Author Topic: I agree with the police here.  (Read 833 times)

brian54

I agree with the police here.
« on: Dec 02, 2019, 06:57:54 AM »
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/outrage-after-victim-blaming-christmas-tree-by-suffolk-police-is-spotted-in-church/ar-BBXAZN6?li=AAnZ9Ug

I would not like my daughters doing this.
I and a male friend found a young lady on the pavement a while ago. We had to call for an ambulance as we were on our own and did not want to be accused of doing anything to her.
Along with the danger to the lady it wasted the resources of the ambuiance service service on a very busy night. Oddly as it was a Friday night I asked if they had been dealing with lots of drunks and they said they said there had been an extremely high number of calls to genuine incidents. Of course this would wasted the time of the hospitals as well.

Also I also saw 2 young men walking a drunk lady in to A & E a few years ago. They did not know her name or anything about her but I think she was lucky 2 responsible young men had dealt with her. They found an empty vodka bottle by her but could not guarantee that was what she had been drinking.

Michael Rolls

Re: I agree with the police here.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2019, 07:30:18 AM »
There are idiots in this world, there are bloody idiots in this world, and then there are the clowns highlighted in this article
Brian - totally agree with you - and with the police.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2019, 07:34:44 AM »
 A long time ago as I turned into Guildford High Street, a turn which represents a blind corner, there was a young woman sitting in the gutter with her legs stretched out into the road - at grave risk had somebody cut that corner closer than I had and faster than I had. Couldn't stop immediately - it would have made a serious traffic hazard, but fortunately less than a hundred yards up the road were two police officers, one male, one female and I alerted them to the problem
Mike (you can tell it was a long time ago - there were actually police on foot patrol)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2019, 07:37:49 AM »
Oh dear, I see the police have apologised and are taking the messages down - what a stupid, gutless reaction - now I DON'T agree with them.
Mike

GrannyMac

« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2019, 07:59:13 AM »
Me neither Mike. Those messages make sense to anyone, not just women.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2019, 08:04:02 AM »
That's right - I am very disappointed at the police reaction, but not surprised at the whines about 'victim blaming' - it's nothing of the sort - just common sense. However, this reaction seems to have become common place
Mike

Jacqueline

« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2019, 09:53:33 AM »
This is the sensible advice any good mother would give her daughter, what's wrong with it for goodness sake?

Better to be warned than sorry afterwards.

Ashy

« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2019, 12:35:07 PM »
The police advice was in the nature of don't get too drunk, don't walk about in dodgy areas, keep your wits about you, etc. Then they find one of these rentangobs to claim this is either bad advice or the police are wrong to offer it. For pity's sake, it's advice, you don't have to take it. Of course, if you don't, then you may find out why they offered it in the first place.

Butterpuff

« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2019, 12:49:47 PM »
that's all good advice...but then there's always someone who comes up with...women should be able to go where they want drink what they want and so on ...we all know that's how it should be. but unfortunately it's not   there will always be someone who wants to do you harm. so this is perfectly sensible advice, too bad some dogooders don't see it as that.

Diasi

« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2019, 02:41:03 PM »
Meanwhile my insurance company says it won't pay out if I leave my car unlocked with the keys in the ignition, so if it gets stolen they're victim-blaming me & not the person who steals it.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2019, 02:45:05 PM »
fair point
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2019, 03:04:35 PM »
fair point
Mike

But I know my personal responsibilities & wouldn't leave my car unlocked with the keys in the ignition as I'd expect it to get stolen & I'd expect my insurance company not to pay.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2019, 06:04:41 PM »
Exactly our combined point
MIke