Author Topic: Very selfish attitude.  (Read 3656 times)

em

Re: Very selfish attitude.
« Reply #30 on: Dec 10, 2019, 07:55:43 PM »
Biglouis,what does "timerity" mean?

stellamaris

« Reply #31 on: Dec 10, 2019, 09:25:56 PM »
It means the same as temerity Em with a minor spelling mistake. That word always reminds me of a mangled verse with the line "have you the temerity [or audacity] to doubt my veracity you insolent child"
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Raven

« Reply #32 on: Dec 10, 2019, 10:07:17 PM »
I work harder now than when I was employed. Helping out around the farm where I'm asked, mucking out the stables, grooming the Clyde's, preparing food for animals is quite a lot, that's over and above the swimming first thing every day and the dog training and agility classes.
That along side doing the house, and meals.

biglouis

« Reply #33 on: Dec 11, 2019, 06:12:16 PM »
I also work far harder for myself now than I did for any boss when I was employed. I never had a boss I liked and respected more than my present one.  ;D

As some posters have said, sod that for a game of soldiers, getting up to go out and stand at the bus stop on a cold morning. Although I am often up at 2-3 am chatting to my American customers or bidding on auctions. I am, by nature, a night owl and not a morning person. Its 5 steps from my bed to my upstairs office.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

richmond62

« Reply #34 on: Dec 11, 2019, 06:15:00 PM »
Yup: self-employment rocks.

"Working for the Man" stinks.

biglouis

« Reply #35 on: Dec 12, 2019, 12:35:33 AM »
Im not a team player - never have been. The problem with teams is that it is the more able and intelligent members who do the bulk of the work while there are always some who get "carried". But they share the credit.

GrannyMac

« Reply #36 on: Dec 12, 2019, 06:28:43 AM »
Yup: self-employment rocks.

"Working for the Man" stinks.

Self employment is great when it succeeds.  I've witnessed the other side, when it goes wrong there's no safety net.

Working for 'the man' only stinks when its the wrong 'man'. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

biglouis

« Reply #37 on: Dec 12, 2019, 05:40:12 PM »
If you set up a business in retirement you still have your pension/s to fall back on. I was lucky enough to be able to take retirement at 60. And I still continued to work part time on projects for the uni for some years.

I feel sorry for the people younger than I who expected to retire at X age and then got scammed because they changed the rules.

The problem I had with working for the "man" is that I never had a (male) boss who was more intelligent so how could I possibly respect them???

The nearest I got was working with a female professor. I never believed it would be possible for me to write collaboratively with another person but somehow we managed it. Probably because we each had expertise in different fields.

Diasi

« Reply #38 on: Dec 12, 2019, 06:09:33 PM »
If you set up a business in retirement you still have your pension/s to fall back on. I was lucky enough to be able to take retirement at 60. And I still continued to work part time on projects for the uni for some years.

The problem I had with working for the "man" is that I never had a (male) boss who was more intelligent so how could I possibly respect them???

What's even more annoying is when I, as a non-degree person, worked alongside a 'three degrees' member of staff who was as thick as two short planks.

And that was being unkind to short planks.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Jacqueline

« Reply #39 on: Dec 12, 2019, 06:16:03 PM »
My boss (degree) was next to useless in our quiz team.

richmond62

« Reply #40 on: Dec 12, 2019, 06:43:31 PM »
"a 'three degrees' member of staff who was as thick as two short planks."

I have 'three degrees' (for what they are worth) and, while being relatively switched on in the fields
I studied during those degree courses, can be 'fairly planky' in other areas.

It never ceases to amaze me how people who did not go to University still somehow expect people who have degrees
to be clever at all sorts of things.

My mother, at 89, did not go to University, could probably outwit a very large number of people who have
doctorates these days.

Oddly enough the thing I seem best at is Sanskrit: a language I studied on my own in a lonely farmhouse in Orkney
while I worked as a farmhand during the day.

Floydian

« Reply #41 on: Dec 12, 2019, 06:49:14 PM »
I got 'O' levels in art and science, ended up getting a job painting computers...  ;D
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

richmond62

« Reply #42 on: Dec 12, 2019, 07:04:05 PM »
"I got 'O' levels in art and science, ended up getting a job painting computers..."

Indeed: and I've got 3 degrees.

And, when push comes to shove neither your 'O' levels or my degrees matter a toss; what does matter is . . .

I hope that every one on this forum is relatively happy and contented.

mick607

« Reply #43 on: Dec 12, 2019, 07:07:38 PM »
There are far too many "Mickey Mouse" degrees about today.
I mean the likes of creative writing for instance.  ;D ;D ;D

GrannyMac

« Reply #44 on: Dec 12, 2019, 07:10:56 PM »
"
I hope that every one on this forum is relatively happy and contented.

Richmond, being contented is the key.  I find it easy now that my OH and I only have ourselves to consider, no mortgage to worry about, and our children (who could be considered middle aged themselves) are doing ok.  It must be a huge worry for pensioners who have to constantly bail out their offspring.  I count my blessings.

Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais