Author Topic: Dispatches last night, children in poverty  (Read 8131 times)

Hugh

Re: Dispatches last night, children in poverty
« Reply #45 on: Dec 06, 2019, 03:48:21 PM »
If the Labour party should get into power, all the cut backs which people have suffered over the last few years will have been in vain. All my life I have seen this happen so sickening.

ronyork

« Reply #46 on: Dec 06, 2019, 05:44:09 PM »
When will these people who fetch children into the world realise they need to be fed and clothed, perhaps if they returned to basic,s ie learn
to cook from very little and curb wasteful spending, it used to be like this ,do not remember much belly aching when I was younger and families were family units families ate together and created their own entertainment,ô

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #47 on: Dec 06, 2019, 07:06:43 PM »
If the Labour party should get into power, all the cut backs which people have suffered over the last few years will have been in vain. All my life I have seen this happen so sickening.
I was interested to know what POOR meant, especially when people talk
about 4 million or even 7 million families being in poverty.
There are different figures depending upon which institution actually wants to make a political point - being poor is not an absolute thing, but something in the eye of a political institution.
The figure I came across was 54% of national median income which is £29,600.
So a family with a net income of £15,000 a year is considered POOR.
Is that reasonable?

Hugh

« Reply #48 on: Dec 06, 2019, 07:15:12 PM »
Poverty is a person who cannot manage on their income, and live beyond their means.

Ode Iron

« Reply #49 on: Dec 06, 2019, 07:31:35 PM »
I'm on €7,500...
Masks are muzzles

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #50 on: Dec 06, 2019, 07:46:51 PM »
I'm on €7,500...
You need to get some advice, I'd think.

Ode Iron

« Reply #51 on: Dec 06, 2019, 07:55:52 PM »
Wife went to MABS 2 years ago:
" keep up the fine work..you should be a finance minister!"
Masks are muzzles

biglouis

« Reply #52 on: Dec 09, 2019, 03:25:32 PM »
Unfortunately you cannot stop feckless families from breeding or feckless women who go out whoring but you can take away their children as unfit parents and give them to responsible childless couples to bring up.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #53 on: Dec 09, 2019, 05:52:49 PM »
When will these people who fetch children into the world realise they need to be fed and clothed, perhaps if they returned to basic,s ie learn
to cook from very little and curb wasteful spending, it used to be like this ,do not remember much belly aching when I was younger and families were family units families ate together and created their own entertainment,ô

I entirely agree with you

Jacqueline

« Reply #54 on: Dec 09, 2019, 06:07:30 PM »
A great niece of my husband, at 18/19 decided her and her boyfriend wanted a baby.  Although they lived in a rented flat hadn't known each other very long.  The baby came along, within a very short time they had split up and she was left alone to bring up the child as he had found another girlfriend and lost interest.  A few years down the line, new chap, new baby, not long he turns out to be a wrongen and off he goes.  There she is two children to bring up alone.  To be fair to her she has always worked and is not on benefits, but she struggles on one wage.  Multiply this all over the country and it isn't any wonder there is child poverty.   These neo liberal/leftys who don't think traditional family's matter have a lot to answer for.

GrannyMac

« Reply #55 on: Dec 09, 2019, 06:17:18 PM »
Unfortunately you cannot stop feckless families from breeding or feckless women who go out whoring but you can take away their children as unfit parents and give them to responsible childless couples to bring up.

There are far more children in care than there are potential adopters.  Most adopters want young children with as little damage as possible. 

The feckless women couldn't get pregnant on their own, more needs to be done to make the feckless men take responsibility.

As in Jacqueline's neice's case, she's doing it alone, yet both her children have fathers.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Hugh

« Reply #56 on: Dec 09, 2019, 06:28:43 PM »
Many children end up with a foster parent who do a good job, but it is a business to them in some cases, and the young person as to move out at the age of 18 I believe, I could be wrong at that point. It must be very difficult for any young person to go through that.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #57 on: Dec 09, 2019, 07:15:03 PM »
Back in the mid 80's I had 5 professional contractural foster parents as clients.
Yes it is a business, yes a very profitable one.

Hugh

« Reply #58 on: Dec 09, 2019, 07:23:17 PM »
Living with a family for many years then having to move out at 18 must be very difficult for any young person.

GrannyMac

« Reply #59 on: Dec 09, 2019, 09:59:49 PM »
Living with a family for many years then having to move out at 18 must be very difficult for any young person.

It can be Hugh. When I did rehousing interviews, it concerned me that although we had a duty to house care leavers at 18, they weren't always emotionally stable or mature, especially if they'd not had a great start.   Although my own children left home at a similar age, one for university, one to work abroad, they had their dad and me, and other family if they needed anything. They also had a home to come back to if things went wrong.

Of course, some foster carers step up even after the payments stop, and some adopt children that they foster. No money is attached to most adoptions.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais