Author Topic: London Attack  (Read 13271 times)

richmond62

Re: London Attack
« Reply #105 on: Dec 01, 2019, 06:56:24 PM »
"And why do our own people needing help have to be 'lazy toads?'."

There are people who need help: the 'halt and the lame.'

But not the people who shirk work.

Ashy

« Reply #106 on: Dec 01, 2019, 07:04:04 PM »
"I wonder how many people on this Forum have seen their home town turn from  a nice place to a town that's unrecognizable as even England."

I have. I went back there a few years ago and the library I used to use is now a mosque. In the town I live in most of the shop signs are foreign in one language or another, it's a combination of Warsaw and Islamabad. OK all these people have inflated the economy but they make us all poorer.

richmond62

« Reply #107 on: Dec 01, 2019, 08:31:21 PM »
My home town (which is a horrible American term) is hard to place;

It's either Lossiemouth (where I was born), St. Andrews (where I own a house) or Plovdiv, Bulgaria.

The funny thing is that none of them have ever seemed recognisable as England.  ;D

St. Andrews has never been completely Scots, full as it is with Asian students, American Gowfers and English academics.

Lossiemouth is full of Scots, English and Welsh servicemen.

Plovdiv, oddly enough, now sports 500 English students at the Medical University; of whom
only 1 has ethnically English parents.

[This is NOT an impressionistic thing; the boss of the Medical University told me that
when my wife and I had supper with him and his wife a few months ago.]

My pupils at my language school are always asking how I
can be from Britain when my skins is not brown!

Diasi

« Reply #108 on: Dec 01, 2019, 10:04:28 PM »

My pupils at my language school are always asking how I
can be from Britain when my skins is not brown!

They ask a very reasonable question because if they watch the UK news involving a UK school, 90% of the featured pupils are ethnically African or Asian.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

GrannyMac

« Reply #109 on: Dec 01, 2019, 10:08:53 PM »
Why arnt British people given a second chance and support to go live on the Isle of Bute?

Perhaps they don't wish to move. In the 90s I remember Kirklees offering council homes to Londoners.  I don't know what the take up was. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/londons-homeless-offered-council-flats-for-pound35-a-week-in-yorkshire-738173.html

There are a couple of hundred properties up for rent here from social landlords. Even a couple on Bute.  https://www.homehunt.co.uk/search-results
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Hugh

« Reply #110 on: Dec 02, 2019, 07:29:17 AM »
In Leicester many years ago we use to play spot the white man ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jacqueline

« Reply #111 on: Dec 02, 2019, 10:04:06 AM »
Hugh, we're I used to live you'd be sitting there a long time before you did.

Diasi

« Reply #112 on: Dec 02, 2019, 03:01:32 PM »
Hugh, we're I used to live you'd be sitting there a long time before you did.

If it wasn't for the £5 sign on the stall, I'd have thought it was a street in Karachi.

https://dailym.ai/2r56x45
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Audrine

« Reply #113 on: Dec 02, 2019, 10:40:20 PM »
Such a shame. Harrow, middx. where I grew up, is the same, unrecognisable. The lovely houses with their manicured gardens back & front are now scruffy dwellings with more than two or three families in them. Completely ruining the neighbourhood.Audrine

Jacqueline

« Reply #114 on: Dec 02, 2019, 11:06:41 PM »
Audrine,

Harrow area  is where I grew up and what I refer to. I was born in Rayners Lane and lived in Wealdstone when I married.  Place is unrecognizable now.  Even Harrow on the Hill where the public school is hasn't escaped.

Harrow was once filled with lovely shops (do you remember Sopers which became Debenhams?).  Bowler hatted city workers lived in the area, as you said with nice neat houses.  You would never believe it is the same place as we knew.

Audrine

« Reply #115 on: Dec 03, 2019, 12:30:51 AM »
Hello Jacqueline. How nice to hear you are from my neck of the woods. I worked in Raynors Lane every Saturday at Boots the chemist. I rode my bike until I kept getting late for work so took the bus from North Harrow.
Yes, I remember Sopers which turned into Debenhams. Never quite the same was it?
Unfortunately,so much has changed lovely homes, nice shopping centers all gone.
Well dear friend I will post more tomorrow. Cheers to you & family Audrine 

Alex22

« Reply #116 on: Dec 03, 2019, 02:23:05 PM »
Jacqueline & Audrine, it really is a small world isn't it  ?   ;D

Audrine

« Reply #117 on: Dec 03, 2019, 02:29:37 PM »
Yes,it is a small world & especially since we appear to have the same
 interests. cheers everyone Audrine

Jacqueline

« Reply #118 on: Dec 03, 2019, 05:27:38 PM »
Audrine,

Don't wish to hog the board, but had to tell you. I lived on the other side of the street to Boots chemist.  We lived in a flat above a butcher's shop next door to Bunces the newsagents, on the other side of us was the shoe repair man.  My aunt Sylvia was manageress of Dorothy Perkins not far from Boots.  What years did you work there?

The beautiful old art deco cinema is now a Zoroastian religious centre.  A couple of black kid shot each other outside there not long ago.  That's what modern Rayners Lane is like these days.

My parents moved from Rayners Lane to Mill Hill in 1966, didn't like it there much.  In 1970 when I married we moved to Wealdstone.

Audrine

« Reply #119 on: Dec 03, 2019, 09:24:02 PM »
I worked for about a year & a half at Boots. it was in the early fifties, 1954.

Always enjoyed it & the pocket money. I remember I used to leave my bike near the entrance with never a thought of someone stealing it or complaints from the manager & customers. Those were the good old days. The people who worked there were older than me & very good to me who was just a young kid. I wonder if Boots is still there?

Shame about that cinema, I went there several times after work if there was a film I fancied.
I don't know a lot about Wealdstone except a girl who lived a couple of doors down went to school there, Whitefriers I think it was called..  
Gosh! I am getting quite homesick talking about home. So long ago & so many memories. Cheers Audrine