Author Topic: not for me,?  (Read 861 times)

Alfred

not for me,?
« on: Nov 25, 2019, 08:20:10 PM »
In the past I used to see many people buying sea food off a stall out side many pubs and on a Saturday night having had a few drinks inside them I saw people eating whelks,

another time I  saw my mother eating crab claws that is picking out the meat in the claws and many people had done  like wise,

on another occasion when in a butchers shop I saw people buying pigs trotters, I remember my mother on rare occasions doing like wise ,
whether it was what many people did in those times when money was short ,

although its amazing even today with what people braver then I will eat, and enjoy the food as well,

Q; so what do you remember of those times , and will you share you thoughts with us,

richmond62

Re: not for me,?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2019, 08:24:26 PM »
Well, on a regular basis, over here in Bulgaria, my wife and I go out to the pub to eat either pigs' ears, tripe soup or pigs' feet.
And jolly good they are too.

If we do retire to Scotland, given the price of "choice cuts" I suspect we will live on those things as well as kidneys
(which, for some reason, are hard to get round these parts). They should keep us in fine fettle.  :)

Raven

« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2019, 09:00:14 PM »
I only eat plain food that I know I will not upset my tummy with, if I start getting adventurous I suffer for it. I don't like sea food anyway so that takes care of that.

richmond62

« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2019, 09:04:49 PM »
My tummy has been upset for the last 35 years, so I have given up caring and just eat what I like.

I know this is some odd genetic condition as my father had an upset tum from about 1954 until he died last year.

prestbury

« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2019, 11:35:18 PM »
Must admit I will try most foods, even vegetarian although being a meat eater the veg option has to be particularly good.

I have a taste for most forms of sea food although as much as I love Mussels I draw the line at any Welsh ones (dredged up in the Menai Straits) since finding baby crabs inside a few of them.
Love black pudding, heart especially beef, lambs hearts are a tad greasy, liver and onions and various other pieces of offal although I do not like tripe. Have a great love of Chinese and Indian food, along with many other cuisines.

Butterpuff

« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2019, 11:39:05 PM »
I must admit, I'm not very adventurous when it comes to trying different food, I couldn't eat pigs trotters or jellied eels...my mother used to make tripe, my dad and brother loved it , but the smell was enough to put me off. give me a pot of tatty soup and a crusty loaf and I'm in heaven

Floydian

« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2019, 11:59:05 PM »
When we first got married i remember my wife asking what I'd like for tea one day. I told her i hadn't had a savoury duck for ages and would like to have one. She laughed at me and said there was no such thing and i was taking the mick. I told her if she didn't believe me then go ask the local butcher on the parade.
She did exactly that, and he confirmed such a thing existed, he hadn't been asked for them for years but would prepare her some for the next day (for anyone who doesn't know, they're like meatballs, usually made from minced off cuts of pork and various ofal, then mixed with breadcrumbs and herbs). Sure enough, the "ducks" were ready next day and we ate them. The next time we went shopping on the parade the butcher beckoned us into his shop and told us he'd sold the rest of the trayful he'd prepared within an hour!
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

zoony

« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2019, 12:08:54 AM »
When I was first married, my wife, who was preparing a meal, casually asked me if I preferred chips or mash. I said chips. Big mistake. I quite like mash, baked potatoes, fried-sliced..I like potatoes full stop but I always got chips 'cos I 'preferred them'. I'd not the heart to tell her the truth so ate chips..a lot.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Traveller

« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2019, 07:52:10 AM »
With a few notable exceptions, I'll eat most things.  Savoury Ducks - I used to love them, but I haven't seen one for many years.  I don't eat so much beef these days, mainly because we have so much pork and lamb / mutton.   I plan to cook mutton chops with couscous and roast veges this evening.

I do eat quite a lot of seafood and being close to some fishing ports, we can buy it nice and fresh.  I love mussels, but I think the best ones are from Belgium and the Netherlands.  Recently I've been able to get octopus from Morrisons - fantastic when prepared properly.
You'll have had your tea.