Author Topic: Don't lose your car key.....  (Read 306 times)

Floydian

Don't lose your car key.....
« on: Nov 21, 2019, 06:35:44 PM »
My wife lost her car key the other day, fortunately we have a spare but worried if that one ever went missing she decided to have another one made. She drives a Vw golf tdi, 2015 version. I phoned a couple of local autolocksmiths and was advised that only a main agent can cut and reprogramme a new key for that particular model and we would be looking at a cost of about £300. Going through the insurance route would still cost the £200 excess, then a rise in the renewal premium next year no doubt. I decided to make just one more call to another autolocksmith who luckily for us (for a change!) said no problem and it would be £150. Still a fair old amount of money but half of what we might have paid from a main agent.
Look after your keys folks....

"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

Alex22

Re: Don't lose your car key.....
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2019, 07:04:00 PM »
That's expensive,  I had no idea !  ::)

mick607

« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2019, 08:29:25 PM »
Also if there is only one key the resale value when you sell the car will be lower than the market price.

Diasi

« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2019, 11:06:56 AM »
The car's key code is stored in the management software.

A new key can be cut by anyone with a key cutter & it can be programmed into the car by anyone with a decent diagnostic tool.

The link's for VWs up to 2014 but it's the same or similar  process for later models.

Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)