Author Topic: cold meats on boxing day.  (Read 373 times)

Alfred

cold meats on boxing day.
« on: Nov 25, 2019, 08:05:52 AM »
I'm not sure what it is, but most people iv spoken to seem to agree that for some un explained reason, the boxing day dinner  is better than the Christmas day dinner, as using up all the cold meats together with what ever vegetables were left over combined with pickles, onions chutney or what ever makes boxing day a treat to look forward too,

my family also like both days but the day after Christmas is some thing we really look forward too, finishing off the left overs from the day before,

Q; do you have preferences regarding Christmas day or boxing day,

Raven

Re: cold meats on boxing day.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2019, 12:04:11 PM »
We always have a big roast of beef on Christmas day, but it's cooked on the day before and left in the fridge over night. I find the cold meat cuts so much better than trying to faff about with a roast just out the oven. It's too blooming hot and doesn't cut right, everything else for the meal is cooked on the day though.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2019, 01:01:16 PM »
One thing that Veronica and I always disagreed about - the turkey comes out of the oven, looking and smelling delicious, but Veronica insisted it had to 'rest' before it could be carved. Well, a few minutes I could live with but by the time Veronica deemed it ready for carving the meat on the plate was half cold!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

mick607

« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2019, 03:04:18 PM »
Having been murdered then butchered then roasted in a hot oven no wonder that poor turkey needed a rest Mike  !Veronica was quite right !

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2019, 05:08:54 PM »
Having been murdered then butchered then roasted in a hot oven no wonder that poor turkey needed a rest Mike  !Veronica was quite right !
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Ode Iron

« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2019, 07:42:31 PM »
I fetch it out the oven..for the last hour i cook it without foil..and let the bacon crisp up the skin...i tap it to check..whilst i am drinking more( joke.) I wrap the bird in fresh foil and then a large teatowel...to hold in heat.
Hot plates and piping gravy help in case of faffing or delays.
Masks are muzzles

mick607

« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2019, 08:01:30 PM »
I fetch it out the oven..for the last hour i cook it without foil..and let the bacon crisp up the skin...i tap it to check..whilst i am drinking more( joke.) I wrap the bird in fresh foil and then a large teatowel...to hold in heat.
Hot plates and piping gravy help in case of faffing or delays.
Give over you making me hungry with all this talk of Christmas snap !

richmond62

« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2019, 08:12:19 PM »
Well, since our older son turned vegetarian (via an abberrational 6 months as  a nutritionally unsustainable Vegan) we'll
have no cold meat either on Christmas Day or Boxing day.

This is relatively easy as, traditionally, Bulgarians have their celebratory meal on Christmas Eve aid it is vegetarian.

However, once our boy has heigh-ho-ed back to Germany we'll make up for our loss by having some warm meat on New Year's Eve:
probably 'Bahure', the Bulgarian equivalent to haggis.

Our difficulty is that our family is half-Christian and Half-Hindu, so what with Christmas and Pancha Ganapati
everything gets so confusing nothing matters as long as we are all together, well fed and well lubricated.  :)