Author Topic: Hey up folk , computers & Tech  (Read 1093 times)

RocoinSurrey

Hey up folk , computers & Tech
« on: Nov 24, 2019, 01:23:55 AM »
Was my reason to stay up late, and shoot out of bed early next day, since the early days  of Windows 3.1 , ( no Internet) that we now concider it our right today , indeed with Windows 5 and a pay as you go connection , ( but you had to disconnect the house phone) changed my life, and gained me friends world wide, now we are getting a proposed  free high speed Fibre connection for everyone in the UK,  the cost will be astronomical IMO,
Any thoughts on this, is it a Hobey or esential  today ?
A wolf without a Forrest, is just a  dog on a Leash.

zoony

Re: Hey up folk , computers & Tech
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2019, 01:41:50 AM »
 You speak a language that I don't fully understand nor do I have the time to donate to learning it. To me, the computer is a machine that I use just like a vacuum cleaner or my car. I turn it on and expect it to work and it does. I have a younger brother if I should encounter something I'm unsure about. ;)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

RocoinSurrey

« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2019, 02:09:37 AM »
You speak a language that I don't fully understand nor do I have the time to donate to learning it. To me, the computer is a machine that I use just like a vacuum cleaner or my car. I turn it on and expect it to work and it does. I have a younger brother if I should encounter something I'm unsure about. ;)
me too zoony these days , I now use my grandson 24y)for advice ,I gave hin his first Computer when he was 7, now he earns his well paid living in the computer tech world for the NHS,   indeed from small Acorns ect ,

Diasi

« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2019, 11:24:21 AM »
Was my reason to stay up late, and shoot out of bed early next day, since the early days  of Windows 3.1 , ( no Internet) that we now concider it our right today , indeed with Windows 5 and a pay as you go connection , ( but you had to disconnect the house phone) changed my life, and gained me friends world wide, now we are getting a proposed  free high speed Fibre connection for everyone in the UK,  the cost will be astronomical IMO,
Any thoughts on this, is it a Hobey or esential  today ?
I think that all things in life evolve to become essential for the functioning of life at that point in time, & the internet is just the same.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Yellowbird

« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2019, 06:01:47 PM »
We have had workmen digging up the road to lay cables for fibre internet, I am quite excited as the signal in our village is not very good. Expect it will be pricey but hopefully affordable. Must say the IPad and laptop have given me much pleasure. Dare I mention I have an Xbox also and love playing Tombraider, as Laura Croft I have many strange adventures
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly

Traveller

« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2019, 06:51:56 PM »
Having spent my career working with computers in one capacity or another, I'm now glad to regard them as simply a tool to use as and when I need.  I started in days of paper tape, then punch cards before having the joy of a 'teletype' and then a VDU.   

I think that Diasi has it right - a computer /tablet etc..  is becoming essential because the alternatives are disappearing!  Banks, shops and post offices are disappearing from our high streets and we have to rely on on-line transactions. 

But High speed fibre ?  Does anyone seriously think that BT, Sky, Virgin etc.. are going to provide it to small villages similar to the one I live in?   If you read the small print of government "commitment" to provide fast broadband to all properties - it's only if it's practical for them to do so and you can't get it any other way.   Just empty words - do they care?  The hell they do.
You'll have had your tea.

RocoinSurrey

« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2019, 08:18:17 PM »
So right > Traveler , the cost of h/speed cable to house , yes I could have it , but why ? , I am happy enough with FTTC , and was with my then DSL connection  ,yes Internet is a wonderful thing, and is now my main communications/information tool ,