Author Topic: abortions,  (Read 2617 times)

stellamaris

Re: abortions,
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2019, 11:38:40 AM »
One day our science will relieve women of the degradation of pregnancy and childbirth. All babies will be test tube babies raised in artificial wombs. Women who choose to give birth to children in the so-called "natural" way will be regarded as retrogressive and eccentric. It may even be illegal.
This is the only way we can strip women of the burden of their role as primary childcarer.

By then the idea of the family and marriage will probably have withered away. Children will be raised by the state.

Some of the darkest crimes take place within the family.

Raven, I don't really agree with your view of the future [too Brave New World for me] but I can appreciate how you came to it and the validity of it.  I would like to find a more middle way.  Women have to fight a long battle to get sterilized at a young age.   Getting it done by the NHS anyway.  I suppose it could be viewed as something that should be paid for.  My point is that there is strong opposition to young women having abortions unless some sort of extreme conditions are met.  Then on the other side there is stronger opposition to young women taking control of their own fertility and getting sterilized.  That is where I appreciate the tyranny aspect to your post.   I have posted this not very old link which I hope will work out.  It shows that the attitude towards sterilization hasn't moved in the 30/40 years I have been aware of it via about 5 women who have really wanted this, because they really wanted to be childless.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/i-fought-a-four-year-battle-with-the-nhs-to-be-sterilised-at-30/

Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Diasi

« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2019, 11:45:23 AM »
One day our science will relieve women of the degradation of pregnancy and childbirth. All babies will be test tube babies raised in artificial wombs. Women who choose to give birth to children in the so-called "natural" way will be regarded as retrogressive and eccentric. It may even be illegal.
This is the only way we can strip women of the burden of their role as primary childcarer.

By then the idea of the family and marriage will probably have withered away. Children will be raised by the state.

Some of the darkest crimes take place within the family.
An interesting & very possible future concept.

Good new for us blokes as we'll still be required to contribute to the process by knocking one out. ;D
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2019, 11:55:20 AM »
Does anyone honestly believe that children being brought up by the state as the norm is a good idea? Just imagine the effect a latter day Corbyn could have - frankly I regard the concept as appalling
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Raven

« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2019, 12:37:56 PM »

Raven, I don't really agree with your view of the future [too Brave New World for me] but I can appreciate how you came to it and the validity of it.  I would like to find a more middle way.  Women have to fight a long battle to get sterilized at a young age.   Getting it done by the NHS anyway.  I suppose it could be viewed as something that should be paid for.  My point is that there is strong opposition to young women having abortions unless some sort of extreme conditions are met.  Then on the other side there is stronger opposition to young women taking control of their own fertility and getting sterilized.  That is where I appreciate the tyranny aspect to your post.   I have posted this not very old link which I hope will work out.  It shows that the attitude towards sterilization hasn't moved in the 30/40 years I have been aware of it via about 5 women who have really wanted this, because they really wanted to be childless.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/i-fought-a-four-year-battle-with-the-nhs-to-be-sterilised-at-30/

EH? I've not posted in this thread.  :o

stellamaris

« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2019, 01:42:15 PM »

EH? I've not posted in this thread.  :o

Oops, Oops, and Oops again!  I'm sorry Raven.  And a big sorry to bigouis also to whose post I was replying.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Raven

« Reply #20 on: Nov 21, 2019, 05:04:07 PM »

Oops, Oops, and Oops again!  I'm sorry Raven.  And a big sorry to bigouis also to whose post I was replying.

Stella, Me thinks you'll need to put a drop more water in your whisky. ;D ;D ;D

biglouis

« Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2019, 12:41:19 PM »
The entire process of reproduction has always struck me as messy, degrading and inconvenient. I dont know a single woman who enjoys having periods. Certainly I never did and was heartily glad when they stopped suddenly in my mid 40s.

