Author Topic: contactless cards.  (Read 226 times)

Alfred

contactless cards.
« on: Nov 20, 2019, 02:56:33 PM »
Shortly I will be receiving a new bank card, to which i will also be able to use in a shop  as a contactless card, as well as a chip and pin card, and the limit if used say in a shop is 30.00,.

I'm sure other pensioner forum members, most likely will already have had these cards and have been using them regularly,

what could be a serious problem is that although should the card be lost or stolen what is to stop the thieve/s  using the card in a number of other shops ,.... although its the card owners responsibility, to ensure that the card should be kept in a safe place at all times,

Q; have you got one of these cards and have you used it in a contactless transaction,....and what is your opinion of these cards,

GrannyMac

Re: contactless cards.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2019, 03:06:57 PM »
I have a contactless debit card, it's used regularly, I rarely carry much cash these days.  I'm careful with it, but I find it very useful, and it speeds up transactions.
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Aesop

zoony

« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2019, 03:09:41 PM »
Alfred. I have one and use it every day though I was initially reluctant. It's instant, your card never leaves your hand and there's no cash to count. I still carry cash but rarely use it nowadays.
" There ain't no Devil, it's jus' God when he's drunk.."

Tom Waites

Raven

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2019, 03:23:11 PM »

I use mine all the time, there's a wee section on my phone bank app if I click on it then it locks the card straight away. It can be reactivated by a visit to the bank.....if I remember correctly, not used it hope I never have to.

sparky

« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2019, 04:48:39 PM »
I have refused contactless cards. and although  the  additional risk with them is very small. I don't see simply tapping in my pin number instead as a problem.

Alex22

« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2019, 05:00:16 PM »
I prefer to put in my pin number.   If you drop your card someone could pick it up and use it in the shop next door - ok only up to 30 but there could be another 30 in the shop next door to that and so on, until you discover you don't have your card.   Have I got this right  ? ???

Alfred

« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2019, 05:38:35 PM »
my sincere thanks to you all, and I appreciate the advice you have given me,

Alfred.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2019, 11:11:11 PM »
Mine is contactless, but apart from a couple of bus journeys in London where there was no alternative, cash not being accepted, I never use it in such a way.
Mike
The older I get, the better I was!

Sheila

« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2019, 06:38:02 AM »
I'm happy to use contactless whenever possible as it saves me from finding my reading glasses.  I really need to hang them round my neck but pride won't allow me to!
Everything I can't find is in a totally secure place.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2019, 07:16:26 AM »
A thought - when you use a contactless card in a shop, do you get a receipt? I mentioned having to use it for London buses, and until the charges appeared on my statement a while later, I had no idea what the journeys had cost me
Mike

Ashy

« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2019, 10:27:35 AM »
Yes you should be offered a receipt in a shop and unlike the bus they tell you how much. I'm not sure what a London bus fare is, they are about 1.10 flat fare I think but there is a daily cap and in some cases a second journey is not charged. Not like the old days when the cheerful conductor had to know all the stops.
LEAVE MEANS LEAVE

Floydian

« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2019, 10:57:15 AM »
I wonder if you can get the 'contactless' pay part of your card disabled, so you just have the pin number option? Seems safer to me....  ???
Ha ha, charade you are...

sparky

« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2019, 11:10:09 AM »
Floydian, Yes I believe that is an option now, it was at one time a different card, but I seem to recall the last time I asked for a contactless card I was told they just disable that function on a standard card now.

Raven

« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2019, 12:43:03 PM »
A thought - when you use a contactless card in a shop, do you get a receipt? I mentioned having to use it for London buses, and until the charges appeared on my statement a while later, I had no idea what the journeys had cost me
Mike

Not that I use the London Buses but I would have though your ticket from the driver was your receipt, it would have had the fare cost on it.  ;D Wouldn't it?

Michael Rolls

« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2019, 10:30:25 PM »

Not that I use the London Buses but I would have though your ticket from the driver was your receipt, it would have had the fare cost on it.  ;D Wouldn't it?
What ticket? There wasn't one - you just paid as you got on and then sat down.
Mike