Author Topic: Thanks Tesco  (Read 1449 times)

Bobcat

Thanks Tesco
« on: Nov 24, 2019, 11:44:55 AM »
I bought some walnuts from Tesco yesterday. The label on the string bag read as follows.

Preparation - Remove shells

Alagy Advice - Also may contain peanuts and other nuts.

Wow thanks for that I was going to eat them with the shells on !!!!

Michael Rolls

Re: Thanks Tesco
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2019, 11:48:03 AM »
And why not, pray? Just because some supermarket jobsworth advises against it? Show your independence!
Mike  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

richmond62

« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2019, 02:25:20 PM »
Sneak a couple of peanuts into the bag and then go back and make a loud noise about
how there are things in there that are not walnuts.

Diasi

« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2019, 09:09:22 PM »
It's rather like McDonalds who didn't think it was necessary to warn customers that hot coffee was hot.

Until a customer sued them for not being warned that hot coffee was hot.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Cassandra

« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2019, 10:45:44 PM »

I always remember a Winniebago (US motorised Caravan) owner successfully suing the firm (massive out of court settlement) for setting his cruise control and then going in the back of the van to make a cup of coffee. He survived the resulting crash but 'Winniebago' were advised they had failed to endow their user manual with a warning that you had to be present to steer the thing after engaging!
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2019, 02:29:58 AM »
I always remember a Winniebago (US motorised Caravan) owner successfully suing the firm (massive out of court settlement) for setting his cruise control and then going in the back of the van to make a cup of coffee. He survived the resulting crash but 'Winniebago' were advised they had failed to endow their user manual with a warning that you had to be present to steer the thing after engaging!
Is that true,the ? I heard about it years ago, but had assumed it to be an urban myth
Mike

Cassandra

« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2019, 11:58:47 AM »
Is that true,the ? I heard about it years ago, but had assumed it to be an urban myth
Mike

It was essentially true Mike amazingly, a long time back too. One of my great uncles in the States showed me a local newspaper cutting when I visited him back in the 70's. If I recall the time elapse exaggeration suggested that the driver was on a crowded freeway at 60+ mph and deserted the wheel to attend to domestic duties etc. Apparently he went to the rear to get his cup of coffee that he'd left in the kitchen compartment, believing the momentum etc would retain the vehicles course whilst he was away!  If I recall he was on a long straight road with no traffic within miles at 5.30am on a clear summers day in mid Michigan. An incredulous Highway Patrol parked on an elevated observation point saw a driverless Winnie pass him, so he set off in pursuit as it slowly decelerated, finally coming to rest on the hard shoulder, resting against a litter bin.

Interviewed at a Police station, where he passed a breathalyser test  The non driver blamed these events upon the 'cruise controls' failure to operate properly.

That would have been that, but a sharp lawyer defending him on a 'careless' driving charge thought it worth a try on with Winniebago and they paid up rather than 'run' the case. It was a low level settlement apparently.

He was still convicted and fined by the State though. I'd like to say 'Only in America' but in these days of dumb down who knows?

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2019, 12:15:27 PM »
Good Lord!
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2019, 01:06:34 PM »
It was essentially true Mike amazingly, a long time back too. One of my great uncles in the States showed me a local newspaper cutting when I visited him back in the 70's. If I recall the time elapse exaggeration suggested that the driver was on a crowded freeway at 60+ mph and deserted the wheel to attend to domestic duties etc. Apparently he went to the rear to get his cup of coffee that he'd left in the kitchen compartment, believing the momentum etc would retain the vehicles course whilst he was away!  If I recall he was on a long straight road with no traffic within miles at 5.30am on a clear summers day in mid Michigan. An incredulous Highway Patrol parked on an elevated observation point saw a driverless Winnie pass him, so he set off in pursuit as it slowly decelerated, finally coming to rest on the hard shoulder, resting against a litter bin.

Interviewed at a Police station, where he passed a breathalyser test  The non driver blamed these events upon the 'cruise controls' failure to operate properly.

That would have been that, but a sharp lawyer defending him on a 'careless' driving charge thought it worth a try on with Winniebago and they paid up rather than 'run' the case. It was a low level settlement apparently.

He was still convicted and fined by the State though. I'd like to say 'Only in America' but in these days of dumb down who knows?

Apparently when cruise control was first put into cars in the 1960's USA, some dumb-asses (to use the US vernacular) thought the system was the same as an aircraft auto-pilot.

Sat navs now have the UK dumb-asses using them.

"Take the next left at the railway level crossing.".

"At Beachy Head, carry straight on.".

Truck drivers have their own sat navs, as do double-decker bus drivers.

"Take the next left at the road marked unsuitable for HGVs.".

"Carry straight on towards the bridge marked 'Low Headroom'.".
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2019, 01:21:45 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Mike

richmond62

« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2019, 07:39:43 PM »
Sat Nav, in Bavaria, set to the "quickest route between Meersburg and Munich" took us right through the middle of a pig farm,
and, needless-to-say, a fairly cheesed-off pig farmer: between my idea of Dutch (don't have any German) and his idea of German
(Bayerische what-dye-call-it) we ended up having supper with him and probably took the longest-lasting trip to Munich from Meersburg ever.

Cassandra

« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2019, 07:57:09 PM »
Sat Nav, in Bavaria, set to the "quickest route between Meersburg and Munich" took us right through the middle of a pig farm,
and, needless-to-say, a fairly cheesed-off pig farmer: between my idea of Dutch (don't have any German) and his idea of German
(Bayerische what-dye-call-it) we ended up having supper with him and probably took the longest-lasting trip to Munich from Meersburg ever.

Quite an experience to tolerate at the time I can imagine and now bitter sweet to recall!

biglouis

« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2019, 02:53:58 PM »
I once had a rather foolish Ebay customer who purchased a genuine antique tortoise shell bracelet. She wore it in the hot shower and then complained that all the polish had worn off and wanted to return it. I pointed out that I did not accept returns on items that had arrived safely and subsequently been damaged by customers.

"But your description did not say I couldnt wear it in the shower"

"Antiques don't generally come with a user manual"

Which only goes to show that you dont need intelligence to buy on Ebay, just an internet connection.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Raven

« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2019, 03:02:26 PM »
A lot of Ebay Sellers are driving me nuts just now. I very seldom buy from overseas and always tick the box for UK only. Last week I wanted a new paddle brush and found a beauty in Liverpool. The delivery time was far too long to be from Liverpool, so I checked the seller and guess what.... They were in Asia, it's time Ebay tightened up on this type of cheating. It used to be a great place to shop but now it's flooded with cheap muck from the East all in the wrong sizes for the UK and it's causing a lot of resentment. >:(

biglouis

« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2019, 05:25:31 PM »
The same thing can happen on Amazon, so I always check where the item is coming from. Shipping address is something you really have to watch with internet sales and purchases.

I buy a lot of stuff from the USA - particularly collections - then flip it around or split it to sell on classier sites. Ebay has started hitting buyers with a state sales tax and as my US shipping address was in California I kept getting charged even though its individual destination was the UK. So I have now changed my US shipping address to Oregon where there have no sales tax.

I also have a shipping address in Vienna for after Brexit.

It seems that greedy corrupt politicos are constantly finding new ways to fleece the public while themselves wallowing in a luxurious lifestyle.

One way of coaxing buyers away from Ebay to buy from me privately is the promise of no sales tax.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.