Author Topic: Panorama and the British Army  (Read 512 times)

digitalis

Panorama and the British Army
« on: Nov 19, 2019, 08:58:37 AM »
Watched and,sad to say,believed it all. Indeed,I can say,what took you so long to break the story!

You have young men from disadvantaged backgrounds joining an organization that has as its job killing others. Its messy work,and it has its kickbacks. For those on the coalface it means taking out the foe by any means. Glamourized by film you go out with mad rock music blaring to kill the enemy by any means only to leave the army and have those you've snuffed out and tortured come back to haunt you. Little wonder you hit the bottle...and your wife. The killing kills yourself. Its all too dreadful.

Whilst some army personnel can compartmentalize their murders,I guess some cannot. When they've seen colleagues die,have been attacked and brutalized others...its all too much. Come home,and no one cares two monkeys. Its a dark and lonely place you enter.

Later,after you've been trained to kill and torture the enemy(and have done so),the solicitors come for you.

There's a lot of suffering in these wars.

Whilst Panorama exposed some of the brutal stuff that was going on over in Iraq and Afghanistan,I saw in the background our honored MPs and leaders.

Jack Straw,Tony Blair. So many others. Wow,I just wouldn't be able to sleep at night. They gained their gold. But at what price

Jacqueline

Re: Panorama and the British Army
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2019, 06:49:05 PM »
They wouldn't have dared bring to book British WW11 soldiers, who I'm sure did much the same. 

It's Tony Blair and co.who should be in the dock for sending these guys there in the first place.  War does not have Queensbury rules, it's you or the other bloke.

digitalis

« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2019, 07:41:41 PM »
I want to give the benefit of doubt to  those I find suspect. But I think once you are in the forces machine the machine and the need to win and/or survive take over. I can see how you can become corrupted by bad practice and you don't get on unless you fit the bill. Oblique comments,and apologies.

Bad and criminal policies were promoted by our governments leaders. The army and forces obeyed their orders and then it became kill or be killed. I just think our forces personnel know what war they fought was wrong and immoral. Then they fight for their lives and do some reckless acts. When they come home I think their actions come home to visit them. I'd feel pretty ashamed and guilty myself.

Fighting ISIS is another matter. But then ISIS may have been brought about by our interventions in Iraq.

What a mess!

richmond62

« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2019, 07:46:23 PM »
If you put me in uniform and there I am facing some bloke who is going to kill me
unless I "do" him first I am hardly going to whip out my mobile phone,
ask him to hang on a mo' while I ring up my legal expert to ask if
I slice his guts open with a bayonet constitutes a war-crime or not, for "F's" sake.

In a perfect word (Oh, Ha, Ha, Ha) there'd be no war and no soldiers. But the world isnae like that.

I'd say cut the soldiers of NATO and so on a bit of slack.

The North Koreans and other fellow travellers must be splitting their knickers
at the idea of soldiers getting in trouble for doing their job: killing people.

All of this stuff seems a bit snowflakey to me.

Alex22

« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2019, 07:50:46 PM »
The way this country treats our military is a disgrace.     What other country would pardon members of a terrorist organisation whilst hounding their own ex soldiers  ?   

I didn't see Panorama I'll get it on catch-up,  but I agree with Jacqueline that it's Tony Blair who should be in court.

zoony

« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2019, 01:10:01 AM »
If you put me in uniform and there I am facing some bloke who is going to kill me
unless I "do" him first I am hardly going to whip out my mobile phone,
ask him to hang on a mo' while I ring up my legal expert to ask if
I slice his guts open with a bayonet constitutes a war-crime or not, for "F's" sake.

In a perfect word (Oh, Ha, Ha, Ha) there'd be no war and no soldiers. But the world isnae like that.

I'd say cut the soldiers of NATO and so on a bit of slack.

The North Koreans and other fellow travellers must be splitting their knickers
at the idea of soldiers getting in trouble for doing their job: killing people.

All of this stuff seems a bit snowflakey to me.

Couldn't agree more. I wonder how many of the people who judge these things have ever faced an oncoming enemy with a weapon in their hands in fear of their own and their comrades lives...Or even just been ordered to shoot.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

digitalis

« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2019, 08:25:07 AM »
Sometimes I don't know what I'm talking about...this might be one of those occasions. But having worked in one malfunctioning public organization,I can see how bad things happen and it its all covered up. Then,if you want to 'get on',you stay schtum,dont dob in your brothers,then continue with bad practice

One scenario with the army and the enemy. YER IN THEIR COUNTRY. WTF are you doing there!! You've also started to bomb and strafe their cities and towns. You've killed their kids with blanket bombings(forget the targeted missile baloney) Sometimes your own countrymen who don't like you (cos of such and such),snitch on you,say youre a terrorist. Next thing you've got  hyped up foreign forces who have been trained to kill booting in your door,killing your sister and son. You then have that same foreign army torturing your waiter! brother. As these foreign folk with their massive weapons strike you down you try and succeed in fighting back. The foreign invading army then call you evil.
When the winning foreign army go back to their homelands(many in coffins or in wheelchairs)they then find their leaders have told them a lie. They then only realize what they've done to the native folk. I would suggest their walk down the Mall be one of shame. They became saps. Now back in their hometowns they watch as Gary Linekar gets £700k pa as their haunted by their memories before their marriages break up. With that I have sympathy. Meanwhile JackStraw and T Blair and all the others...well,what can you say about them.

Asa PS at 4am this morn I heard Catherine Gunn comment on World Service. I think there might be a film about her called The Hunt. Its where the British Government knew what they were doing was wrong and criminal,but covered everything up through the official secrets act. She found herself in a position where she couldn't go along with the lies she had to to tell to keep her job. Lottsa others went on to keep em hidden,for their careers and safety and family. I can understand it. But its wrong.
The worst thing is the Law and those who oversee it are bent. Sweeping statement,I know. But you just know through the stench its true.I wish I could say otherwise

digitalis

« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2019, 08:28:39 AM »
Missing text: ...comment on The World Service. The film The Hunt details British and Amrican collusion in breaking International Laws

biglouis

« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2019, 11:10:12 PM »
I have always considered Blair to be a war criminal and would love to see him stand trial.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.