Author Topic: children can get impressed,  (Read 712 times)

Alfred

children can get impressed,
« on: Dec 01, 2019, 10:51:04 AM »
My Wife as a young girl idolized her father , although her sister was like wise with her mother, how ever my wife reminds me of a time when as a little girl her father would sing to her the song ( the little boy that Santa clause forgot.) then once sang she would burst into tears, as then the imagination kicked in as the song went on,

evidently he sang this to her from time to time,  so I assume she like many of us as children could easily be impressed by say  a song. story or anything else ,and even today she said he was wicked as he sang this many times to her as a child,  he wasn't nasty but seemed to get a kick out of seeing her cry ,, …….wicked I some times wonder or was it devilment instead,

I had two uncles and they impressed me when I was a child with their
war time adventures, in reality they both told whopping stories and I was impressed by them thinking they were very brave ,  stories then of ships, which they served on,  I really believed them but  in later years I found them out to be virtually the opposite , as all they were trying to do was to impress me ,

they were both recruited to a  merchant ship in a near by docks being then, just of the right age, during the 2nd world war , how ever the true story was they jumped ship time and time again,as the police were always calling to arrest them and take them back to the ship,.....so much for being impressed,

Q; were you ever impressed by some ones story when you were a small child and if so what do you remember of those times,

richmond62

Re: children can get impressed,
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2019, 12:43:07 PM »
My grandfather, Dr Richmond McIntosh was my hero (luckily he died when I was 13, just before I turned into a nasty, cynical teenager),
who, having lost both his parents, volunteered to fight in the Great War and went off without pay (because he was a year too young) and
returned minus one lung and one kidney, going onto study Classics and Medicine at Glasgow, ending as Dux of the University.
He went down to Addenbrooke's in Cambridge for his house-job and, inevitably, married a nurse; ending up in Sherborne, Dorset, where they stayed the rest of their lives.

My Granny use to get fed up with "the Doctor" because he used to wander round the town handing out money to anyone who looked as though they needed
it, and dragging kids without shoes into shoe shops. He didn't give a damn, he just wanted people to be reasonably happy.

Jacqueline

« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2019, 01:04:19 PM »
Richmond,

Your grandfather sounds like a wonderful man, isn't it a shame you only knew him for 13 years.

My parents had me later in life, their parents had them later in life.  I never knew either grandfather and my two grandmother's died within a year of each other when I was 13, one had dementia, they were both Victorian ladies born in the early 1880s.

The best thing both grannys  gave to me was my love of history.  Granny with dementia would tell me in detail about her childhood, although she couldn't tell me what she did yesterday.  Other granny had a hard life, lost four of seven children, one to the 1919 flu, was in service as a ladies maid.  Her home was pure victorian, I wish I had some of her furniture today, shinny brass bed, mahogany furniture, large print of "bubbles". Her house gleemed, not a speck of dust, if she saw my house she would be ashamed of me!

richmond62

« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2019, 01:25:19 PM »
I find it extremely worrying that children nowadays seem to be impressed by yobbish celebs
who have inappropriate parts of their anatomy on permanent display, have probably never read
a book (even if they can read) and so on.

If I say this too loudly I am accused of being a snob.

Well, snobbish though it may be, I do think that all those trollops of
both sexes (I suppose, nowadays we have to say "of all sexes") should NOT
be the sort of heroes that children idolise.

Butterpuff

« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2019, 02:37:31 PM »
well said Richmond..I couldn't agree more...the young ones now see these so called " celebrities" as idols...and want to copy them. when I see them on telly in their underwear....it seems to be the only way they can attract attention.

zoony

« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2019, 03:36:43 PM »
I find it extremely worrying that children nowadays seem to be impressed by yobbish celebs
who have inappropriate parts of their anatomy on permanent display, have probably never read
a book (even if they can read) and so on.

If I say this too loudly I am accused of being a snob.

Well, snobbish though it may be, I do think that all those trollops of
both sexes (I suppose, nowadays we have to say "of all sexes") should NOT
be the sort of heroes that children idolise.

I think it's possible that there'll be a backlash to the whole 'celebrity' thing when these kids have kids.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Traveller

« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2019, 06:14:11 PM »
My parents impressed me to the extent that I never wanted to be like them.  I'm pleased that I'm not.
You'll have had your tea.

richmond62

« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2019, 07:05:12 PM »
I remember when I was about 16 thinking about all the things about my father I despised.

Now my father is dead, and I am older than he was when I was 16, and as I have developed all
those things I despised about my father, I am almost a walking monument to him.

GrannyMac

« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2019, 07:40:19 AM »
My Irish granny died before I was born. I know little about her or any of my father's family, just that at 17 my father, who was privately educated and destined for university, got a job to support his mother who had separated from his father. In 1921 it probably caused a scandal.

She died before I was born, I'm an only child of older parents. I only remember being taken to that grandfather's house at about age three or four once before he died.  I believe his second wife was there. There's a story about all his money, and the will, that would take far too long.  I have a copy, and I also have a copy of the stepmother's. The animal charities must have thought it was Christmas when she died.  My father died when I was a teenager, and never talked about his family, or his war service.  I wish I'd known him better.

My other grandfather died when I was small too.  But I loved my maternal granny.  She'd had seven children, and by seventy was frail, but she always had time to listen and give a hug.  I wish I had her patience.   My mother was like her, a strong woman. After my dad died, she had to find a job, and became a housekeeper for an elderly solicitor and his wife.  She was also a champion bowler!  My children have great memories of their gran.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais