Author Topic: contactless cards.  (Read 976 times)

Raven

Re: contactless cards.
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2019, 12:49:42 PM »
What ticket? There wasn't one - you just paid as you got on and then sat down.
Mike

Oh, I didn't realise, think I'd have asked for one. What if the Ticket Inspector came on? Or don't London buses have them. Every bus I've ever been on has always issued tickets......Strange.  ???

Michael Rolls

« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2019, 03:18:50 PM »
You couldn’t pass the driver unless you paid. Fixed price regardless of destination - these were only very local buses. For all I know others may be different
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Cassandra

« Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2019, 05:36:44 PM »
I have a London Transport 'Oyster' card for when I'm in London, very handy (Tube & Buses) and the inspectors can verify whether you've 'tapped' on or not from their hand held terminals, showing your current journey details in actual time. There's been a series on TV about Fare Dodging in London recently, which I thought demonstrated how effective and efficient this system was.

Much better than the horror of queuing for horrible ticket machines with lines of impatient pressurised people (time hungry, I think its called in Millenialspeak). You just 'tap on and off' at the screen terminals located by the entry and exit barriers, or access points on buses. You can pre-set your credit limit in advance (like a prepaid PAYG phone). Any unspent sums are just left pending. I wish they'd been around in my time of consistent 'Tube' journeys 50 years ago, or even twenty when they started shutting down or limiting 'ticket offices' everywhere.
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...