Author Topic: Phoning dwp  (Read 2032 times)

Goingtoseed

Re: Phoning dwp
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2019, 11:02:54 PM »
Kaitlin would it be inappropriate for me to ask why you are trying to phone the DWP ?? Almost everything is done online these days and everything is on their webpage.

I agree and there is an answer to every possible question if you can find where to look. It gets quite interesting when you have to search www. Parliament. UK to try to find what the actual legislation is. Then go to tribunalsdecisions.service.gov.uk to see if there is any case law for that particular subject.
Got that far?
Then you have to see how the various government departments interpret all of the above and combine it within their own staff manuals.

And if you get that far you have probably forgotten exactly what you were looking for.

Instead ring the particular government dept and you will normally only get as far as a call handler that hasn't a clue but will tell you that they will get someone to ring you back sometime within the next 5 days. You never get the call so you start from the beginning and ring them up and speak to a call handler.

biglouis

« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2019, 11:47:33 PM »
I have learned that if you complain about ANYTHING while on the phone to Tesco they send you a £10 voucher.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Jacqueline

« Reply #17 on: Nov 27, 2019, 11:53:27 PM »
Biglouis,

I recently complained to Tescos got nothing, not even a satisfactory explaination. Where did I go wrong?

biglouis

« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2019, 02:46:19 PM »
Maybe you did not use the correct "buzz" words. I told the manager I was elderly and vulnerable, that the other man had made me feel "very threatened". 

Some time back when my bank (A+L) became Santander they got my birth date mixed up so I failed their security test when I rang up. They did not seem to have any back up plan for disabled non drivers to do other than go to a branch with ID. After sending a very strong letter of complaint using words like maladministration and disability discrimination I got several hundred out of them plus my taxi fares both ways.

A few weeks ago my nephew was called a "silly old fart" by an assistant in Azda. I persuaded him to contact the CEO to make a direct complaint. They sent him a £20 voucher and the assistant in question is no longer to be seen on that counter.

I love making big companies squirm and pay up.

Diasi

« Reply #19 on: Nov 28, 2019, 03:10:33 PM »
Maybe you did not use the correct "buzz" words. I told the manager I was elderly and vulnerable, that the other man had made me feel "very threatened". 

Some time back when my bank (A+L) became Santander they got my birth date mixed up so I failed their security test when I rang up. They did not seem to have any back up plan for disabled non drivers to do other than go to a branch with ID. After sending a very strong letter of complaint using words like maladministration and disability discrimination I got several hundred out of them plus my taxi fares both ways.

A few weeks ago my nephew was called a "silly old fart" by an assistant in Azda. I persuaded him to contact the CEO to make a direct complaint. They sent him a £20 voucher and the assistant in question is no longer to be seen on that counter.

I love making big companies squirm and pay up.

Yes, taking companies, local authorities, utility providers, government department & neighbours to task does seem to play a huge part in your life.

By the way, the fact that the Asda assistant shouldn't have called your nephew a "silly old fart", doesn't mean that he didn't act like a silly old fart.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

luvchocolate

« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2019, 03:52:48 PM »
When I rang to claim my state pension, got through straight away at 8 am.
Trouble was I got my security questions wrong!
Found the right dates and rang again the following day at 8 am

biglouis

« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2019, 05:40:13 PM »
Yes I DO enjoy taking on big companies and so called authority figures generally. If more people stood up and showed a bit of backbone we would not be such a lot of sheep. Complaining effectively is an art form and 99.9% of the time they will back down just to be rid of you. Americans are much more vocal at calling out poor service than we are. Its a habit I picked up from them when I worked at Uni of Nevada.

One of the reasons for so much anger following Brexit is that many ordinary people are tired of not being listened to over various issues. So they are taking the opportunity to lash back for once.

Raven

« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2019, 05:43:30 PM »
And the didums politicians don't like it.  ;D

Jacqueline

« Reply #23 on: Nov 29, 2019, 05:55:00 PM »
Biglouis,

Husband and I both worked in places with petty minded rotten managers, so if any complaining  had to be done would be aimed at the appropriate  management. 

GrannyMac

« Reply #24 on: Nov 30, 2019, 07:51:12 AM »
I often give feedback on service - good or bad.  A lot of my working life was in customer facing roles, including managing front line council services, which was fun! Not. People who wanted the impossible, demanding 'their rights' (they were usually wrong), and generally angry with their lot and looking to blame others.  I was also active in training staff in dealing with complaints. 

We could diffuse most situations, we took the time to explain clearly what was available, what we could help with, directed people to the services they needed, often making initial contact for them. Unfortunately there are some people who approach every situation belligerently, and take everything personally.  Those were the customers I'd kill with kindness!

I took our endowment insurers through their complaints system and got the £4k I wanted. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais