Author Topic: Dispatches last night, children in poverty  (Read 8133 times)

GrannyMac

Re: Dispatches last night, children in poverty
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2019, 06:56:41 PM »
Bazzer, Lots of truth in the balancing benefits around reduced working hours, or even no work. People sent from the job centres for experience in charities sometimes seem to lack the personal pride or work ethic that most of us have.

Women who've been at home for years looking after children, courtesy of the state, now find they are expected to job hunt as a condition of receiving benefits. Its the right move IMO. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

brian54

« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2019, 11:23:15 PM »
My wife died and my 2 daughters were not left in poverty. I had a job.

Audrine

« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2019, 11:58:31 PM »
Sounds like an interesting program. I'd liked to have watched it.
Today our television is all about Trump & President Macron & Trump's visit to England. Not really interested as I am not a Trump admirer.Audrine

zoony

« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2019, 11:58:36 PM »
And if you hadn't?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:15:44 AM »
My wife died and my 2 daughters were not left in poverty. I had a job.

You'd been to university Brian, puts the likelihood of earning a decent income just a wee bit higher doncha think?  Maybe not so much now, but certainly back then.  I don't expect you to understand that not everyone has the same capacity or ability to earn more than a low wage. Perhaps you don't realise that not everyone is in a job with a reliable pension scheme that pays out death benefits.  If I had died in service in my long term job, my family would have received 4 times my salary, then a pension.   Money doesn't lessen grief, but it certainly removes the immediate financial worry. 

R. Gervais

ronyork

« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:54:23 AM »
 Yes I feel great sympathy for these families, But how many of these families can afford drink/fag,s the latest T.V.s etc /cloths the latest styles shoes  (keeping up with the neighbours)  instead of feeding their children, I have seen these hard up families in my town in the coffee bars /nail bars fags alight while with the children,they must learn to live within the depth of their pocket as my mother did and many others, no food banks then! I might suggest a lack of education

GrannyMac

« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:26:26 AM »
No denying some families are like that Ron.  The programme didn't investigate those issues, it was more focused on the children.  The resilience and positive attitude of an eight year old girl, nicely spoken, polite and funny and the same age as my youngest grandchild, reminded me just how lucky the children I know are.  Parents in work, well fed, clothed and housed, and not worrying about their situation. 

R. Gervais

biglouis

« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2019, 04:23:12 PM »
I saw the program in question. Yes they cherry picked families who had been "managing" and then hit some kind of life changing crisis like divorce, severe illness, etc.

They were not the usual feckless single wh***s with a bunch of kids all by different fathers and no shame.

In the end these kids who have to do without material goods will have to grow up hard and smart, not like the weak whingers who get handed life on a plate.

Some of the most successful business people I know personally came from a tough background where their parents did not know where the next meal was coming from. I can recall my own mother telling me she had 10 pence in her purse (old pence that is).
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

mick607

« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2019, 04:31:04 PM »
I saw the program in question. Yes they cherry picked families who had been "managing" and then hit some kind of life changing crisis like divorce, severe illness, etc.

They were not the usual feckless single wh***s with a bunch of kids all by different fathers and no shame.

In the end these kids who have to do without material goods will have to grow up hard and smart, not like the weak whingers who get handed life on a plate.

Some of the most successful business people I know personally came from a tough background where their parents did not know where the next meal was coming from. I can recall my own mother telling me she had 10 pence in her purse (old pence that is).
I agree with you 100%.
As a seven year old my dad died aged 44 leaving my mother with four kids to bring up, me being the youngest. I know what it is like to go without & what hard times meant.This generation of no hopers want everything on a plate for free.
Notice how the so called poor still manage to sport the latest iphone in hand.Benefit Britain has never had it so good.That's why all the immigrants (legal or illegal) want to come here.

GrannyMac

« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2019, 04:41:47 PM »

Glad someone else saw it. We're so used to the stereotypical feckless families, it's easy to forget some have actually tried and failed for various reasons, even after doing ok for most of the time.  Once you fall completely through the cracks it's so much harder to get back up.

R. Gervais

Hugh

« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2019, 04:46:15 PM »
Vote for Corbyn, every one will be out of poverty  ??? ??? ???  every wage earner will be £6000 year better off  ??? ??? ???  pensioners will be better off  ??? ??? ???  £10 an hour for 16 year olds. How much they will get after tax they have not said  ??? ??? ???  Looks like Christmas is coming early  ;D ;D ;D if he gets in.

GrannyMac

« Reply #26 on: Dec 04, 2019, 04:58:15 PM »
No chance. I think Ms Abbott must have been in charge of the financial calculations! 

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #27 on: Dec 04, 2019, 05:23:29 PM »
pensioners will be better off  ??? ??? ??? 

Correction, only some pensioners will be better off.

The last Labour government stole private pension funds to ensure that those who didn't have a private pension didn't miss out.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Hugh

« Reply #28 on: Dec 04, 2019, 05:52:34 PM »
The whole lots a fairy tale taxation will have to go up. Rich people he is hoping to tax, will have their bags packed ready to flit. All the cuts Conservatives have had to make, is the fault of Labour party with all their borrowing. If Corbyn gets in all the pain we have had will be for nothing.

Johned

« Reply #29 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:26:03 PM »
I note Corbyn's latest wheeze is that Chequers the traditional retreat of the serving Prime Minister is to be offered to a poor family!  It did occur to me; does this property not belong to the nation and is it in the prime minister's gift therefore, to hand it on to whomsoever he likes?  As Jerry is reputed to be a millionaire, perhaps it would be more appropriate and self sacrificial on his part, to hand his own personal residence over to the deserving poor!