Author Topic: contactless cards.  (Read 977 times)

Alfred

contactless cards.
« on: Nov 20, 2019, 02:56:33 PM »
Shortly I will be receiving a new bank card, to which i will also be able to use in a shop  as a contactless card, as well as a chip and pin card, and the limit if used say in a shop is £30.00,.

I'm sure other pensioner forum members, most likely will already have had these cards and have been using them regularly,

what could be a serious problem is that although should the card be lost or stolen what is to stop the thieve/s  using the card in a number of other shops ,.... although its the card owners responsibility, to ensure that the card should be kept in a safe place at all times,

Q; have you got one of these cards and have you used it in a contactless transaction,....and what is your opinion of these cards,

GrannyMac

Re: contactless cards.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2019, 03:06:57 PM »
I have a contactless debit card, it's used regularly, I rarely carry much cash these days.  I'm careful with it, but I find it very useful, and it speeds up transactions.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

zoony

« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2019, 03:09:41 PM »
Alfred. I have one and use it every day though I was initially reluctant. It's instant, your card never leaves your hand and there's no cash to count. I still carry cash but rarely use it nowadays.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Raven

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2019, 03:23:11 PM »

I use mine all the time, there's a wee section on my phone bank app if I click on it then it locks the card straight away. It can be reactivated by a visit to the bank.....if I remember correctly, not used it hope I never have to.

sparky

« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2019, 04:48:39 PM »
I have refused contactless cards. and although  the  additional risk with them is very small. I don't see simply tapping in my pin number instead as a problem.

Alex22

« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2019, 05:00:16 PM »
I prefer to put in my pin number.   If you drop your card someone could pick it up and use it in the shop next door - ok only up to £30 but there could be another £30 in the shop next door to that and so on, until you discover you don't have your card.   Have I got this right  ? ???

Alfred

« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2019, 05:38:35 PM »
my sincere thanks to you all, and I appreciate the advice you have given me,

Alfred.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2019, 11:11:11 PM »
Mine is contactless, but apart from a couple of bus journeys in London where there was no alternative, cash not being accepted, I never use it in such a way.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Sheila

« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2019, 06:38:02 AM »
I'm happy to use contactless whenever possible as it saves me from finding my reading glasses.  I really need to hang them round my neck but pride won't allow me to!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2019, 07:16:26 AM »
A thought - when you use a contactless card in a shop, do you get a receipt? I mentioned having to use it for London buses, and until the charges appeared on my statement a while later, I had no idea what the journeys had cost me
Mike

Ashy

« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2019, 10:27:35 AM »
Yes you should be offered a receipt in a shop and unlike the bus they tell you how much. I'm not sure what a London bus fare is, they are about £1.10 flat fare I think but there is a daily cap and in some cases a second journey is not charged. Not like the old days when the cheerful conductor had to know all the stops.

Floydian

« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2019, 10:57:15 AM »
I wonder if you can get the 'contactless' pay part of your card disabled, so you just have the pin number option? Seems safer to me....  ???
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

sparky

« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2019, 11:10:09 AM »
Floydian, Yes I believe that is an option now, it was at one time a different card, but I seem to recall the last time I asked for a contactless card I was told they just disable that function on a standard card now.

Raven

« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2019, 12:43:03 PM »
A thought - when you use a contactless card in a shop, do you get a receipt? I mentioned having to use it for London buses, and until the charges appeared on my statement a while later, I had no idea what the journeys had cost me
Mike

Not that I use the London Buses but I would have though your ticket from the driver was your receipt, it would have had the fare cost on it.  ;D Wouldn't it?

Michael Rolls

« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2019, 10:30:25 PM »

Not that I use the London Buses but I would have though your ticket from the driver was your receipt, it would have had the fare cost on it.  ;D Wouldn't it?
What ticket? There wasn't one - you just paid as you got on and then sat down.
Mike