Gullible women are conned into thinking that childbirth is wonderful etc and made to feel guilty if they dont. I am glad that I was gifted with an intellect where I questioned such nonsense and did not regard it as inevitable.

Even a metal defective can become pregnant and produce a child. It is not wonderful nor is in an achievement. The achievement is in being child free.

Then you have the privilage of paying for facilities for other people's children via a corrupt tax system.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Diasi

« Reply #22 on: Nov 26, 2019, 01:11:06 PM »
The entire process of reproduction has always struck me as messy, degrading and inconvenient. I dont know a single woman who enjoys having periods. Certainly I never did and was heartily glad when they stopped suddenly in my mid 40s.

Gullible women are conned into thinking that childbirth is wonderful etc and made to feel guilty if they dont. I am glad that I was gifted with an intellect where I questioned such nonsense and did not regard it as inevitable.

Even a metal defective can become pregnant and produce a child. It is not wonderful nor is in an achievement. The achievement is in being child free.

Then you have the privilage of paying for facilities for other people's children via a corrupt tax system.

But you'd be stuffed if some woman hadn't endured the degradation of providing you with a nephew who sorts out your computer problems.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

biglouis

« Reply #23 on: Nov 26, 2019, 05:13:54 PM »
Yes I get this pathetic argument all the time about my mother having given birth to me. Usually from men. Childbirth in the so called "natural" way should be a choice and not an obligation which reduces women to a womb on legs.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

GrannyMac

« Reply #24 on: Nov 26, 2019, 05:51:55 PM »
It was our considered choice to have children.  Others may well have contributed to their upbringing via taxes, but both of our children and their husband/wife earn enough to be paying it back.    Neither family qualify for child benefit, their earnings preclude them.  So I think they are doing a fair job of paying their dues. 

Having a child is not inevitable, unless a woman is in a controlling/violent relationship or is raped.   Biglouis, you say the achievement is being child free.  Some of us might say another achievement is successfully bringing up children to become responsible, independent, caring adults.  Preferably grown ups who don't denigrate anyone just for having a different viewpoint.   :)

Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Bee

« Reply #25 on: Nov 26, 2019, 06:28:55 PM »
It was our considered choice to have children.  Others may well have contributed to their upbringing via taxes, but both of our children and their husband/wife earn enough to be paying it back.    Neither family qualify for child benefit, their earnings preclude them.  So I think they are doing a fair job of paying their dues. 

Having a child is not inevitable, unless a woman is in a controlling/violent relationship or is raped.   Biglouis, you say the achievement is being child free.  Some of us might say another achievement is successfully bringing up children to become responsible, independent, caring adults.  Preferably grown ups who don't denigrate anyone just for having a different viewpoint.   :)

Can't help but agree with you GrannyMac.
The only way is up....

mick607

« Reply #26 on: Nov 26, 2019, 07:16:57 PM »

Excellent post GM.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #27 on: Nov 26, 2019, 07:42:04 PM »
Well said, GM
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #28 on: Nov 27, 2019, 11:04:53 AM »
Yes I get this pathetic argument all the time about my mother having given birth to me. Usually from men. Childbirth in the so called "natural" way should be a choice and not an obligation which reduces women to a womb on legs.

Hmmm, I have to admit that I can understand this point of view.

For a woman, with a self-publicised shed-load of degrees & abilities, your intelligence level seems to be playing catch-up.

There is no obligation whatsoever on any woman to have children, some choose to have them & some don't.

richmond62

« Reply #29 on: Nov 27, 2019, 04:45:21 PM »
When our son was born my sister rang me to thank me, which seemed odd until
she explained that that would mean our Mum would stop getting on her case to "provide"
grandchildren.

My sister has gone on, without having children, to have an extremely rich and satisfying life.

And as to abortions: the whole thought of them makes me want to scream: but I do realise that
under certain circumstances they may be a necessary evil, so I will be the last person to condemn
anyone for having an abortion.

But using abortion as a form of contraception is horrible.