Author Topic: Very selfish attitude.  (Read 3662 times)

mick607

Re: Very selfish attitude.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2019, 07:34:01 PM »
Does that include all the additional benefits you claim.?

Goingtoseed

« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2019, 11:46:42 PM »
Does that include all the additional benefits you claim.?

The difference between Biglouis and myself is that I am still contributing to society in terms of tax being deducted off my pensions. I was pointing the finger at those pensioners who pay nothing in yet demand maximum return in the from of benefits/health costs etc. Those that think it's their goddamn right to take out as much as they can. Some pensioners are actually having their rent paid for them by the council!

richmond62

« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2019, 07:00:21 AM »
I pay type 2 contributions in Britain even though I live outwith Britain.

I keep running into English and Scots expats (best avoided in my experience) who
moan about the NHS "going to hell" and so forth, who then tell me I am a fool paying
contributions because:

1. They pay for current pensioner's benefits.

2. British pensions are rubbish.

#1. I was brought up with some sort of concept of social solidarity.

#2. My pension forecast is that at 67 (when I'll be pensionable if I don't drop off my twig first)
I'll get an amount that will be the equivalent of 207 quid a week now. That may not be "untold riches",
but it certainly isn't rubbish.

The NHS is going to "go to hell" much more quickly if people don't keep putting money in the pot.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2019, 11:05:32 AM »
There are those pensioners (over 65) that can't work because of serious health issues. They should be assessed by the DWP as to the extent of their inability to work and if found fit for work then they should be instructed to find a job earning enough money for them to live on or be allowed to work at least 35 hours a week doing worthy voluntary work that improves the social fabric of this country.
Likewise those that are fit but refuse to work after age 65 should have all welfare benefits removed.

The days of sitting around or playing golf after retirement and expecting the state to provide are long gone. Work is the only way that improves one's life.

Jacqueline

« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2019, 11:36:45 AM »

"There are those pensioners (over 65) that can't work because of serious health issues. They should be assessed by the DWP as to the extent of their inability to work and if found fit for work then they should be instructed to find a job earning enough money for them to live on or be allowed to work at least 35 hours a week doing worthy voluntary work that improves the social fabric of this country.
Likewise those that are fit but refuse to work after age 65 should have all welfare benefits removed.

The days of sitting around or playing golf after retirement and expecting the state to provide are long gone. Work is the only way that improves one's life."

You really can't be serious!!!

Do you subscribe to the slogan on the entrance to Aschwitz "Work will set you Free"

Work the old fogeys till they drop, A & E will be overflowing with 90 year olds with work related injuries.

mick607

« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2019, 12:30:00 PM »
"There are those pensioners (over 65) that can't work because of serious health issues. They should be assessed by the DWP as to the extent of their inability to work and if found fit for work then they should be instructed to find a job earning enough money for them to live on or be allowed to work at least 35 hours a week doing worthy voluntary work that improves the social fabric of this country.

The days of sitting around or playing golf after retirement and expecting the state to provide are long gone. Work is the only way that improves one's life."

Do you subscribe to the slogan on the entrance to Aschwitz "Work will set you Free"

Work the old fogeys till they drop, A & E will be overflowing with 90 year olds with work related injuries.
Sounds as bad as the garbage Brian spews out on a regular basis.

Cassandra

« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2019, 12:32:50 PM »

'Arbeit macht Frei' could be on another post herein as the new Lib-Dem Slogan - they love Pensioners!
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

biglouis

« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2019, 01:58:19 PM »
I am contributing to the community because I run an online business and 90% of what I sell goes abroad. So I am one of the people bringing the wealth into this country, albeit in a small way. By no means do I sit in an armchair and snooze. I also provide employment for a cleaner and a gardener so what I earn (and what they earn) goes back into the economy to purchase goods and services.

I am still contributing because I have to pay council tax which is a corrupt system that allows people with children to parasite upon those who have been unselfish enough to remain childfree. Children suck up vast resources yet their parents pay nothing extra for them. That is wrong wrong wrong.

A few days ago the local council had the timerity to send me a form to "confirm" that I was a single occupier and thus still entitled to the miserable 25% discount which single people get. Council tax is calculated on an average of 2 adults occupying a property so why do I not get 50% discount?

Because the system is entirely corrupt.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

richmond62

« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2019, 02:54:35 PM »
The thought of sitting in an armchair and snoozing post retirement gives me the dry boke.

My father started snoozing for an hour or 2 in his armchair when he hit 82: If I live
that long I'm sure I'll do just that.

But before that I hope I'll be "up and doing" as much as I reasonably can.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2019, 04:34:58 PM »

No I don't subscribe to that statement. However it is a well known fact that keeping active both in body and in mind keeps you healthy long after you retire. Many when they reach 80+ still have a full time work commitment not for the money but for their health and well being.
As I have already said, I work a minimum of a 40 hour week over 7 days at age 70 throughout the year and whilst I am disabled and have serious ill health, I still manage to keep going. The thought of doing nothing or just a little does not feature in my bubble.

I hope that I pass away in my sleep because I have had an exhaustive week.

Jacqueline

« Reply #25 on: Dec 10, 2019, 07:09:30 PM »
If you want to work until you are 100 its your right to do so.  But there is more to life than work.  When you retire you can,  finances and health providing, do all the things you would have liked to do during your working life but didn't have the time.

We bought a little camper van and have traveled the country. Go for walks, have picnics, cinema, theater, swimming, hobbies and loads more. You need to keep active not let the brain go to mush.  But retirement is great, I can say what I like, do what I like and not what my old boss told me to do.  Bugger work!

GrannyMac

« Reply #26 on: Dec 10, 2019, 07:23:59 PM »
I love retirement, and I enjoy volunteering.  A couple of shifts a week, and I know my input and effort is valued.  I enjoyed some of my working life, the big differences for me were always in managers and colleagues rather than the work itself.  I worked with some inspiring people, and some real idiots.  The ones who weren't very bright and saw every step up the management ladder simply as 'power' were the worst.    I learnt how to be a manager by not behaving like them. 

I rarely spend a whole day in the house, I meet friends, I go to the pool, the library, the occasional lecture/talk, or even just have a walk in the local park or take the tram to town.   And occasionally I look after a grandchild or two.  :D
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Ode Iron

« Reply #27 on: Dec 10, 2019, 07:26:00 PM »
Before we start giving over 65's the third degree....lets go around red light areas and round up a few in the bookies and youngsters boozing in the Monday Club...sounds like smug GTS is sorted...and i feel he bears a grudge on others who have not paid in the same as him.
I thought after WW2 the social system/ framework was set up to help all... and in particular the less fortunate and vunerable. Lets use the proposed DWP screen fund 'suggested' goes to sending terrorist scroungers and pick pocketing migrants packing.
Masks are muzzles

mick607

« Reply #28 on: Dec 10, 2019, 07:45:27 PM »
The best job I ever had is called retirement.Sod getting out of a warm bed at 3.am to go to work on a freezing cold day ever again.I don't sit on my arse all day but so what if I did ? It's all about choice.

Ode Iron

« Reply #29 on: Dec 10, 2019, 07:49:17 PM »
Well said 607...that getting up at 3:am to go jogging sounds odd an' all !
Masks are muzzles