Author Topic: Veganism - A Step to Far  (Read 738 times)

StephenM123

Veganism - A Step to Far
« on: Nov 28, 2019, 10:31:18 AM »
A nursery school is imposing a vegan diet on its children :

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/vegan-nursery-menu-children-health-meat-free-chester-a9219851.html

This does seem a step to far but then maybe better than carp chicken nuggets. Maybe OK if their parents let them have good quality meat, fish and dairy?

richmond62

Re: Veganism - A Step to Far
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2019, 10:38:03 AM »
A friend of mine who is a medical doctor said, when I was bemoaning the fact that one
of my son had become a vegan, "Vegetarianism is alright, but veganism is a cult."

He explained that, dietetically we are "put together" (this is so we don't end up
with someone round these parts getting all prickly and creationist when I use the
word 'evolved') in such a way as to require animal components in our diet.

A vegetarian diet, via milk products (and, optionally, eggs) supplies us
with those necessary animal components.

Vegans end up having take dietary supplement pills to cope with
the fact (! FACT !) that a vegan diet does NOT supply all the dietary requirements
of a human being.

Personally I'm an omnivore.

I am sick and tired of all the "bogey Yogis" who make daft
pronouncements about the benefits of the vegan diet: but then
I am sick and tired of all the crap about alternative medicine
and Ayurveda.

Sheila

« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2019, 11:25:36 AM »
There's a film called Gamechangers, directed by Arnold Schwartzneger (don't know how to spell that!).  One of my daughters is almost vegetarian but the other daughter recommended the film to me.  Her partner has high cholesterol, blood pressure etc. so she is looking into diet.

The thing that struck me was when they tested the blood of men after a meat meal and compared it with the blood after a vegetarian meal. 

There were other benefits which may appeal to diasi!

We decided to give it a go and have not had meat for three days.  It is a bit difficult and we ended up buying a 'burger' made from sweet potato, pumpkin and soy.  It was awful so I think we are back to meat today.  We are cutting down on meat though.

richmond62

« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2019, 11:40:17 AM »
Far too many people eat far too much meat.

As a heart attack survivor (sporting 5 stents in my lower cardiac artery) am a bit obsessed with cholesterol
(err . . . I wonder why?), so my wife and I eat meat about once a week and fish the same: and most of the
rest of the time either vegetarian or vegan (and don't bother about the distinction).

It does take a bit of effort to start veggie cooking: but after a while one can whip up some lovely stuff.  :)

Sheila

« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2019, 11:43:43 AM »
If enough of us are interested, how about sharing a few vegetarian ideas for meals?  We had a very tasty tarts pasta (Delia) although that does have some anchovies in it.  At the pub, we had beanburgers which were ok.

richmond62

« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2019, 11:59:35 AM »
Well, here's what I cooked us for supper yesterday:

1. Rice.

First I fried some cumin seed in just enough oil to cover my flat-bottomed wok's bottom (err, sorry about that),
then chucked in a cup of basmati rice and jiggled it around with a wooden spoon until it went from the 'normal' rice
colour to solid white (meanwhile boiling the kettle).
Then I poured the water over the rice and as soon as it came to the boil turned it down to a simmer.

Once the rice had boiled dry I turned off the gas and covered the wok with a lid to sit until I'd finished the vegetable.

2. Vegetable 'muck.'

I started (in my second wok) a bit of oil with 4 cloves of garlic, a couple of shallots and a green chilli pepper on a low heat.
(remember to remove the seeds from the chilli pepper if you don't go in for "master blasters")
Then I sliced up 2 courgettes and an aubergine and bunged those in.
I sliced up about a third of a pineapple into dice-sized bits and threw that in as well.
As I was stirring I added about a tablespoon of soy sauce.
Then I covered everything with boiling water and left it to simmer.

3. Salad.

A cucumber, 2 tomatoes, grated red cabbage and cubed smoked tofu.
A dressing of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

4. Wine.

Lovely red plonk from round the corner.

*Often I bung some frozen prawns in as well.

richmond62

« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2019, 12:02:29 PM »
In my opinion imposing a vegan diet on children constitutes abuse.

That does not only refer to school: parents who do that are risking
that their children don't get enough nutrients to develop properly.

eegrek

« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2019, 12:12:30 PM »
My theory and philosophy is as follows. All young people in the growing up should have as much protein as possible. All types of meat and Fish as well as a normal diet of fruit and vegetables. As our metabolism begins to change due to ageing( about middle age) and other factors there should be a gradual decrease in Meat intake (animal meat being replaced by poultry). By about the age of 50 and above all meat and processed food should be replaced by fresh Fruit and Vegetables and fresh fish. Clearly this is not available for everyone but I do believe this is an aim for all. I have no scientific evidence for this programme but I do believe this is related to our ability to process DNA in our diet.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2019, 12:21:18 PM »
In my opinion imposing a vegan diet on children constitutes abuse.

That does not only refer to school: parents who do that are risking
that their children don't get enough nutrients to develop properly.
This is a disgrace - the vegan diet is NOT suitable for growing children - two recent cases of children being rescued from vegan parents - in one case the doctors said that the child was near death when rescued, in the other seriously malnourished - that school should be convicted of corporate  child abuse.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Butterpuff

« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2019, 01:11:13 PM »
what right does any school have to force any type of diet on a child. I'm not a vegitarian ,,but I do like some veggie meals, don't eat much red meat , mostly chicken fish or salads, I think the parents should take this further, or remove their child from this particular school

Raven

« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2019, 02:55:19 PM »
I think I'd be complaining loudly if my children were at that Nursery. They need meat in their diet, not every day but certainly several times a week while they are growing.

Sheila

« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2019, 03:04:07 PM »
Well, here's what I cooked us for supper yesterday:

1. Rice.

First I fried some cumin seed in just enough oil to cover my flat-bottomed wok's bottom (err, sorry about that),
then chucked in a cup of basmati rice and jiggled it around with a wooden spoon until it went from the 'normal' rice
colour to solid white (meanwhile boiling the kettle).
Then I poured the water over the rice and as soon as it came to the boil turned it down to a simmer.

Once the rice had boiled dry I turned off the gas and covered the wok with a lid to sit until I'd finished the vegetable.

2. Vegetable 'muck.'

I started (in my second wok) a bit of oil with 4 cloves of garlic, a couple of shallots and a green chilli pepper on a low heat.
(remember to remove the seeds from the chilli pepper if you don't go in for "master blasters")
Then I sliced up 2 courgettes and an aubergine and bunged those in.
I sliced up about a third of a pineapple into dice-sized bits and threw that in as well.
As I was stirring I added about a tablespoon of soy sauce.
Then I covered everything with boiling water and left it to simmer.

3. Salad.

A cucumber, 2 tomatoes, grated red cabbage and cubed smoked tofu.
A dressing of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

4. Wine.

Lovely red plonk from round the corner.

*Often I bung some frozen prawns in as well.

Thanks Richmond, I'll give something like that ago.  I like the idea of the pineapple in with the veg.  I make a mushroom risotto occasionally so that could be another idea.

richmond62

« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2019, 06:27:03 PM »
Unfortunately I don't like mushrooms.