Author Topic: pension credits  (Read 490 times)

Sherman

pension credits
« on: Nov 27, 2019, 05:10:55 PM »
Hi, I am new to this website just having logged in three minuets ago,
My dear old mother in law of 96 years has just passed away.  Guess what apparently in October 2003 she was issued with pension credits.  Two days before her funeral I get a letter as her executor that the DWP want 14,000plus as it appears she should not have received it .
She would have been 80 years old when it was given and would not have given it any thought apart from thankyou.  They let her collect it for eleven and a half years with no problem another five months and it would have come under the limitation act 1980.  My question is has anybody else had the problem as the estate comes nowhere near this figure andshe cannot be the only pensioner in the UK  that has been caught in this predicament due to the incompetence
of the DWP.  Any answers

Raven

Re: pension credits
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2019, 05:17:31 PM »
Blimey what a Scunner of a thing to happen. All I can suggest is you go to see the Citizens Advice as you will need proper help to deal with the DWP. They don't admit mistakes and know every trick in the book.

GrannyMac

« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2019, 05:21:11 PM »
I agree with Raven. CAB for advice.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

zoony

« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2019, 05:42:52 PM »
Hello Sherman welcome to PF. There are many wise heads on here who will help if possible but like the others, I'd go straight to the CAB. Good luck with it.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Sherman

« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2019, 06:03:37 PM »
Thanks for the replys so far. 1 visitted CAB and ok but not to helpful at the moment Just wriiten back toDWP and expect a Looooooong Battle as two of the recipients  are OAPs and the youngest is on benefits anyway due to health problems.

mick607

« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2019, 08:27:08 PM »
My dear old mother in law of 96 years has just passed away.  Guess what apparently in October 2003 she was issued with pension credits.  Two days before her funeral I get a letter as her executor that the DWP want 14,000plus as it appears she should not have received it .
She would have been 80 years old when it was given and would not have given it any thought apart from thankyou.  They let her collect it for eleven and a half years with no problem another five months and it would have come under the limitation act 1980.  My question is has anybody else had the problem as the estate comes nowhere near this figure andshe cannot be the only pensioner in the UK  that has been caught in this predicament due to the incompetence
of the DWP.  Any answers
When you mention a figure of that magnitude I would consult a solicitor post haste.
Most solicitors offer a free thirty minute initial session.Get proper legal advice.

Diasi

« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2019, 06:19:37 AM »
of the DWP.  Any answers

The DWP can claim a repayment from her estate but only up to the limit of the value of her estate.

The DWP pay Pension Credit based on what information they have been given so your mother-in-law (or someone acting on her behalf) must have given false / incorrect information to the DWP when the Pension Credit was awarded.

The named recipients (& their personal circumstances) in her will are an irrelevance.

https://www.curtisparkinson.com/2017/11/dwp-recover-money-persons-estate/
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)