Author Topic: Very selfish attitude.  (Read 3660 times)

richmond62

Re: Very selfish attitude.
« Reply #45 on: Dec 12, 2019, 07:17:26 PM »
I got a BA from Durham in 1986. At that point 5% of kids who stayed in school until 18 went to University.

I got an MA from "somewhere second-rate in the USA" in 1996.

I got an MSc from the "University of Abertay" in 2004.

In 2004 the "University" of Abertay was at 103 out of 105 "universities" in Britain. Now there are about 130 something "universities.
At that point 80% of those who stayed in school until 18 got into University.
I got fed up at Abertay as the lectures consisted (as Masters degree level) of stuff I had done at High School when I was 14.

When I got my Mickey-Mouse degree I phoned my father,
and he said, "Congratulations, I suppose you'll go and get a doctorate from a telephone booth next."

He was exactly right.

I worked as a Phonetics lecturer at the University of St. Andrews and found out
that all Japanese, Korean and Chinese students who studied in the "EFL tank" for
18 months were guaranteed a place at St. Andrews if they didn't get high enough
grades as the IELTS exam to get into another British University.

This has made me extremely cynical about Universities.

prestbury

« Reply #46 on: Dec 12, 2019, 08:25:30 PM »

This has made me extremely cynical about Universities.

I worked in a top Russell Group university for 34 years prior to retirement and the educational standards became worse over the years, I am talking about professors and lecturers, god help the students. Universities need to go back to basics and concentrate on the needs of the country with more scientists and medical professionals

Diasi

« Reply #47 on: Dec 12, 2019, 08:27:23 PM »

It never ceases to amaze me how people who did not go to University still somehow expect people who have degrees
to be clever at all sorts of things.

I don't expect them to be clever at all sorts of things, in fact clever isn't in the equation.

I'm referring to bog-basic intelligence / common sense.

Being able to solve a simple problem that they haven't been taught how to solve with three years in a lecture hall.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

richmond62

« Reply #48 on: Dec 12, 2019, 08:35:23 PM »
"three years in a lecture hall"

Unless that is supported by practical experience it comes down to 3 years of dodging the dole queue.

Diasi

« Reply #49 on: Dec 12, 2019, 08:41:41 PM »
"three years in a lecture hall"

Unless that is supported by practical experience it comes down to 3 years of dodging the dole queue.

The person to whom I refer was the type of person who'd step forward as soon as the lift shaft doors opened without checking that there was actually a lift there.

Some of the things they did, or weren't able to fathom out, were unbelievable.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

biglouis

« Reply #50 on: Dec 13, 2019, 03:07:24 AM »
The students who do best at universities are the mature students with a few years work and life experience. They wipe the floor with a 18 year olds from posh backgrounds. They had to make sacrifices to earn their place rather than having it handed to them on a plate.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #51 on: Dec 13, 2019, 07:20:09 AM »
Self employment isn’t always a good idea. My father, self-employed music teacher was bedridden for two years before dying aged 49 leaving behind a very impecunious family
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!