in this recent news it seems the information is quickly forgotten, and  unnecessary. as the abortions goes on,??

Q; what are your views regarding  abortions in general , and what else if possible could be done to prevent it,
your thoughts as usual will make interesting reading,.

Jacqueline

Re: abortions,
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2019, 10:49:22 AM »
Alfred I think you may have opened up a can of worms here.

There are very strong opposing views about abortion.  My opinion is that a woman had the right to choose after all it's her that has to go through nine months of pregnancy and give birth.

To use abortion as a means of contraception I think is very wrong, but it's up to their conscience, they have to live with this and I fear one day when they get some maturity it will come back to haunt them.

The pro life people would return us to pre 1967, when women would endanger their lives by going to back street abortionists.  A women my Aunt worked with died as the result of one of these.

I can remember a 16 year old girl in the early 1960s, when her boyfriend found out she was pregnant left her to it.  She had no choice but to go through a pregnancy, give birth and have the child adopted. Heartbreaking.

Look at the Magdalene Laundries, the way those poor girls were treated, forcibly having their children adopted (see the film Philomena with Judy Dench). The girls were the ones everyone look down on, nobody condemned the men.

Abortion is not a nice thing to do, but it should be there if needed, and certainly not treated lightly or abused.

GrannyMac

« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2019, 10:56:39 AM »
I remember my daughter mentioning fairly young teenagers who were having their second or third abortion when she was a staff nurse a long time ago.  I agree with Jacqueline that women should have the choice, but it shouldn't regularly replace contraception.  Advice, and perhaps a bit of pressure to have a contraceptive implant after the first termination should be mandatory.   Young men should also be reminded of their responsibilities!

Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Sheila

« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2019, 10:57:21 AM »
Good post Jacqueline. 

Bee

« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2019, 11:24:55 AM »
Seconded Jacqueline, good post.
The only way is up....

Alfred

« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2019, 11:38:51 AM »
having started this topic, I was thinking along the lines that if these girls had an abortion then they obviously realised that they didn't want a child in the first place ,  taking precautions was the only sensible thing to do,

equally I blame the men too, as they too easily could have done some thing about it, how ever are these young girls vulnerable or is it the men simply taking  advantage of the girls, or the other way around, ?? 

either way these unnecessary abortions could have been easily avoided in the first place if these people thought and realised the implications of not using contraceptives in the first place,

it makes me wonder were are their brains ,

stellamaris

« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2019, 01:31:51 PM »
I'm very much in favour of abortion if wanted and I don't think any conditions should apply.  Strong, strictly medical information and advice about the pros and cons is fine. Advice/persuasion on how to avoid it happening again is welcomed.  I imagine a high proportion of abortions would not happen if the news had been greeted with joy and enthusiasm by the partner and families. The girl/woman has to make a lonely decision.  There is also the pressure put on young girls by their families to make the 'problem' go away, especially if they are expected to go on to further education and well-paid careers.

I think surgical abortions for other than extreme circumstances must be quite rare these days .  It's usually done with a few pills.  I don't know how this physically affects those who do it multiple times.  It might affect  fertility which would be sad but that wouldn't register with a teenage girl who can see no other way out.

On balance an increasing number of abortions is better than an increasing number of unwanted/resented children. That said, it is absolutely awful that young girls have to learn the hard way.  If the partner had to contribute to the cost of the abortion it might help in making everyone aware of the gravity of the situation, including the parents of the girl and the boy involved.

I did know a young girl [almost 16] who had an abortion in the early 70s and then immediately became pregnant again, with the same partner [6 years older than her].  This time she had no choice but to go through with it, but handed it over to the father and his family.  Everyone was 'happy' with this outcome but she was subject to disapproval by many, her family were slightly ashamed and she had to live with that.  Her older sister [my close friend] supported her well.  She bought a house and her sister lived with her paying some rent.  The older girl made sure that the baby came and stayed there for regular periods and did everything she could for her sister to maintain contact her child.  I lost touch with them in the late 80s, but it had been a rocky relationship for mother and child. And it wasn't easy for my friend either.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2019, 02:31:51 PM »
Well, here goes to post what I feel is going to be very unpopular.
To my mind abortion is justified in just four scenarios:-
1. Pregnancy following rape.
2. Pregnancy where the physical health of the mother is at serious risk - i.e. effectively life-threatening.
3. Where the foetus shows clear indication of very serious health issues - i.e. unlikely to survive perinatally
4. Where the mother is educationally subnormal to the extent that informed consent would have been impossible (effectively a sub-section of rape)

Given the readily available and highly effective methods of contraception, there is no excuse for women becoming pregnant unintentionally. Of course, this is a dual responsibility upon both parties.
Frankly, I regard 'casual' abortion as murder.
Mike

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Jacqueline

« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2019, 06:17:32 PM »
Further to my earlier post. These young girls when they go for an abortion  should  have a contraceptive implant before they leave the clinic. Abortion should not be used as contraception.

If they repeatedly go back they should be told in graphic detail what happens in the abortion procedure.  This worked in a similar way for a young friend many years ago,who was a mad young boy racer driver, his father a Police Inspector took him to the Mortuary and showed him bodies of car crash victims, it did have an effect.

When I was young it was not socially acceptable to have sex outside marriage,  so you were a fallen women of you landed up pregnant if your boyfriend wouldn't marry you.  These days anything goes and I'm sure there is more pressure on young girls to have sex even if they are not ready for a relationship as marriage doesn't seem to matter much these days.

This is a contentious subject, first hand seeing the misery of pre 1967, nobody has the right to force a woman to have an unwanted baby.  Women who have an abortion have to live with their decision most (not all) don't do it lightly.

mick607

« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2019, 08:15:38 PM »
Give the girls abortion on demand as often as the like.Why should my hard earned tax fund an idle lifestyle living off benefits ?

biglouis

« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2019, 11:15:54 PM »
One day our science will relieve women of the degradation of pregnancy and childbirth. All babies will be test tube babies raised in artificial wombs. Women who choose to give birth to children in the so-called "natural" way will be regarded as retrogressive and eccentric. It may even be illegal.
This is the only way we can strip women of the burden of their role as primary childcarer.

By then the idea of the family and marriage will probably have withered away. Children will be raised by the state.

Some of the darkest crimes take place within the family.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2019, 11:40:58 PM »
You seem to be a fan of 1984

mick607

« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2019, 08:22:03 AM »
One day our science will relieve women of the degradation of pregnancy and childbirth. All babies will be test tube babies raised in artificial wombs. Women who choose to give birth to children in the so-called "natural" way will be regarded as retrogressive and eccentric. It may even be illegal.
This is the only way we can strip women of the burden of their role as primary childcarer.

By then the idea of the family and marriage will probably have withered away. Children will be raised by the state.

Some of the darkest crimes take place within the family.
I think you have the problem regarding childbirth.
There is absolutely nothing degrading about a woman giving birth it is the most natural thing in the world.
But homosexuals changing gender by any means IS perverse & sickening.
Homosexuals bringing up children trying to be normal is certainly not normal.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2019, 09:24:35 AM »
I think you have the problem regarding childbirth.
There is absolutely nothing degrading about a woman giving birth it is the most natural thing in the world.
But homosexuals changing gender by any means IS perverse & sickening.
Homosexuals bringing up children trying to be normal is certainly not normal.
Totally agree
Mike

Jacqueline

« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2019, 10:58:52 AM »
It's a damned shame you men can't have a childbirth experience see how you feel then.  To have a child you have to give birth, I quote princess Ann who once said having children is an occupational hazard of being a wife (or something along those lines). A friend once said that when she was wheeled into the delivery room she knew she'd go through hell and back before she came out again.  I'm afraid us women will just  have to grin and bare it to have children.

Mick 607 As to homosexuals thinking they can become women or bringing up children as a certain dreadful aging pop star does with "daddy and poppa" don't start me please!!! 

I see another feminist speaker has been banned from Oxford as transphobic.  As I have said before, these wannabe women would not want to be women say 50 years ago it's only because they have the equal rights women fought for.