Author Topic: are the top C.E.O in companies.paid too much, ?  (Read 725 times)

Alfred

are the top C.E.O in companies.paid too much, ?
« on: Nov 27, 2019, 07:13:42 PM »
From time to time when some companies have lost or not made profits the top person of that company either ends up getting a massive pay off for miss, or bad management, or alternatively retains his/her position and get a Hugh salary increase instead,

so I wonder if where share holders are involved do they either lose out as shares drop,

in the past many so called C.E.O,s where as in the past salary increases were paid on results not failures.
of course it all depends on what's written into  the small print when it comes to contracts ,

for the average worker much lower down the pay scales poor results usually end up in having to look for another job,

Q; do you have any views regarding people getting paid too much for poor results, if so what should or could be done about it ,rather than pay more money to a person who had made more money for their company instead,.

RocoinSurrey

Re: are the top C.E.O in companies.paid too much, ?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2019, 07:48:16 PM »
 CEO = Captain of the Ship , if they get it wrong they go down with the Ship , hence they are wise enough to to accept a contract that will keep them afloat  for a while after the calamity, Personally  don’t see a problem with that , 

A wolf without a Forrest, is just a  dog on a Leash.

xetog

« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2019, 09:02:39 PM »
But they don't go down with the ship.  They get a stonking golden goodbye and move on somewhere else.  I am in favour of non-owner CEO's getting a fixed multiple of the basic workers salary with perhaps a bonus if they do well, ignominy if they don't.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2019, 10:31:00 PM »
But they don't go down with the ship.  They get a stonking golden goodbye and move on somewhere else.  I am in favour of non-owner CEO's getting a fixed multiple of the basic workers salary with perhaps a bonus if they do well, ignominy if they don't.

Mike.X
Seems fair to me
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

sparky

« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2019, 07:55:53 AM »
Its not only company CEOs,,,, heads of government departments and services, that are put in place by politicians    cronies, and paid way above their worth.

richmond62

« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2019, 08:50:24 AM »
Private companies and government are 2 quite different beasts.

Government is a state institution and as such can be regulated.

Private companies are private and the state should get "its mucky nose" out of
them: there is far too much state interference: let the market bear what the market can bear.

xetog

« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2019, 09:30:12 AM »
The more the top brass get the less workers take home.  The two should be related.

Mike.X

richmond62

« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2019, 10:17:12 AM »
"The two should be related."

Why?

It is really none of anyone's business how a person runs their company:
all those snoopers, do-gooders and fellow-travellers would be far better
to bog off elsewhere and do something constructive.

If the workers don't like the way a company is run they can resign and find work elsewhere.

Oh, and why is every one so obsessed with that highly abstract word 'rights', even to
the extent of believing they exist outwith people's heads?

If I own a company (and I do) I own it and run it NOT because I am oozing
with disinterested love of the "common man", I'm running it because I want to
make a lot of money for me.

Having said that, my single employee in my language school gets paid 3 times what other people
get paid in similar positions out in these parts: BUT that is because she does a lot of very useful and
clever stuff I've never asked or expected her to do.

If she joins a trade union she's out.

HOWEVER that is my decision and my decision alone.
As soon as someone tells me how to run my company
or attempts to regulate me I'll close my company down
licketty-split.

xetog

« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2019, 10:26:28 AM »
I was talking about people who are simply directors of mainly large institutions.  Those who set up and run their own businesses are entitled to take what they want (after paying a sensible wage to their employees).  They are the real lifeblood of business in the UK, but exorbitant  salaries in £millions to parachuted-in execs are obscene.

Mike.X

richmond62

« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2019, 10:31:15 AM »
"a sensible wage"

Well, that makes more sense, and is something that employers and employees should be able to work
out together in a civilised fashion, without other bodies sticking their oars in.

sparky

« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2019, 01:11:34 PM »

employers and employees should be able to work

out together in a civilised fashion,

Yeah  "should "being the operative word, how many, particularly big companies have a CEO, that would say our staff have worked particularly hard, so  our executives will forgo our bonuses this  year in order to raise the wages of the workers, most want to get the most out of their workers , while paying as little they can get away with.